When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Worried about a friend

tnm81

I'm a little worried about a friend of mine who seems to have become addicted to buying reps. We started out buying from Josh at the tail end of last year. I'm very happy with mine, and look forward to buying another in several months time. However, my friend has since gone on to buy two more watches within the past month and never seems to be satisfied to leave it there.

Understanding that there is much satisfaction in the process of purchasing and then owning a rep, how can I help him to manage this in a more sustainable way for the long term? Surely there is a limit to how many you should buy over the course of six months, while staying financially solvent.

thanks in advance

TNM

An additiction is an addiction. I'd express your concern, that you can't tell him what to do with his money, but he seems to be going overboard. Try to reason with him that even though buying a rep is fun/pleasureable, to do it repeatedly takes the pleasure out of it, that in repeating/overdoing the pleasure, it becomes pain - a rep purchase is no longer as satisfying, and the expense becomes an actual financial burden.

I'd say I'm addicted, I'd love to just buy buy buy, I only have about 6 reps bought over a couple years, but I've definitely wasted my money on a couple because I just had to have it. So I changed the process for myself and thought about the expense, and really what would it be like to actually have such and such a watch in my possession. Personally I look at a bunch of reps and really contemplate which one I would like to own, even though there are tons I'd like to just have. The process becomes more fun, examining watches, judging quality, checking out opinions/reviews, deciding what I really want and would wear on a regular basis. It's easy when you remember reps never quite live up to the real thing once you've bought it, and after the purchase you're pretty much done/out of luck as quality/life (even shipping) is a crapshoot (even though reps can be quite awesome, and obviously sellable/fixable).

Just be a friend. Friends look out for each other.

I'm not far behind. I placed my first order in December, then another in January after I saw the quality of the first watch with my own eyes. There is one more watch I want, but I don't see it at Josh or TT yet, so I'll wait. I guess I'd just encourage him to enjoy the watches he purchased before buying another - the whole point of buying these is to be able to wear them, right?

Tell your friend that I have a Omega PO I would like to unload. ;) just kidding.

This can be a very addictive hobby...before I knew It I had around 20 reps. I had to back up a little and slow myself down a bit.

I now have about half that many.. and my wallet/collection are better off for It.

Have a talk to your friend If you feel he's approachable on the subject....good luck. :)

Mike

I am addicted to watches. I have been addicted to hard drugs before (7 years ago) and I feel that my addiction have only switched to other areas (Watches, clothes e.t.c). I see something I really want and then a feeling comes over me. Its almost like the kick you get from drugs. Have tried to stay away for a while, but it draws me back in.

I started here a couple of years ago and I am up to 20 watches. Always NEED a new one. During planning and reading about a new purchase I am extatic :) When I get it it goes in my watch box :( But I have started to wear a lot of them lately.

Its dangerous if you have the tendency to addictive behavior like me. And maybe your friend has it aswell.

I would say what I would say about any addiction: As long as your friend has the financial means to support his habit, and it is not negatively impacting on his life, then I fail to see a problem... If either or both of those caveats change, them by all means talk to him and express your concerns :)

My younger brother collected MLB batting helmets. He ended up collecting every helmet in Major League Baseball. I know coin collectors who collect entire series of coins.. like every version of the Buffalo Nickel. Nothing wrong with collecting helmets,nickels, or watches.

Be careful and make sure you Know there's a problem and not just an enthusiastic passion. Alot of these reps can be had for under $300 .. that's fairly inexpensive.

If you're still thinking there's a problem address it from an financial standpoint.. start off by saying " There's this Rep I want- but I want to pay cash for it and have enough money left over for blah, blah,blah ... How are you managing the financial aspect of your collecting?" Opening up a dialogue on the financial aspect of watch collecting will at least get him thinking about it.. you hope that after thinking comes planning and budgeting. If he's planning and budgeting and not maxing out 20 credit cards he's fine.

Started buying reps in July last year....now up to 24 in the collection, yes I am a little addicted too :bangin: I have 5 more on the wishlist at the moment!

