When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655: Obsessed once again

lionsandtigers

Since a long hiatus from rwg I have returned, older, wiser, poorer ;)

And now I must build a 1655. Looking to do it to fit a gen 1575. From my understanding, the best case to go with, despite the cost is yuki's. Is this a correct assumption?

Any input towards this build would be appreciated. I know there has been plenty of discussion on this subject and I have read most of the posts regarding this build but the opinions are somewhat all over the place, especially in regards to the case.

I was also curious as to whether anyone has dont a build with ingods case. The price on it is pretty impressive.

Thanks for any input. It's good to be back :fool:

Yuki, NDT & Phong all sell 1665 cases to fit a 1575 movement. You will need to check each site for pricing/details (I used an MBW mid-case for my 1665, so I cannot provide any details of other aftermarket cases), but Yuki tends to be at the low end of pricing & Phong tends to be at the high end.

Good Morning LionsandTigers,

When you get a minute have a look at one of my old posts regarding my 1655 Super Franken build, as well as the case the other major thing to consider Is the movement you intend on installing.

Is it an original 1575 from a GMT based model, or a modded 1570? Ziggy did a very interesting post on these conversions which made for depressing reading if you've already forked out for a so called 1575 Gen and find out its not!

I think mine ended up costing me around £5000.00 to build, a huge amount of money but half the price of a so called Gen, I would guess that a lot of the 1655 out there are in fact Frankens due to the model being very un-popular at the time that they were sold new. If i can help in terms of advise then please feel free to give me a shout anytime.

Good Luck

DH

Since a long hiatus from rwg I have returned, older, wiser, poorer ;)

You gonna be even poorer now :clap2: welcome back !

As Denimhead said Franken 1655's are expensive, i've built a couple of ETA based versions and in middle of one now. Lemme know if you need any advice on the cheaper alternatives

Cheers

P.

My plan was to acquire parts, slowely, as money allows. 1575 is the movement of choice. I am fine with everything else being aftermarket, not looking to spend 5k on a build any time soon but I do want it to have a 1575 beating inside. My biggest confusion is the midcase. So many different prices and different opinions. Yuki and ingod have the best prices, while the ndt and phong cases are rather pricey, but I read somewhere that Yuki's case is more acurate than both of those. Would love some feedback on ingods case if anyone has any.

I bought all the parts for a '1655' a couple years ago...

A...1575 mvt with all (new) genuine parts to convert it to 1575GMT

B...case, dial, hands etc from RWG member (probably Phong case and dial)

I have not put it together yet.

I will say this...

Today's prices for a complete 1575 GMT or a good condition 1575 and all genuine GMT parts to convert it to a GMT plus case/dial/hands might change your mind real quick (1575GMT calendar spacers now go for $300 to $500 if you can find one).

I quit at $3000US. If I was doing it over...I would not do it at all.

Something else...

There is no difference at all in an original 1575GMT and a 1575 converted to GMT using all genuine parts so 100% genuine conversions are Ok.

Quickie cheapo 1575GMT conversions using an aft/mkt 24 hour wheel etc are no good.

You have been warned... :victory:

Yep, mine cost me around the 3k mark. I wouldn't do it again, to be honest the movement suffered from poor time keeping(in theory it had jut been serviced as well) and ended up having an issue with the 24hr Orange hand not following the hour hand properly either! I'd buy one of Josh's 1-1, kick the crap out of it and see if it's really the watch for you. Quite small at 38.5mm as well.