When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Down with OCC! My 5512 build!

chiman12

Ever since I built LHOOQ's 5512 (here), I look back and ponder on a build for myself. The 5512 is attractive due to the iconic nature that is attached to this time piece. That being said, though every element worked so well together for LHOOQ's 5512, I couldn't for the life of me build the exact same watch!

So I embarked on a journey to build a 5512 with some of the same elements as LHOOQ's 5512 and yet be very distinctive. After look through through "upteen" web images of 5512, I found this particular 5512...

5512_OCC-Anon-2.jpg

This is a very rare 59' 5512 with gilt OCC with Swiss dial and pointed crown guards. Forum thoughts are that it is the earliest 5512 produced and for not more than a year. The depth and OCC is in silver, while "Submariner" and "Swiss" is in gilt.

So I started to rummage around in my parts box and luckily found what I need to build such a rare beast! I present my 5512 OCC!

P1015037.jpg

Close up of the text on the dial...Yes...it does have closed "6"s, but it has been suggested that dials with closed "6"s during the time period may have existed. In fact, there are a few pics of 5512's with the closed "6"s. The rehaut of the case was very wokky and a bit small, so I took it to task and reshaped the rehaut.

P1015036.jpg

A couple of close up shots of the crown guards lovingly sculpted to points Yes...that is a geniune 7mm twin lock!

P1015038.jpg

P1015039.jpg

The bezel insert was beached to the point where it acheived a black-bluish hue, just like the insert on LHOOQ's 5512.

P1015040.jpg

Though hard to see, I vintaged the dial to resemble some of the dials on VRF....

P1015049.jpg

For the movement, I didn't succumb myself to the vintage Sears goodness that LHOOQ had in his 5512 and used a geniune Tudor movement. It finished the off the piece quite well.

P1015050.jpg

So the breakdown...

Case - origins unknown...you tell me. It is old school though

Dial - InGod...6538 4 liner...yes 6538, baked in the oven for 25 seconds to burn the lume and then further vintaged.

Movement - Tudor 2483

T19 crystal - Clark

Hands - CousinsUk and vintaged by myself

Bracelet - Yuki expandable 7206