When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New arrival - Rolex 5513

prospex44

Hi Guys

Just wanted to share my latest piece that arrived in the post just the other day!

It's a Rolex 5513 from Josh (Perfect Clones).

This is the $118 Asian 21J version. Seems like a very popular watch around here, and to be honest, i can clearly see why.

When it arrived, it looked a little too "Perfect" for my liking.

I had thought this would be my first Rolex Mod project, so i was planning some light mods to start off with.

This is it, pretty much straight out of the box and into the garden for some pics!

IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_4590.jpg

IMG_4583.jpg

In amongst my list of mods i wanted to carry out on this one were:

1) Crystal change.

2) Insert aging

3) New crown and tube

4) Case & CG Re-shaping

5) Re-drill spring bar holes

6) Bracelet oiling

I have a new crown tube on order and i am trying to track down a nice Gen crown.

This is the stock "superdome" crystal that comes with it......

IMG_4577.jpg

While some may like this look, i thought it was really spoiling the overall look of the watch, so i decided to change that first. I just think the crystal is way too domed!

In went a new domed Acrylic (though not quite as domed as the superdome!!). I put in a crystal that already had some "WABI" so i could try for the vintage "lived in" look! Then i faded the insert in some neat bleach and reassembled the watch.

The stock bracelet, while good enough, was a little stiff and squeeky. Just didn't feel right, if you know what i mean.

So after aquiring some good quality sewing machine oil (thanks to By-Tor for the tip) i gave it a good soak overnight and it came out like a different bracelet!

Feels completely different - better quality, more luxurious on the wrist. No more squeeks or stiffness in the links!

I am still awaiting some different sandpaper grades, so unfortunately, the case and CG re-shape with have to wait for now.

This is how it looks now.....

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_46521.jpg

IMG_4654.jpg

So there we have it! First mods of any kind i have done on a rep.

I think i may have overdone the amount of time the insert was in the bleach, but the more i look at it, the more i like it!!

Now just waiting for my parts to arrived so i can have a go at the CG's and case and looking out for a nice 703 Gen crown!

Thanks for looking!

You know what that looks real good!!!!!!!!!!

Particauly for the price

where did that new crystal come from?????

Many thanks Andy! I am pleased with it so far!

I got the crystal along with my 5512 i got from another member.

It is a Sternkreuz tropic 19. The ref number on the crystal pack was XS 303.472. (C19230)

The crystal was a little too big, so i had to reduce the size along the outer edge so that i could get the retaining ring seated back down properly. But some Ploywatch brought that back to life!

Looking good! I bought one months ago and changed the crystal and aged the bezel insert then wore it to work every day, now look at the state of it! I am in the construction industry though.

post-20769-0-98739700-1331496156.jpg

I really like that wabi'd look!

Besides, you can always "restore" it back to life with a new insert and crystal when the time comes for not a lot of money!

Is this the 5513 with gen construction bezel? I thought is only available with the higher priced Asian/swiss movement? I see this one also has the better pearl on the insert not the crappy little flat "dot" like they have on the cheap 21j 5513's at Puretime. (the one I foolishly bought!)

Looking good! I bought one months ago and changed the crystal and aged the bezel insert then wore it to work every day, now look at the state of it! I am in the construction industry though.

post-20769-0-98739700-1331496156.jpg

Looks quite gen apart from the crown

Is this the 5513 with gen construction bezel? I thought is only available with the higher priced Asian/swiss movement? I see this one also has the better pearl on the insert not the crappy little flat "dot" like they have on the cheap 21j 5513's at Puretime. (the one I foolishly bought!)

Yep, bezel construction is same as Gen, pretty cool considering the price point of these.

I believe these are all the same specs, just the movement differernce which equates to the higher prices.

As for the pearl, i think this was a recent upgrade to some of these vinatge models from Josh.

Great to see these still being bought and built! Love the new crystal - I have a gen beveled service dome on my 5512 and yours looks identical. If you are going with a gen crown, switch your search to a 702. It'll cost you more, but they have a different profile than the 703 and will help with the stubby guard issue. Also be aware a gen tube will take a bit of work to fit the case.

Great to see these still being bought and built! Love the new crystal - I have a gen beveled service dome on my 5512 and yours looks identical. If you are going with a gen crown, switch your search to a 702. It'll cost you more, but they have a different profile than the 703 and will help with the stubby guard issue. Also be aware a gen tube will take a bit of work to fit the case.

Thank you Sir!

Yes i think the new crystal looks far better than the superdome.

As for the crowns, would you have any pics of a 702 crown in this case at all?

Very nice Prospex!

I have gen T19 service crystals in mine, but your new crystal looks about as good. I might try one of those sometime :)

Well done! I agree the 702 crown would be lower and help with the short crowngards, but 702's are crazy $ compared to 703's.

Regarding the 702/703 crowns...is it possible to take the existing crown off the stem and essentially sand off a bit from the bottom of the crown so that it is then stubbier than before?