When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thief Makes Off With $6,500 Rolex At TSA Checkpoint.

maxman

Some say the guy "stole It"....some say "finders keepers." tough luck.

I dont trust those TSA people...someone would stick that Rolex In there pocket and be out the door. The Rolex never to be seen again.

Me? I would contact the lost and found department..I would give them my name and phone number. If someone would call me and describe the watch...It's there's. Otherwise...It's mine.

What do you think? what would you do In this situation?

Mike.

http://www.liveleak....=0fe_1329280884

Why not trace the guy to his gate and check the flight's manifest?

Also, its not TSA at fault. Just bad luck running into some scum of society.

I did not blame the TSA for anything. I said I wouldnt trust them with the watch...would you?

As far as tracing the guy...the guy who stole It?..sounds good but these videos are probably several hours old after the fact.

I did not blame the TSA for anything. I said I wouldnt trust them with the watch...would you?

As far as tracing the guy..how do you know It's a guy? I dont think you read the story.. ;)

If the story is correct, the owner left it by accident. If I were to put my possession through checkout I would not leave my eyes on them for a second, specially something as value as a Rolex.

The video in your link clearly shows it's a guy who took the women's watch. You can see the guilt on his face as he looks up at the camera in the end.

Yep, he looked at her when he walked up.

He clearly knew the lady in black/white left it and he looks sheepish the rest of his time in the area.

Look at him at the end...guilt all over his face as he books on out of there.

Should be easy to look at the manifest, get names, and interview flight attendants, tsa people to ID the guy.

If the story is correct, the owner left it by accident. If I were to put my possession through checkout I would not leave my eyes on them for a second, specially something as value as a Rolex.

The video in your link clearly shows it's a guy who took the women's watch. You can see the guilt on his face as he looks up at the camera in the end.

When you said "the guy".. I thought you meant the owner of the watch..I edited my post.

I agree...the guy stole the watch and has no plans on trying to locate the owner...thats makes him a thief Imo.

I misunderstood your post...I see what you're saying now.

Mike

I've related this before, but I think it might help some people. When my son was 16 he got his 1st ticket. I went to court with him to fight it. The courthouse in Cook County has the metal detector we had to go through. I have shrapnel in my left leg so depending on how high the setting is the machine can alarm, so I pay attention to them. The deputy saw my 'Retro' GMT and told me to leave it on, a Rolex won't set off the machine. I hesitated, he showed me his and waved me through. No alarm. Fast forward to February of 2009, the TSA at LAX on my way to Honolulu. Before going through I had a conversation with a TSA man who was on break. So I asked him about Rolex setting of the machine. He said most of the gold Rolex watches do set it off, but the all stainless steel doesn't. I asked, but he didn't know why. I had my rep GMTIIc and decided to try it. Went right through, no alarm. I've since left it on through Chicago, Honolulu and Phoenix TSA stations many times, no alarm. I'd have to bet a genuine would do the same, and that means there is no reason to take it off and chance losing it.

I've related this before, but I think it might help some people. When my son was 16 he got his 1st ticket. I went to court with him to fight it. The courthouse in Cook County has the metal detector we had to go through. I have shrapnel in my left leg so depending on how high the setting is the machine can alarm, so I pay attention to them. The deputy saw my 'Retro' GMT and told me to leave it on, a Rolex won't set off the machine. I hesitated, he showed me his and waved me through. No alarm. Fast forward to February of 2009, the TSA at LAX on my way to Honolulu. Before going through I had a conversation with a TSA man who was on break. So I asked him about Rolex setting of the machine. He said most of the gold Rolex watches do set it off, but the all stainless steel doesn't. I asked, but he didn't know why. I had my rep GMTIIc and decided to try it. Went right through, no alarm. I've since left it on through Chicago, Honolulu and Phoenix TSA stations many times, no alarm. I'd have to bet a genuine would do the same, and that means there is no reason to take it off and chance losing it.

Good observations. I will try leaving mine on next time I go through. But now that they do the full body scan; I'm sure they won't allow me to keep it on. I usually take off possessions and place them all in my bag before going through security. Once I go through I check the bag immediately and take out what was put in.

I've since left it on through Chicago, Honolulu and Phoenix TSA stations many times, no alarm. I'd have to bet a genuine would do the same, and that means there is no reason to take it off and chance losing it.

I always take mine off (habit, mostly) but I also always put it in my bag. I never put anything loose in those bins--wallet, phone, ring, watch, keys all go in my laptop bag.

