When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Definition of OEM

poretl

Hi guys,

what's up? Here's what's up with me. I got confused again. When one says these straps are OEM what does that mean? They came out of the Panerai factory? Or someone else made them for Panerai at Panerai's request? Is it possible that a so called OEM Panerai strap has no Panerai logo or name on it? Is it possible?

Thx!

Edited by poretl

So NO EXCEPTION? That's where I wanted to get. A guy sent me pictures of an alligator strap and he called it OEM. No Panerai trademark was to be found anywhere.

Then it's not OEM. Be careful also that some folks try to fool others by calling it GEN alligator Panerai just to defend it later as clever marketing since the strap is made from an alligator hide and fits a Panerai watch.

Buy guys say a strap is indeed gen alligator leather with the Panerai markings on it (I suppose that would be the easy part) how on Earth can one tell if it's indeed OEM? Now I assume the quality would be super as many actually argue that aftermarket straps can be better in quality than the OEM ones. So how about it?

I guess let me put it this way. If I showed you this strap ans told you it's OEM would you have any objections? I mean the marking are there, supposedly it's genuine croc leather, the craftmaanship looks ok. It costs $100.

http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/pam177-m-11-ultimate-edition-on-genuine-brown-caiman-crocodile-leather-strap/

WEll, you know for a fact that the strap you showed is a rep, and not made by the same guys that panerai uses. So it's certainly not OEM. Might have panerai stamps on it, but so do all PAM reps; doesn't make them OEM either.

Unless you've purchased from panerai or their official strap makers, it's considered aftermarket ( I'd wager that even buying it from their official strap makers is considered aftermarket on some gen forums). How can you tell whether a strap is OEM? Tough call really - there is a difference in strap quality, but at the higher end that difference shrinks massively. I have the gen 359 strap and the rep; quality difference exists but not so much that I'd know if I didn't have both in front of me (stitch color is off, but thats particular to this model).

Edited by kingkaiser

Yes, all that is good. But the question remains. If someone is selling an OEM (or they claim it is) and I'm in the market for an OEM is there any way of knowing other than doign my reserach on the seller whether they can be trusted or not? I know I can go and pay $400 to an AD but one may be selling a (perhaps used) one for half that which happens every day.

There are plenty of other strapmakers that are every bit as good as Panerai straps. Panerai, like most watch companies, subcontract out the strap making but an OEM or gen strap will, as people have said, have Panerai branding. In terms of buying second hand straps I usually look on Paneristi on their Accessories Corner or buy from folks I trust. Most offerings on risti have pictures and a fake would be picked up pretty quickly.

For a lot of life on these forums, the key is to buy the seller. If a guy with 5 posts is selling something claiming its OEM, I'd be hesitant to buy. If a long-time member did so, I'd be less apprehensive, especially if the language was clear and unambigious (as others have pointed out "Gen alligator panerai strap" is not the same as "genuine panerai alligator strap").

The gen foraa are often decent places to buy, especially from established traders as the markup on a fake strap wouldnt be worth their ability to sell their gen watches later. But again, as you'll note, I'm talking about buying from established members.

I'm curious as to why you're not looking at good aftermarket straps though - I have a gen Pam with gen straps; I swapped out the strap within hours for an aftermarket one that I though looked better. There are loads of good, reputable strap makers on this forum and others that might be able to match/beat Panerai in strap quality.

I guess let me put it this way. If I showed you this strap ans told you it's OEM would you have any objections? I mean the marking are there, supposedly it's genuine croc leather, the craftmaanship looks ok. It costs $100.

http://www.puretimew...-leather-strap/

Well, I got that one myself recently. Here is an easy way to tell -- the hide is good, but filling is too stiff, once put on my wrist it gave me a rush (I normally don't suffer from allergies), this is very much not like the OEM or any good quality product. The down side of this test, you have to buy it to know it and suffer the consequences of ownership :pimp:

Straps are as much about your preferences as anything else. A number of folks swear by specific strap makers. I actually like buying second hand OEM's. The one benefit to buying second hand is that you can resell them for reasonably close to what you paid if you buy something and don't like it when you get it. Obviously if you wear it around that is not the case. ;)

There are dozens of excellent strap makers here and elsewhere. I don't think I would bother buying a high end rep strap. There is no reason to fake a strap. Beyond the forums go take a look on Risti. You will see everything from high end to low end and every size, shape and material.