When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Invisible Children?

maxman

Over 63 million views so far...well over a half million comments. Video was posted March 5. 2012.

Very controversial film...not as simple as It first may seem. I feel that this would have made much more sense ten years ago.

Mike

As I always say..."two sides to every story" This bright young lady makes a lot of sense to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DO73Ese25Y

I watched both videos and I'm confused :(

Dont feel to bad...many are confused. It's not a simple issue to understand...not fully anyway.

It Is on It's way to becoming the biggest and most popular viral video of all time. When I posted this video two days ago It had just over 63 million views. It now has just under 74 million views and almost 633.000 comments.

Mike

Thats the problem with these kinds of things. The vast majority of people will believe anything they read on the internet, and a slickly made video that has gone viral that deals with the exploitation of children is even more believable. What happened to fact checking and multiple sources? When you do your research you will find that this Invisible Children group is on of the poorest run charities when it comes to putting dollars in to action. You will also find that on multiple occasions they have lied to make their case more compelling. Is this a worthy cause or not? Hard to say because we have no facts we have no idea what Invisible Children's action plan is? Are we really going to start taking military actions based on page hits and facebook likes?

• Like 1

I watched the video, on the news - so I am confused - am I supposed to believe this girl - whoever she is, the video, or the news...

$90K a year to a video editor - ~INSERT SARCASM~ wow, that guy is rich - GIMME A BREAK! They are a San Diego based company - $90K/year will buy you a modest (very modest) 3 Bedroom/2 Bath home or a decent condo....~INSERT MORE SARCASM~ I am not going to donate to a company who tries to provide a reasonable wage to it's employees - no way - never gonna do it - what a horrible company...they should get somebody who sucks at making videos, because then more money could go to Africa - wait...if nobody is touched by the video - no money comes in...but...wait...I am confused :frusty:

Checkout their website - it has a direct link to their financials and annual report.. http://www.invisiblechildren.com/

Make the decision for yourself - not by watching the video of some random nobody....just my $.02

$90K a year to a video editor - ~INSERT SARCASM~

Checkout their website - it has a direct link to their financials and annual report.. http://www.invisiblechildren.com/

Make the decision for yourself - not by watching the video of some random nobody....just my $.02

No, $90K doesn't sound like a lot. But, add that to the $360,000 for film production and the $178,000 for video equipment, and thats a pretty pricey 30 minute clip. No problem, because its handy that the videographer just happens to be on the board of directors. ;)

Hey, I'm not saying these guys are good or bad, just don't go putting your donations in an envelope based on one viral video. I'm going to predict that we are going to be seeing these kinds of films turning up quite regularly in the near future.

No, $90K doesn't sound like a lot. But, add that to the $360,000 for film production and the $178,000 for video equipment, and thats a pretty pricey 30 minute clip. No problem, because its handy that the videographer just happens to be on the board of directors. ;)

Hey, I'm not saying these guys are good or bad, just don't go putting your donations in an envelope based on one viral video. I'm going to predict that we are going to be seeing these kinds of films turning up quite regularly in the near future.

Very true - but this isn't their first video - They are actually from the area of San Diego where I live - and think they are pretty legit. They've been around for quite a while - this is just their biggest video.

I just thought it was stupid that the girl in the made the claim that the video guy is getting rich off of this - that was just stupid. Look at the boards/financial from any big charities and you'll find very similar expenses. These guys are just currently the "it" charity. I am not saying I am endorsing them - I just thought the "counter" video was dumb...

Very true - but this isn't their first video -

I looked at their video history and they did two in 2009, none in 2010, and one in 2011, so I can only assume that those costs went towards that one video. Nonetheless, for a million dollars, its a bargain given the kind of exposure it generated.

I was just thinking about this situation :g:

.... If they find out where this Kony guy is..wont they have to go through his soldiers to get to him? If I inderstand correctly those soldiers would be young kids that he has abducted. Then the forces that be would have to kill many young boys that protect him/Kony.

Kind of takes the warm and fuzziness out of the campaign....dont ya think? I mean they will have to kill the very kids who they proclaim they want to help. Sounds like seriously [censored] up situation to me.

Just one of many questions I have about this Kony 2012 video.

Mike

I saw this info on CNN and it seems to me that the young ex soldier interviewed here has more true insight to the problem than the girl living in the States. He wants justice and supports the video. http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_c1

Posting links is easy..but answering serious questions is something completely different. So let us buy are Kony action kits and save the world. One bad guy at a time.

http://keepittrill.com/online/2012/03/kony-2012-scam-stop-supporting-invisible-children/

didnt watch it beyond 5 minutes, too much hipster douchbaggery for me to stand. and plus it was more about him than anything else, was poorly made, got sick of seeing his kid. I mean when he interviewed his kid about the situation it was the last straw, this is an insult to journalism and the documentary genre as a whole. Where are his subject experts? its just images with his annoying voice over. it reminded me of zeitgeist, a backyard job with selective facts and no real substance.

As screwed up and damaged the world and human civilzation is, there is never a shortage of innocent souls

to help bring people back from the precipice of madness.

I was just thinking about this situation :g:

.... If they find out where this Kony guy is..wont they have to go through his soldiers to get to him? If I inderstand correctly those soldiers would be young kids that he has abducted. Then the forces that be would have to kill many young boys that protect him/Kony.

Kind of takes the warm and fuzziness out of the campaign....dont ya think? I mean they will have to kill the very kids who they proclaim they want to help. Sounds like seriously [censored] up situation to me.

