When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1 Year after, Final result of Navitimer Fighters Modification

Monito1975

I bought a v3 fighters replica a year ago and I decided I would modify it to almost original genuine condition. But is not that easy the fighters navitimer replicas come in many flavor and sizes and one must find the correct one. The v3 has a sunken date wheel due to the GMT plate complication on top, as you can see in the picture taken by Sneed12 below(by the way, thanks for the Rolex Sneed great watch). The watch went to Domi and he sugested to take the plate away and make an overlay with the original DW I have, no problem due to the feet of the rep dial being very long, amazingly the stem lined up ok!!. By pure luck I manage to get my hands on a V2 Fighters in Beijing, so I send it to Domi, with a Gen T-swiss Navitimer Dial with a great patina on the lume, Gen hands and gen breitling cal 13 movement, Domi took care of sending the crystal to AR. He put everything together and voilá an other Franken-Navi was born. Great job by Domi, no need to shave the Dial with this one, pretty surprised by this!

So here is the Formula used: 1 v2 case, 1 v3 caseback, 1 set of gen Navi hands( small ones in black), one AR crystal, one Breitling cal 13 7750 movement, one gen bracelet, one T-swiss old navitimer dial and on heluva watchmaker: Domi.

Enjoy the pics

post-34293-0-59358900-1324160454.jpg

post-34293-0-97860300-1324160481.jpg

post-34293-0-08845600-1324160502.jpg

post-34293-0-55520300-1324160511.jpg

post-34293-0-64768600-1324160526.jpg

post-34293-0-57833500-1324160553.jpg

post-34293-0-76682200-1324160582.jpg

post-34293-0-29415700-1324160604.jpg

post-34293-0-79999900-1324160632.jpg

post-34293-0-65145400-1324160678.jpg

post-34293-0-65792700-1324160696.jpg

Many thanks to Domi for he´s great job, thanks to all tips and recomendation by all RWG members, telling again what they have posted hundred of times(Sneed, Andrew, Polexpete, Hackr, Whitesox etc etc....) Really thank you all.

PS: (already on the hunt for a gen slide rule hehehe :inverted: ) This just gets better and better.

Thanks Andrew, The case was after lots of debating is a V2 I think, remember we were trying to figure it out, the weird think is that many members that have have used the V2 had to shave the dial, according to Domi this was not needed. I also had the V3 version which everybody said it was not good for modification due to the sunken datewheel but here is the other think Domi took the GMT plate away and installed the original DW with an overlay and it looks great, I gave him the watch so if anybody is interested he might sell it.

RGDS

The only reason I used the V2 case is beacause the slide rule was a little more white in color than the V3(kind of yellowish in sunlight)

According to Domi stem alignement was ok on the V3 version , The Dial had long feet and the gap left by the removalt of the GMT plate was solve with a overlayed Datewheel. One thing I like to point it´s that I did not ask Domi to do the modd in the V3 but he just did it and returned to me so I gave the watch to him, I also asked him to fix my speedmaster, which omega, breitling and rolex dealer have been scared to touch, always telling me to send it to the factory and pay 560 euros for service, Domi took it apart the same day, found out the crown pinion was broken replaced it and did not charged me a penny, the watch is up and running now, beautiful 47 jewell 1143 caliber (and tricky to calibrate too)

post-34293-0-97184000-1324301957.jpg

post-34293-0-40875600-1324302001.jpg

post-34293-0-04962200-1324302054.jpg

One thing is that the Tritium lume in the Navitimer is very weak almost null, afert 21 years it degrades forming a nice golden patina, the lume in the Gen hands it´s a bloody torch it iluminates the whole dial at night and stays up to 8 hours. I was tempted to relume it with superluminova, the original dial had white markings but Domi told me to let the tritium be tritium and I think he was right. (after all it got there after 21 years og ageing)

Edited by Monito1975

Andreww he say he used a v3 caseback ...

Yeh, but Monito refers to the v3 as having the sunken datewheel. That is actually V4.

V1 - stickered subdials

V2 - the good one

V3 - Recessed subdial & bad sliderule

V4 - Sunken datewheel

But, I digress. The V4s actually came with the fighters caseback when it was released, then later with the A23322 (tricompax) caseback. Although both are wrong for this particular dial, the A23322 caseback would be far more accurate.

One thing is that the Tritium lume in the Navitimer is very weak almost null, afert 21 years it degrades forming a nice golden patina, the lume in the Gen hands it´s a bloody torch it iluminates the whole dial at night and stays up to 8 hours. I was tempted to relume it with superluminova, the original dial had white markings but Domi told me to let the tritium be tritium and I think he was right. (after all it got there after 21 years og ageing)

I would have probably tried to age the look of the hands to match the dial lume. I know some modders were using coffee, others cigarette smoke, to do it. The lume on the hands just looks a bit to fresh for the watch. Who cares that they glow brighter at night, thats a bonus in my eyes.

BTW, has he painted the subdial hands black? Hard to tell from the pics, but if he has, its an excellent job.

Edited by andreww

Oh? ok then I correct myself it was the V4 caseback with A23322 serial number.

I talk to Domi about the lume but he told me to let the Dial as it was, one because it´s a Gen dial brand new that has been aged for 21 years, 2 because aged tritium markers add a distinctive look to the watch, third reason was that it wouldn´t have the original white hands to match, so I resigned my stubburness and I think it was worth it. It looks like a fresh serviced old navitimer. He did painted the subdial hands black, I could not find the original handset, IMHO it looks great I ve seen many Gen Old Navi´s in this handset-dial combination for sale up to 3500 euros.Here is a pic of how the dial would have be when new, for me this is my grail watch, enjoy.

post-34293-0-62658900-1324323811.jpg

Edited by Monito1975

@ Importr, ok good to know this bracelet came with the v2 case, it´s actually a very well made navi bracelet and the screws are facing the same side with the correct swivel ends at the glasp. I think it could be possible to find the original one but it would be at least 400 usd. I kept the Navi bracelet it looks nice with a suit. :)

Im chasing a GEN dial. Will they fit the V4 movement? Thanks

Domi said it would fit the V4 no problem, but there are so many colors and flavors of the same versions, I was told I would have to shave the Dial and this was not the case, the worst that could happen is that you will have to shave it a bit (ca 0.5 mm), another thing I ve seen it´s that depending on the dial or case the bezel will overlap over the dial, sometimes more sometimes less. I would have as an alternate choice the V4 dial repainted in black and superlumed, is not a bad one I saw the V4 with the original DW and it looked ok.

• 2 weeks later...