When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would you pay $$$$ for this Gen dial?

Ronin

Ok,

I am a BIG fan SuperFrankens, and even All GEN "Build-Up's". I presently have 2 and am working on a third that falls into this category.

Now for the million dollar question. (no pun intended).

Would you pay $$$$ for a dial like this when some of the dial's coming from Yuki/InGod/NDT are super good, and would generally pass the arms length (non-Macro-Photo) inspection?

Here is the eBay link to a 5508 dial. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120891799033

I ask this question as a "builder". I ~could~ see a reason to purchase this IF you have an original all GEN 5508 with B&P that somehow has a badly damaged dial.

But, would YOU ever build watch with this expensive of a dial?

Curious,

Good points.

If doing an All-Gen "Build-Up" I suppose you could still come in around 50% off the going rate of that particular GEN model. (5508/6536).

...to take it a step further, would you ever try and profit from you talents with something like this?

Keep the discussion going.

Agreed. A Franken starts with a Gen dial and it is a no brainer requirement to me if you have a Gen movement...

Don't ever expect to profit from a Franken build...It's the journey and you rarely, if ever, recoup your invstment in a sale IMO

...to take it a step further, would you ever try and profit from you talents with something like this?

If, by profit, you mean selling a franken-gen as a franken constructed from gen parts, I see nothing wrong with that. But I would not try to sell it as a standard (assembled at the Rolex factory) gen.

generally pass the arms length (non-Macro-Photo) inspection?

A water-slide decal will pass that inspection. And to be honest, a good picture and a little practice would pass a macro-shot too.

If doing an All-Gen "Build-Up" I suppose you could still come in around 50% off the going rate of that particular GEN model. (5508/6536).

If I recall an older man had a 5508 on Ebay that he didn't know what it was worth. It came in around $70K. So, would you spend $35K ?

It seems to me the thing about this hobby that is most captivating is the complete range from a Canal Street knockoff to a fully modded by members here. You can add as many genuine parts as you like to a full blown all genuine as freddy did with his white dial 6542. And anything in between. It is totally and completely up to each individual how much to spend and how far to go. Including going genuine, as By-Tor did.

And there are no rules. We make our own.

There is no taking away from anyone who sources the genuine parts, finds the 'needles in the haystacks', scores the 'Holy Grail' and builds a drop-dead gorgeous franken. When finished, as with any modded watch, it is a work of pride, a labor of love, and a work of art.

For me it's replica all the way. I prefer sourcing the replica parts and modding them to look genuine. Just about everything we get from the far East is 'off', can we make it 'on'? The 6mm Brevet+ crown from RafflesTime is a good example. It needs work. Making it look genuine is a source of pride. Making the 6542 insert is a source of pride as well. Making the small GMT 4th hand? Not so much! But I'm working on it. My 6542 has 'passed' inspection at my jeweler, a local Pawn shop who is a friend, and at arm's length, the AD himself on Kalakaua in Waikiki. I joke, but do take pride in stating 'No genuine Rolex parts were harmed in this build'.

generally pass the arms length (non-Macro-Photo) inspection?

And that's the thing that seems to be the 'governing' factor. Our fellow members. If our work passes inspection here, then NO ONE can tell otherwise, not Authorized dealers, not even the people on gen sites. It is all us!

And truth be told the only person that gets close enough to see any flaws at all says she isn't interested in my watch. :air_kiss:

As to 'profit', yes, I do profit on the insert I sell. It is marginal here, but I do OK on Ebay paying for my own inserts and other toys!

Absolutely (yes), if you are building an all-gen watch (or, possibly, all gen except for the mid-case & you have an exceptionally accurate aftermarket mid-case) & you are missing is the dial. Otherwise, probably not.

Very nice dial. :good:

+1

That dial is the best 5508 dial I have seen out of a watch in 10 years. I would buy it for near what it sold for.

What some are missing is that, a typical 5508 may be worth $8k (I sold one with a refinished dial for that a few months ago) but a 5508 with that dial, perfect bezel and crisp case could be worth $20k. That dial will end up in a nice 5508 with a tired dial. It will double the value of the watch it ends up in.

Here's another point: the aftermarket dials are so far off....and are made with the cheapest materials. The good ones that are made exactly like the original vintage gilt, lacquered dials cost around $1,200 (Swiss Dial Co in the UK).

• Like 1