Just one of many questions I have about this Kony 2012 video.

Mike

That is a valid point Mike - I thought about that too - it comes down to how many lives have to be sacrificed in order to save those in the future..I don't have an answer - waaay above my pay grade...

Posting links is easy..but answering serious questions is something completely different. So let us buy are Kony action kits and save the world. One bad guy at a time.

http://keepittrill.c...sible-children/

You started this thread by posting links to 2 videos with particular interest on the video of the girl. I posted a linl to a video and article that supports the validity of the campaign - a video by an actual ex child soldier who lived through the experience and supports the effort of the San Diego based group. Whether or not you agree with this ex soldier I still believe that he knows more about the situation than a girl living in the security and comfort of the United States. Granted, she has family there and visits regularly but her situation is not the same. I do believe that there would be casualties in an attempt to capture Kony, but I believe the alternative would be worse. How many more have to be kidnapped, raped, and killed until the world wakes up and does something. At least this campaign has made us aware of the situation. Now no one can claim ignorance. Do we react against the child torturers or do we start a counter campaign against the group that brought all of this to light?

• Like 1

You started this thread by posting links to 2 videos with particular interest on the video of the girl. I posted a linl to a video and article that supports the validity of the campaign - a video by an actual ex child soldier who lived through the experience and supports the effort of the San Diego based group. Whether or not you agree with this ex soldier I still believe that he knows more about the situation than a girl living in the security and comfort of the United States. Granted, she has family there and visits regularly but her situation is not the same. I do believe that there would be casualties in an attempt to capture Kony, but I believe the alternative would be worse. How many more have to be kidnapped, raped, and killed until the world wakes up and does something. At least this campaign has made us aware of the situation. Now no one can claim ignorance. Do we react against the child torturers or do we start a counter campaign against the group that brought all of this to light?

Please feel free to post anything you like...I appreciate your Interest and participation In this thread.....I really do. I should have chosen my words more carefully....sorry.

The major problem I have with the video and the Invisible Childern not profit organizaton is It's lack of transparency. The video only tells you part of the story....just enough to gather support and the money that go's with that support.

Anytime you have UN forces In another country bad things are going to happen. One dosent have to look any furthur than todays headlines to see my point. I have watched the video three times...I honestly could not get the point of there mission at first. I feel that the videos main target audience are the young FB and YT crowd.....easy marks. case In point....Those Kony action kits were sold out just a few hours after this video came out. Most of these young misinformed people did not do any research of any kind. They took this film makers word as gospel....face value. This is a very complex issue...a few stickers posters and bracelets will make some people a lot of money...but do you really think It's going to change the world? The Uganda goverment has been looking for Kony for many years...why all the Interest now? Also the Uganda goveremnt has been accused of the very same crimes as Kony. Talk to the people who live there and they will tell you this is true. Kony is no longer In Uganda...some say he's somewhere In the Congo. He Is also not relevant any longer. Many soldiers of the LRA are no longer with Kony...they work In there own Independent groups. Like I said earlier....this is a very complex Issue.

The people of Uganda say the best help they could get is In the form of better schools....they want to promote education. When I see some of these charities contribute to these issues It makes me very happy. But videos like Kony 2012 do not. I must say that this film makers choice to use his own son to promote this film leaves a very bad taste In my mouth.

The only suggestion I have is for people to do there due diligence...research....and from multiple sorces.. Intellect over emotion.

Mike

What @maxman said +1

Guys, do some research, don't fall for propaganda ... Kony is irrelevant, there are hundreds of konys around Africa, Uganda and South Sudan army are in pretty much same league as far as war crimes and other horrible thing go - and, by the way, IC supports these two armies "to help them hunt down" Kony ... great, humanitarian organization that helps ARMIES ?? Do some research about Acholi region and Acholi people and what current Uganda government did there - mass murders, concentration camps etc. LRA came from there, Kony is Acholi. Now, I'm not justifying their actions in ANY way, these are disgusting and horrible thing happening there, and this MUST be stopped - but this is not the way.

One more point - in 2010 quite large oil reserves are found around Albertine rift in - tadaaam - Uganda. Hmmm, sudden interest in Uganda becomes understandable ... These IC guys are really changing history - I think this is first time in history that military intervention is pushed and justified in this way, you have to love prospect of the world where Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and such characters (and their FB and Twitter friends) call for military interventions, and POTUS acts immediately and send US Army there ... pretty scary thought ...

regards

What @maxman said +1

Guys, do some research, don't fall for propaganda ... Kony is irrelevant, there are hundreds of konys around Africa, Uganda and South Sudan army are in pretty much same league as far as war crimes and other horrible thing go - and, by the way, IC supports these two armies "to help them hunt down" Kony ... great, humanitarian organization that helps ARMIES ?? Do some research about Acholi region and Acholi people and what current Uganda government did there - mass murders, concentration camps etc. LRA came from there, Kony is Acholi. Now, I'm not justifying their actions in ANY way, these are disgusting and horrible thing happening there, and this MUST be stopped - but this is not the way.

One more point - in 2010 quite large oil reserves are found around Albertine rift in - tadaaam - Uganda. Hmmm, sudden interest in Uganda becomes understandable ... These IC guys are really changing history - I think this is first time in history that military intervention is pushed and justified in this way, you have to love prospect of the world where Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and such characters (and their FB and Twitter friends) call for military interventions, and POTUS acts immediately and send US Army there ... pretty scary thought ...

regards

Well said.

post-19368-0-50375500-1331666057.jpg