I love collecting and the quality of the reps we can buy now far exceed the quality of a few years ago, the way I look at it if all my watches were Gens I would not be in a position to afford them, as it is I can indulge the rep habit and enjoy it for what it is.....whilst wearing a different watch every day!

Note to myself....thin the herd soon :inverted: make way for the next 5 !

My younger brother collected MLB batting helmets. He ended up collecting every helmet in Major League Baseball. I know coin collectors who collect entire series of coins.. like every version of the Buffalo Nickel. Nothing wrong with collecting helmets,nickels, or watches.

Be careful and make sure you Know there's a problem and not just an enthusiastic passion. Alot of these reps can be had for under $300 .. that's fairly inexpensive.

If you're still thinking there's a problem address it from an financial standpoint.. start off by saying " There's this Rep I want- but I want to pay cash for it and have enough money left over for blah, blah,blah ... How are you managing the financial aspect of your collecting?" Opening up a dialogue on the financial aspect of watch collecting will at least get him thinking about it.. you hope that after thinking comes planning and budgeting. If he's planning and budgeting and not maxing out 20 credit cards he's fine.

Thats some very good advice...nice approach.

I guess I shouldnt be surprised with a name like "OldCorvette" ;)

Mike

• Like 1

Ah the joys of being addicted to something. At the start it's hard to control yourself but after a while you seem to only enjoy a few watches and therefore feel inclined to selling off any surplus ones. He will probably slow down soon enough.

In the meantime focus on ensuring that you don't fall into that trap either :p

If you want to know what a watch addict looks like when they're forced to go 'cold turkey', I'm a living example... :whistling: I haven't taken to rolling senior citizens for their pension money, but the pain to be building/making/buying anything is bad :bangin::lol:

If you want to know what a watch addict looks like when they're forced to go 'cold turkey', I'm a living example... :whistling: I haven't taken to rolling senior citizens for their pension money, but the pain to be building/making/buying anything is bad :bangin::lol:

"rolling senior citizens for their pension money" :g: Now that sounds safe and profitable...thanks T. :tu:

It could be a lot worse !!

He could be spending his $$'s on drugs, loose women, or gambling!!

At least with watches, he'll always be able to recoup a sizable percentage of his "investment"...

At least that what I've told my wife for the past 20 years !!!! :pimp: :pimp:

When you add up what his rep addition cost, I'll bet it's still FAR less than what one GEN watch would cost.

I agree though that sometimes hobbies can become addictions, but as long as it's not destructive to his finances, it's relatively harmless. I know people that spend stupid money just so they can play golf on the weekend. A couple thousand in watches is not going to put someone on the street.

I know a friend of mine I told I was buying a few more REPS (he also has a few) just said in a friendly way, "maybe you should slow it down, how many watches do you really need?" And I did, you can only wear one watch at a time. I have around 12 reps (most are cheap ones). Sometimes it's good to get a wake up call, but it's not like my life was in a death spiral because I bought a few watches a year.

He'll probably get tired and move on after a while, and once he finds a few favorite, he can get a lot of his money back by selling the rest off.

I think it will wind down eventually. As long as your friend is having fun I think it's ok for now. Personally, I have all kinds of bills to pay but am eyeing up the explorer II, the 386, and the new 4000m diver.

I think if you both set a limit, say 8 watches, then you can't add another without selling one first. That's what many pen collectors do.

Lol at above.... :D

I think you're fine until you start to tell the wife you are going out for milk and a newspaper for 10 mins only to take a detour to the post office to try and intercept your incoming package from China, god forbid it might arrive at your door only to have the other half going "what's that?, there's Chinese writing on that package, is that another bloody watch".

Edited by cougar1

This thread is definitely for me. I've purchased 4 watches in about a month from Josh. Then my colleagues at work wanted one too so of course I decide to order one more with them. I know I need help. Like the above poster said if my wife sees one more package from China I'm pretty sure a divorce is the least of my worries.