When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

vandal.tbh

Thanks ifovco.

This is my first Asian mov't. Looks great through the caseback, but performance is another factor to be seen.

Appreciate your observations on your herd.

I have a gen 1980's Omega Speedmaster Professional that's still -1s/24h. 1984 Datejust at -2s/24h. 2007 GMTII at +5s/24h.

Then, there's the Breitling Colt GMT from 2005 that ran at -3s/24h but is now in a drawer since it degraded to over -15s/24h.

I can buy a decent rep or two for the cost of servicing that Breitling. But, it'll have to happen.

Well, back to this 6497; it's running too slow for me. Think I'm going to adjust the lever to the plus side. I've not done that to any inexpensive watch in years. Never on a gen.

--->>> How far to the plus side would you guess I need to push the lever to add +15 seconds a day?

Edited by GooseRoo

I think the key is to have it serviced, properly oiled, etc. Cause the rep movements are not put together in a proper way, then have the service person adjust it. After that you can re-adjust yourself. I don't know how far the lever needs to be pushed, I never tried but it would be nice to know.

I used to keep much more tracks as far as how fast or late my reps were but not in a while. I have definitely noticed that with the simple movements like 6497, they need to be adjusted every year.

Hi ifovco...

Adjusted before I read your post.

Running +1s/4h now. So, if that remains consistent, it will be at +6/24h. That, I would really like.

Never thought of getting a rep serviced. What's a ball park price on that?

Knowing that a COA adjust on my gen Rolex goes for ~$450 at a non-AD and my Breitling around $500, I'm curious what a rep service goes for.

How do independent shops generally feel about working a rep?

Thank you ifovco.

43b4783e-8a82-9bd8.jpg

Edited by GooseRoo

Congratulations ! Great piece.... Any one has compared Andrew's and Davidson's versions? , I own the latest an wondering about a comparison

Thank you.

Where can I see Davidson's? Site link?

Am thinking of a PAM236 or 386 next. But don't see much about them.

Nonetheless, I am extremely pleased with my 177. Dialed in to +5s/24h based on current adjustment.

Independent shops don't want to be associated with reps so even if they will be willing to work on a rep, they will not "advertise" it. It's hit or miss.

Servicing Panerai 6497 rep will cost you less then what you paid for it. Not sure what are latest prices, it's been quite a while since I serviced mine.

You can get many references from members here where to send your watch. I sent mine to Zigmeister a couple times and I will again in the future, great service. You can PM him and ask for price list.

Hi ifovco...

Adjusted before I read your post.

Running +1s/4h now. So, if that remains consistent, it will be at +6/24h. That, I would really like.

Never thought of getting a rep serviced. What's a ball park price on that?

Knowing that a COA adjust on my gen Rolex goes for ~$450 at a non-AD and my Breitling around $500, I'm curious what a rep service goes for.

How do independent shops generally feel about working a rep?

Thank you ifovco.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...