When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Comparative review: BK Transformer and Noob GMT/Explorer Hybrid

sneed12

Comparative review: BK Transformer and Noob GMT/Explorer (I think I need a better name for it)

Like many of us, I lusted after a Noob GMT Master II or, better yet, a BK Transformer (which uses the same case) for a long time. At the time I was looking (more than a year ago) they were as rare as hen's teeth, though, and I never managed to grab one.

I got tired of waiting, and eventually built my own. I went through a period last year where I bought 6-7 Noob Explorer IIs, and I had an extra BK Explorer II lying around. It occurred to me that if I could get a bezel assembly installed on it, then I could build a GMT Master II instead. So BK sold me a Noob GMT Master II dial, and I swapped it onto the guts of a BK Explorer II (so my watch still has a BK'ified DW and Swiss movement that he originally provided).

Last week a Transformer popped up in the FS section, and I decided to grab it and compare what I built to BK's masterpiece. Here are the two watches (Pepsi is mine, Coke is the BK Transformer):

100_4254.JPG

In all pics, the Transformer is the one with spring bars installed. This particular Transformer has a gen bezel insert, and I was interested to see how the rep insert (I think my pepsi insert was originally from WSO) compares. The fonts and overall quality on the gen bezel insert are better, but it's not a really drastic difference. With this model there's no pearl to give it away. I don't think if I were asked to pick the gen insert I'd be able to from pics.

100_4235.JPG

The big differences between the construction become more apparent when you take the bezel off. The Noob GMT Master II case (which BK used as the base for his Transformer) has pretty much identical rehaut depth and height, but does not have gen-like construction, it uses a press-in crystal like a Noobmariner. The Explorer II case uses gen-like construction. I have no idea why the factory did it this way, but they did. The obvious way to tell by looking at the front of the watch is to see the white ring of the gasket on the press-in crystal. Gen-style construction does not have that, instead it has a silver "shelf" around the rehaut.

Close ups of both. I didn't disassemble the Transformer at all except to remove the bezel (which is supposed to come off) since BK sealed and pressed everything and I didn't want to have to re-waterproof it.

100_4236.JPG

100_4237.JPG

Side shot showing the rehauts from the outside. You can see the groove where the paper-clip-style retaining wire goes on the Transformer. You can also see that the engraving on my case is "wrong" since it started life as an Explorer.

100_4238.JPG

Both crystals installed. The Explorer case takes a gen-style gasket that slides over the outside of the rehaut rather than sitting on the inside, which is why that white ring doesn't show up under the crystal.

100_4239.JPG

Shot of the bezels. The bezel assembly I'm using is also WSO, and it kinda sucks--it was horrifically expensive ($180 IIRC) and the fit is too loose. I've got a TW bezel assembly on the way, and I hope that it will fit better.

100_4240.JPG

Turn the bezels over and you'll see a difference again:

100_4241.JPG

The Noob GMT bezel uses clicky teeth on the underside like a Noobmariner, while the other one has teeth on the inside edge in the style of the gen. You can see where BK ground the teeth down on the GMT bezel and it looks like he did some fitting to make sure it's flush to the case all around as well. You can also see the work he did to the paper-clip wire to make it a "Transformer"--that must have taken forever to get fitted correctly! It's just tight enough that the bezel stays on, but will come off with light finger pressure so you can swap bezels easily. It's really impressive work.

100_4245.JPG

Here you see the bezel retaining ring fitted to the Explorer case. It slides around the outside of the gasket, and the crystal is held in by the pressure of the inner diameter. Since the WSO bezel is a hair too large, the crystal isn't held on all that tightly and the watch isn't very waterproof. I'm hoping the TW bezel assembly cures that as well.

100_4248.JPG

Bezel installed. You can see my custom clickspring which I made out of a guitar string. After I spent an hour with a tweezers trying to build that [censored] thing, I found out that you can buy them premade (I thought I invented the idea, but apparently the gen works exactly the same way) for $3. Oh well.

100_4249.JPG

Fully assembled. Look how much nicer the CG's look on the BK watch than on mine. They're trimmed perfectly, they're even, and the corners are sharp. BK does a great job with the CG trim. Mine never look quite that nice.

Here's the first pic again:

100_4254.JPG

Can you see the white ring now that you're looking for it?

Sneed, nice write-up. I agree that BK's transformer is quite nice. I've been looking for just the Coke insert/bezel/wire set. I have have the black and the pepsi but would love to complete the set. I never wear the black since I have all these Subs!

Let me know if you want to part with the Coke or trade for the black!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...