[Re-posted from the thread about the Good Samaritan street cleaner int he UK]

Disappointing that they weren't able to catch the guy, in spite of the video evidence and in spite of the incident being immediately reported.

Now, I may be pilloried for making such a controversial and incendiary remark, but... For all the hassle it puts travelers through, sometimes I don't think the TSA is all that useful!

There, I said it.

I always carry a backpack and throw all metal in there. And have my shoes off.

If you don't. You WILL have to, so stop holding me up.

Also if your in line at a fast food restaurant. 1. You will be required to order. 2. You will be required to pay. DO NOT wait till you get to the counter to thik about your order and take the damn credit card OUT of your purse. I don't want to see you digging for 5 minutes then calling the bank to inquire and consulting your grandmother on interest rates. All of this happens 100% of the time so do us all a favor and pay the F attention the the world occurring around you.

Disappointing that they weren't able to catch the guy, in spite of the video evidence and in spite of the incident being immediately reported.

Now, I may be pilloried for making such a controversial and incendiary remark, but... For all the hassle it puts travelers through, sometimes I don't think the TSA is all that useful!

There, I said it.

It's not, its not controversial. It's called fighting the last war. Don't spend money checking shoes, spend money figuring out what the NEXT terrorist is going to do.

If your a frequent flier you can get on a pre approved list to get faster screenings

I take everything off and discretely put them in the laptop bag before security.. usually works except last time when I had 5 watches in the bag already.. bag went thru x-ray 4-5 times before they needed to look in person. Apparently clusters of metal parts are an issue.. must be a bomb profile I suppose.

It's not, its not controversial. It's called fighting the last war. Don't spend money checking shoes, spend money figuring out what the NEXT terrorist is going to do.

If your a frequent flier you can get on a pre approved list to get faster screenings

So if they got rid of the screening the Terrorists wouldn't switch back carrying bombs aboard?

Because of the screening they have to look for new more difficult ways of doing things.

Why do you think the 7/7 bombings in London were on buses and trains rather than aircraft? It doesn't mean we stop aircraft security

There, I said it.

Im actually glad you "said It"...and I agree 100%.

Getting back to my orignal post...I dont have a great deal of respect for many of these TSA agents/officers. I respect and appreciate the role they play but dont respect many of the people who have been hired to do the job.

The video below is just one of many reasons why I feel the way I do. As far as I know there was never any kind of Internal Investagtion and none of the TSA employes were ever held accountable for there actions....In any way.

I have stood In line and scratched my head In disbelief while observing some of these TSA people. :scratch: I seriously doubt that some of them have a high school diploma. A quick google search will show some of these agents putting there hands on childrens breast and genitala. Sometimes raising there voices while doing so. How would you feel seeing your little girl or boy being groped by some stranger In the name of security?

I dont mean to go off topic... but I feel this leads back to my orignal post. I would not trust most of these people to do the right thing when It came to locating someone on a expensive Item that was lost.

About three years ago I found a very nice gold link chain necklace while grocery shopping. It looked similar to the one I wore...and mine was a little over a $1000.00. So I went to the customer service desk and asked to speak to a manager. I gave the manager my name and phone number and told her I found a necklace. That is all the Information I gave her. I told the manager to please give anyone my number If they report a lost necklace. The very next day I got a call...the person who called decsribed the necklace In full detail. I met him and his wife at the grocery store that night. The guy tried to give me $50.00. I could not take it. But on the way home I kicked myself. .. Could have used a extra $50.00 ;)

Mike

Im actually glad you "said It"...

I called my remark "controversial and incendiary" very much with tongue in cheek. :)

Ten years ago, I found the new security procedures to be irritating, but also an acknowledgment of the new reality and necessary to keeping us safe. Since then I've seen too much evidence of "security theater"--a show to convince the public that something is being done.

Let me clarify: I believe the threat from terrorism is real. I don't believe the creation of additional layers of bureaucracy and (per phoband) memorializing past terror plots with reactive measures are the most effective ways of making travelers safe.

And as for the individuals charged with our safety, I remember another "Rolex lost in airport" story from two years ago: Woman goes through security scanner in Norfolk, wearing a gold Rolex. Agents tell her to remove her watch and put it on the belt to be scanned. Woman objects, and asks one agent to hold it. Agent refuses, woman removes watch, and both go through their respective scanners. Woman comes out the other side, Rolex doesn't. The end.