When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1675 bezel help

specialvat

I m having trouble with a gen bezel assembly, the insert is fine its the retaining ring and friction spring that I cant seem to make work.

When I manage to get the whole thing on and I can still lift the bezel off with just my finger nail. Should it be that easy ?

And the whole assembly comes off in one including the retaining ring. Should the retaining ring stay on even when the bezel comes off ?

Its a gen case so I m a bit lost, anyone clue me in to what I m doing wrong ?

I ve changed the crystal thinking the old one was warped due to age but the retaining ring still comes off, it is a little tighter however.

Is the dreaded friction spring causing all my problems ?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I bought a new friction spring but its a tiny bit too small to sit on the retaining ring. Unless its meant to be like that ?

:) You can tell I m lost.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

the whole assembly should stay in place once the bezel snap on the retention ring, the retention ring should be a tight fit on the crystal, the friction ring is what help the bezel to turn slowly. if all the parts are gen something is really off; any pictures maybe.

The retaining ring should require a press to seat completely onto the case. Granted they stretch over time, but all my gens require a good hard push to get the ring on. When you do that, it squeezes the crystal very snug against the raised rehaut.

So no, the ring should not come off easily, you should have to use tools (razor blade and brass tack hammer) to coax it off.

When that's on correctly, the bezel itself should be a TIGHT click to get it mounted. You should use your thumb and work it around the bezel, and it will eventually pop into place with a solid click.

A friction spring that's too small in inside diameter can interfere with the bezel clicking on... that makes it insanely hard to click into place but it can be done, though the bezel will almost refuse to turn.

When the bezel is clicked on correctly it will again take a tool to remove (pocketknife). It will be possible to turn by hand, but pressing down on it will make it much easier to turn.

When it's built right, the crystal will be firmly squeezed onto the case by a tight retaining ring, and the bezel will be firmly clicked onto the retaining ring so it can be removed only if you use a tool.

There are variances in ID and OD of gen parts, so you might need to hunt around to find pieces that go together better.

You replaced the crystal right? Is it GEN, or Aftermarket.

If the entire ring is lifting off that easily, sounds like the crystal might be a bit thin walled.

Also, if you put the old parts back on, does it go back together? Finally, you can technically test fit the bezel to the retaining wring sans tension spring.

The crystal is from cousinsuk and is aftermarket, with all the old parts on it all fits together but the retention ring lifts off with the bezel using no force.

Without the tension spring the bezel lifts off freely no click at all.

I ve glued the ring down for now so I can enjoy the watch without fear of loosing anything :)

Ronin's probably right. Crystals from different vendors often have different side wall thicknesses. So if your rep was designed for a thick-walled crystal & you replace the crystall with a thinner-walled crystal, the bezel retaining ring will be loose. Or, at least, will no longer snugly fit & seal around the crystal. There are also a variety of crystal retaining rings for rep cases. Their differing angles, heights & overhangs often make them non-interchangable. So it is usually easier, when replacing a crystal, to get another crystal to fit your retaining ring vs vice-versa.

The case set is all gen, the new crystal is aftermarket.

But the gen crystal made the retention ring even worse, the retention ring is either incorrect for this model or an aftermarket replacement.

Its cemented on now so I can wear the watch, just means the bezel cannot turn anymore.

Thanks for all the input guys.