When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16660 Franken project but some problems.

deokhoon jun

Hello~ members.

I finally got this Gen 16660 case. My SSD`s rehaut and new SD`s always bothered me. Then I realized the only way to solve this problems is to find a Gen case.

Now, I made a first step but I can`t know how to find a Gen sea-dweller crystal.

All web-pages I know are VRF, RF, E-bay and here.

Anyone can tell me the information about the Gen 16660 crystal??

Here are some pictures of my Gen case.

post-41080-0-62187800-1333350819.jpg

post-41080-0-04514600-1333350846.jpg

Congrats on your purchase, I saw that case around but I decide to skip because finding gen sea dweller parts is quite difficult amd they are very expensive.

But if you complete the project it will be stunning.

Did you find the gen 16660 bezel assembly yet?

I guess that won't be easy to find either..

Congrats on your purchase, I saw that case around but I decide to skip because finding gen sea dweller parts is quite difficult amd they are very expensive.

But if you complete the project it will be stunning.

Did you find the gen 16660 bezel assembly yet?

I guess that won't be easy to find either..

You`re right. I couldn`t find the bezel ring. I have only a gen insert and dial.

Nice find. The only way is gen for that project. There's a French shop called chrono shop that often sell gen Rolex parts.

Excellent~~!! It can be of help!!!! Thanks!

I admire you for starting this project, but unfortunately, when you get through, you are going to have a "genuine" SD, but i would bet that you will probably have more in your project watch than what you would spend on a used genuine 16660, after you factor in a movement,crown, dial, hands, Bezel insert,bezel crystal and retaining ring. possibly you can cut the costs down by using an ETA movement and hands. that may create alignment problems with the date wheel/window on a genuine dial. i'm not trying to discourage you, sort of playing devil's advocate. Good luck with your project.

I admire you for starting this project, but unfortunately, when you get through, you are going to have a "genuine" SD, but i would bet that you will probably have more in your project watch than what you would spend on a used genuine 16660, after you factor in a movement,crown, dial, hands, Bezel insert,bezel crystal and retaining ring. possibly you can cut the costs down by using an ETA movement and hands. that may create alignment problems with the date wheel/window on a genuine dial. i'm not trying to discourage you, sort of playing devil's advocate. Good luck with your project.

Very true. If its a grail watch, I guess you best. My grail seems to change every other week!

Looking at your pics it does have the retaining ring but the rehaut assembly is missing. The rehaut is not built into the case on a seadweller and that part may be almost impossible to source!

The rehaut not being part of the case strikes me as very odd. Knowing how rolex took the 16800 design and created the 16610 using a lot of the same parts, I would assume the 16660 has similar construction, only slightly smaller. I'm wondering if the retaiing ring was removed from the picture if the rehaut ring wouldn't be more visible.

A removable rehaut would just be one more place for a leak to start in my mind.

The rehaut not being part of the case strikes me as very odd. Knowing how rolex took the 16800 design and created the 16610 using a lot of the same parts, I would assume the 16660 has similar construction, only slightly smaller. I'm wondering if the retaiing ring was removed from the picture if the rehaut ring wouldn't be more visible.

A removable rehaut would just be one more place for a leak to start in my mind.

Can you check your PM box?? I can send pm you.

The assembly of the seadweller is nothing like a sub. Looking closely at the pics it is not complete. the gasket on an sd is clamped between the retaining ring and the detachable rehaut ring. This is one of the reasons why the wm9 project stalled! George had great trouble assembling this part and that made bk very nervous.

You're definitely looking at a long term/high(read very high) expense. Budget out the parts and prices, then compare that to the purchase of a gen. See which one YOU think will work better for you in the long run. I have not seen any 3035 movements for less than $1000 that did not require labor and service, and even at that, you'd still want any movement serviced before you pop it in your project.

If you have most of the parts and you want a watch that is uniquely yours and it is something special to you, go for it man. It will be nice. However, if you just want a nice tool watch that you can wear on special occasions and still have a 666, then be patient and get the gen, then service it (make sure you keep the dial,hands and other things intact) It is a tough choice, but if you have the money and time.....

E

You're definitely looking at a long term/high(read very high) expense. Budget out the parts and prices, then compare that to the purchase of a gen. See which one YOU think will work better for you in the long run. I have not seen any 3035 movements for less than $1000 that did not require labor and service, and even at that, you'd still want any movement serviced before you pop it in your project.

If you have most of the parts and you want a watch that is uniquely yours and it is something special to you, go for it man. It will be nice. However, if you just want a nice tool watch that you can wear on special occasions and still have a 666, then be patient and get the gen, then service it (make sure you keep the dial,hands and other things intact) It is a tough choice, but if you have the money and time.....

E

Really thanks for your advice!!

I'll seriously think about it. Well i dont have enough money n time

Thanks for the explanation watcher. So the late model SDs have what we can call a detachable rehaut or chapter ring. The crystal and gasket fit over this and the retaining ring presses it altogether- then the retaining ring, click spring and bezel snap on.

With a gen dial and case, Deokhoon, you could probably put together a decent watch and use a 2836-2 movement. We just have to figure out how to find the rehaut ring, or maybe jmb could make one. You could even use a Yuki matte dial as an interim measure.

Thanks for the explanation watcher. So the late model SDs have what we can call a detachable rehaut or chapter ring. The crystal and gasket fit over this and the retaining ring presses it altogether- then the retaining ring, click spring and bezel snap on.

With a gen dial and case, Deokhoon, you could probably put together a decent watch and use a 2836-2 movement. We just have to figure out how to find the rehaut ring, or maybe jmb could make one. You could even use a Yuki matte dial as an interim measure.

Thanks your comments!!

I already have gen dial and insert. I will order the tube and crown. Also, TC will offer the 2824 movement that can fit to my gen case.

All i need now is gen crystal and chapter ring, right??

Do you really think that the Jmb can make the chapter ring?? If he can, my project is going to be easy!!!