When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this Genuine? Guy walks into the shop looking to sell it.....

Justasgood

IMAG0710.jpg

IMAG0715.jpg

Case looked to clean. No service history recorded in caseback other than from 1/12 and no date stamp. Non original bracelet and the dial and hands look to new.

Bezel re-brushed and painted(badly) and the Chronometer was from 74, blank and wrong serial number. Clean 1570 inside.

I'm half in the bag and did not pay attention too much, but the first thing i looked at was the crown position. Crown will always sit a bit high. Crown position looks to be in a good position on this case. It's genuine, or the fake case makers figured it out.

The GMT hand is definitely vintage gen. All newer GMT hands such as RSC replacements are non-fade, and a brighter orange. You can see on the arm of this one that it is starting to fade. Additionally, all rep GMT hands do not have the "wider at the base, narrow at the tip" look of the hand, but are usually rectangular.

I believe that the Frog foot coronet is appropriate for a straight second hand, and the text lines up properly. It is not an aftermarket dial.

I think that the weird look of the 22, 24, and 2 is a result of the lighting and the sunburst of the metal. If it were an aftermarket case, I think there would be more problems than there is with it. When you think about it, you have three known gen items: Dial, hands, and movement. That alone is worth quite a bit, and I don't think it would be cobbled together in the possibly gen case for the sheer fact of trying to "pull one over." Also, about the lack of appropriate documentation, remember the key to vintage Rolex seems to be "Never say Never."

Looks like a fine watch! :)

$15k is too much. That is like high retail. When you say non original bracelet, do you mean aftermarket or just genuine but from a different time period? Considering your circumstances and the fact that you should be looking to pay wholesale, I'd say $7k-$9k is in order...and that's if everything checks out as genuine. If you're looking to flip for profit, $15k would leave you about $2k in the red.

The fact that it seems pieced together is a little worrisome. For the heck of me I never understood why people include a chronometer certificate that's for an entirely different watch. What is the point. Like the dude who is selling the Pam 27 and is including a warranty card from an 88!? WTF??

The fact that it seems pieced together is a little worrisome. For the heck of me I never understood why people include a chronometer certificate that's for an entirely different watch. What is the point. Like the dude who is selling the Pam 27 and is including a warranty card from an 88!? WTF??

Can't get my eyes off Lilo!