When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot painstakingly recreates a mysterious, 2,100-year-old clockwork relic - but why?

sempire

I used to read a lot about the Antikythera Mechanism in those "Strange Mysteries of the Unknown Universe"-type books. (You know those Arthur C. Clarke or Time-Life compilations with chapters on Hanging Rock or spontaneous human combustion.) Back then, the writers would tease that nobody knew what the Mechanism did, before making some lame link to Atlantis.

I had no idea how much progress had been made in studying in studying the device over the past few years. Really fascinating stuff, and good on Hublot for spending a few bucks on this project. Now if only they'd ditch the brain-dead faux-Greek alphabet: "ΠΘVΣMBΣ℞"? Really?

...Really fascinating stuff, and good on Hublot for spending a few bucks on this project. Now if only they'd ditch the brain-dead faux-Greek alphabet: "ΠΘVΣMBΣ℞"? Really?

EXACTLY!!! Recreating that movement was a stroke of genius, I dont think it was particularly hard to be honest, they worked off the schematics other people made, trust me, they didn't deconstruct the design of the clock. People have made their own versions in Lego Technics, so I suspect it's not that hard.

Point is, they do this genuinely marvellous thing by recreating this clock, and then just [censored] on it by something stupid like this faux-Greek lettering.

Something else, Biver made this really idiotic comment about Hublot's history. Loosely paraphrased, he said, 'instead of Hublot being around from 18XX to today, by buildin this timepiece. we can now say that Hublot has been around from 61 BC to today'... It just screams fake and silly, not unlike their watches ;p

- jokes on the last comment, the BB is kinda growing on me :)