When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ongoing watch problems! Help needed, please!

danielv2000

I started a couple of posts recently about 2 problems i've been having.

1. I have something lose in one of my watches. I thought it could be the rotor screw becoming undone but that's not it since the screw is now secured and no longer getting loose. When I walk, I can hear something rattling in there. I have no idea what it could be.

2. I have a slightly lopsided dial. I am not sure if the dial is warped or it's something inside.

I took them to a watch smith I know. He doesn't work on reps but agreed just to have a look as a favor. He saw nothing with problem #1 but agreed that the screw is fine.

With problem #2, he could not even open the case back! I had tried myself but this thing is tight like it came out of Rolex headquarters. He was so impressed with the watch build with a gen crystal, crown, tube, insert, drilled lugs and the tightness of the case back that he's convinced it's a gen! It's not, believe me.

I am now out of ideas! If he can't open it, what the hell!? I know he was nervous handling the watch since I told him how much the parts were worth but he nearly broke a sweat trying.

Any suggestions? That problem #1 watch is a SSD and it's one of my favorites. Is it feasible forvme to remove the crown and movement and see what's happening? I've never tried anything like that!

For watch #2, I'm wondering if I could go about it the other way and remove the crystal? I've never done that either and that's a gen crystal! Maybe I could see if it is the dial that is warped.

Help, please as I'm out of ideas and running low on patience!

The rotor is rubbing on the case, maybe. Look for wear marks on the case back and the plate of the movement.

Was the watch technician using a real Bergeon rolex-type caseback remover? I find it hard to believe you could be using this tool and not get the back off.

Jkay,, he also might just have a dry noisy rotor! You know better than i do.. ;)

Quite right. I am surprised your watchmaker friend didnt put a daub of application-specific lubricant on the rotor bearing.

Don't use just any type of grease on this part! It can run down inside the movement over time and gum up the internals, requiring a strip-down and service.

UPDATE! Thanks to your suggestions, I tried holding the rotor and shaking the watch. Nothing.. SO it is the rotor making all the noise. I see no marks on the case back so I don't think it's rubbing. Without the case back on, i hear the "cling-clang, cling-clang".

What can I use to lubricate the sucker?

As for the impossible-to-open case-back, the watchsmith used one of the jaxa-type. I have a Bergeon 5537 tool which I also tried and, trust me, this thing is tight. If I had something to place the watch on while I turn with the Bergeon 5537, that would probably help but I am using my hands only.

Did the threads on the case back get stripped? I had one rep Rolex that took an hour of hard work to finally get open, I then saw why it was so hard to open (with a rolex case back tool) it was because the threads were totally DESTROYED!!

No, it fits perfectly in and the tool doesn't budge when I apply my Herculean strength! I wish I had a real work station where I could secure the watch head to something, then I could I use 2 hands and make this thing move.

Take it to a professional watchmaker & ask him to remove the caseback for you.

I did and couldn't. I also think he was nervous handling this watch when I explained it was made up of many gen parts. He doesn't normally handle reps or Rolex.

Duke73 is saying that the threads in the case were damaged on his watch. The case-back had been cross-threaded into the case. The outside of the case would look perfect in this example.

That makes more sense.BTW,what kind of lubricant should I use on the rotor?

Your "slightly lopsided dial" sounds like it might be associated with the real cause of the problem. Maybe the dial ring is not seated down good or maybe one of your movement clamps is loose and the movement is not setting flat. The dial should be flat to the rehaut all the way around.

Your "slightly lopsided dial" sounds like it might be associated with the real cause of the problem. Maybe the dial ring is not seated down good or maybe one of your movement clamps is loose and the movement is not setting flat. The dial should be flat to the rehaut all the way around.

Two different washes. The lopsided dial watch has no rotor issues.