When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first Gen Rolex!

FloridaSam

This past Thursday was my 40th birthday. For many, many years I have wanted a Datejust but I had some specific requirements,

stainless steel only, I wanted a more modern solid link bracelet, a fluted gold bezel and a unique dial. A long time ago I saw a gray dial with the white lettering and loved how the writing almost dissapeared at certain angles.

6 weeks ago, to my utter surprise I found what I was looking for locally. Unfortunately it was a basket case. Unfortunately I don't have a beofre pic as I drove directly to my watch guy, didn't pass go, didn't want to get attached until it was perfect. I was contemplating using this movement for a DRSD franken but it turned out so spectacular I don't have the heart to break this one up...it literally looks like it was made yesterday not 40 years ago....inside and out.

The movement worked but needed LOTS of work, in fact my guy said this was in some of the worst shape he's seen. But I knew the time he spent would result in an almost new watch and that's about what I got, a "new" 1972 Datejust with the dial, bracelet and bezel I wanted. A wonderful 40th birthday present for me....and the watch!

2q24z6x.jpg

29vyyy8.jpg

97iaz6.jpg