When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Differences between old and new MBW 1665s

watchguy51

I have an MBW 1665 great white incoming, supposedly an older variation that better accepts gen parts. I was wondering if anyone knew all the differences between the old and new MBWs.

Thanks!

he valve is functional on the real old ones, different bracelet too. caseback may also be slightly different

the fact that mbks are sold as accepting gen parts is slightly misleading. a gen isnert should fit, sometimes not. a gen crystal should fit, gen dial, and a gen bracelet should as well -sort of. thats really about it. you want to fit gen springbars you have to drill it out. you want to fit a gen crown you have to do the work of removing the tube and cleaning the threads +countersinking it, you want a functional he valve you have to drill it out and install new hardware, you want to fit a gen movement -you have to modify the movement ring. theres quite a bit still required to actually 100% accept gen parts, it is not plug and play ready unless the seller you bought it from has modified before shipping so that it is plug and play ready.

but when complete it is very rewarding

http://www.flickr.co...with/6203387915

for the 1665 you also need to remove the caseback paint, possibly trim the cgs depending on how well your case was cut, matte spray the dial and paint the hands to match dial marker color, youll notice on the mbks theyre slightly off. if youre not modifying the he valve at least add some tonal differences in reflection.

6203823414_cfcd6c07a9_z.jpg

6203706450_066d521b89_z.jpg

throw in a slow beat 2846 movement. if youre not replacing most of the bracelet wear it on a nato strap if your concern is about rep accuracy.

*oh and dont forget to add that retaining ring gasket that the factory doesnt include for complete waterproofing, its a smaller sized gasket than the caseback

you have a bit of a journey ahead of you.

Thanks for the reply, this is really helpful. Do you know which era MBW had the more accurate caseback? And did neither version have properly drilled lug holes for 2mm springbars? I also heard that the older ones had glued down dials with 'Singer' stamped in the back just like the gens. Do you happen to know if these are any better or have more of a texture?

I'll have to post my own pics of the watch once it comes in.

he valve is functional on the real old ones, different bracelet too. caseback may also be slightly different

the fact that mbks are sold as accepting gen parts is slightly misleading. a gen isnert should fit, sometimes not. a gen crystal should fit, gen dial, and a gen bracelet should as well -sort of. thats really about it. you want to fit gen springbars you have to drill it out. you want to fit a gen crown you have to do the work of removing the tube and cleaning the threads +countersinking it, you want a functional he valve you have to drill it out and install new hardware, you want to fit a gen movement -you have to modify the movement ring. theres quite a bit still required to actually 100% accept gen parts, it is not plug and play ready unless the seller you bought it from has modified before shipping so that it is plug and play ready.

but when complete it is very rewarding

http://www.flickr.co...with/6203387915

for the 1665 you also need to remove the caseback paint, possibly trim the cgs depending on how well your case was cut, matte spray the dial and paint the hands to match dial marker color, youll notice on the mbks theyre slightly off. if youre not modifying the he valve at least add some tonal differences in reflection.

6203823414_cfcd6c07a9_z.jpg

6203706450_066d521b89_z.jpg

throw in a slow beat 2846 movement. if youre not replacing most of the bracelet wear it on a nato strap if your concern is about rep accuracy.

*oh and dont forget to add that retaining ring gasket that the factory doesnt include for complete waterproofing, its a smaller sized gasket than the caseback

you have a bit of a journey ahead of you.

Not sure if this can help me get any more info about my incoming MBW, but here is a photo and some video screenshots of it. If anyone can give me a general idea to the extent of the modding/parts that may be needed, that would be great.

mymbw.jpg

caseback paint will need removing

date will need realigning from the looks of it.

lug holes need drilling judging from the bars that are currently installed.

cgs look done (?)

crown doesnt look like a stock rep one either, so maybe the crown and tube are already done.

better pics?

align yourself with a trustworthy and talented modder, they will take care of it for you. unless youre a huge DIY guy

thanks for this! I'll take good pics when it arrives, and I will have to find someone in the Toronto area to drill out the lug holes (hm, who I wonder)

caseback paint will need removing

date will need realigning from the looks of it.

lug holes need drilling judging from the bars that are currently installed.

cgs look done (?)

crown doesnt look like a stock rep one either, so maybe the crown and tube are already done.

better pics?

align yourself with a trustworthy and talented modder, they will take care of it for you. unless youre a huge DIY guy

I would really like a functioning HEV in my 1665. I contacted Yuki for the valve, but he doesn't have them. Anyone have any ideas where to get one?

I posted an Hev How-to a few years ago, but it may have gotten lost during 1 of the forum upgrades. I will have a look & update this if I can locate a link for you.

Here you go. Unfortunately, some of the pic links are broken (I no longer have the pics), but read through all the links in my posts, which contain additional sources/details (& possibly some pics).

Thanks Freddy!

Adding: on a page where you have great pictures of the actual valve you used, you mention to took it out of a cheap sub. Do you have any idea of that sub model and where to get one?

Really, a ton of information on those pages and associated links..thanks again Freddy.

Adding: on a page where you have great pictures of the actual valve you used, you mention to took it out of a cheap sub. Do you have any idea of that sub model and where to get one?

It came out of a cheap, 10+ year-old (at the time the article was written) Comex Sub, which was shown/described in 1 or more of the links within the text. I believe that model is still available today. Check our seller's listings for Comex Subs (other Sub models may contain working Hevs as well).

In the article by Freddy from the link I posted a couple posts back..Freddy has the hole measurements, it's a stepped hole.

I saw a gen nos HE valve for sale a couple months ago on Vrf ..it was crazy high and sold fast..wish I would have bought it now.