When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Gmt 2234.50 - Updated

triplehd

This is what I started with:

Rep Parts:

Omega GMT - 2836 movement (from Paul)

Genuine Parts:

Dial

Hands (HR, Min, Second* & GMT*)

Bezel*

Bezel Insert*

* was not used in the mods

I purchased all of the geniune parts off eBay for a really great price. Once I received the watch from Paul, sent it to Joe to swipe out the rep parts with the genuine. Once Joe completed his magic touches, I received the following from Joe:

post-431-1143250755_thumb.jpg

post-431-1143251065_thumb.jpg

post-431-1143251517_thumb.jpg

post-431-1143251762_thumb.jpg

Edited by triplehd

One thing with using Genuine parts - unbelievable lume. Here's some great lume shots:

This was shot during the mods process -

post-431-1143251926_thumb.jpg

And one more once the mods were completed-

post-431-1143252066_thumb.jpg

Joe did unbelievable job with the mods. Great communication and very detail in explaining everything - from mods to watches.

As for the watch - I really like it. Haven't really used the GMT hand except to see if it actually works, which it does. In order to move the GMT hand, simply pull the crown out as if you were going to change the date. Instead of turning upwards, turning downwards will move the GMT hand. Keeps great time and can't get over how awesome the lume on this watch really is.....

The watch would be nicer if the genuine long red-tip second hand was installed.

The SEL is not correct neither.

Very nice dial though :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Joe had the genuine on, but it just didn't fit right as well as the rep did. Joe informed me that the stem on the Gen Second was shorter than the rep. Therefore, for the sake of not having a functional running second hand, we opted for the rep instead.

Additionally, I did see a GMT rep with the bezel being all black with silver numerals instead of being half and half as in the pics. If I can secure one of these, I'm going to have Joe continue the mods.

hey hey!

the long awaited GMT!

nice!!

i'm actually working on my White GMT.

Will post pictures of it when its done.

should be good too!

Yes, the GMT has finally landed (since I finally figured out how to take upclose pics). Can't wait to see yours as well. Hopefully I can secure some other parts to improve this bad boy.

BTW - Does this mean that finally, there may be some interest in the Omega GMTs after all? :o

Yes, the GMT has finally landed (since I finally figured out how to take upclose pics). Can't wait to see yours as well. Hopefully I can secure some other parts to improve this bad boy.

BTW - Does this mean that finally, there may be some interest in the Omega GMTs after all? :o

My favorite GMT!

Why didn't you use the genuine bezel and insert?

The bezel is the main reason I'm holding back on this rep.

Some clarification:

The Gen second hand was not used - it had a shorter stem compared to the rep which had a longer stem. However, from the first lume pic above, that's the gen second hand in the pic.

Joe advised me to use the rep bezel insert over the gen - it was just a better fit. Now, using the rep insert, of course the rep bezel will fit without any issues. Joe did install the gen bezel at first, but there was a bit of gap (not that noticable by the nake eye), so we left the rep on. To make the gen fit perfectly, Joe would have to do some additional mods. Maybe throwing the GEN bezel on will be part of Phase II.

hey nice review, maybe i can help u better with your answering

ok the dial is oem and the minute and hour hands

reason the second hand and gmt hand oem would not fit

the second hand has a tube on the back that u press down on the post of the movment, ok well the genuine one is shorter than the rep one, so it will not go down deep enought to secure properly and when u press it all the way down it hits the minute hand, cause the hands r up higher than on the smp to accomadate the xtra gmt hand, therefore no room

the gmt hand oem hole size is almost double smaller than the rep gmt hand hole size, cause the chinese added a third outer wheel and tube and it is really a big hole in diameter compared to the oem gmt hand hole

the bezel will not fit without rigging something to make it fit or glue it own which triple opted not to do , which i think the rep bezel is just as good of quality after i polished it to match the oem bezel

the oem insert will fit but u have to mill off the underneath locking groove to get it to sit flush and not wobbly, also it is just a hair smaller in diameter as the replica insert and he opted not to install it just yet to see how the replica looks, i think now we r going to put the oem on it , the gap will be not really noticeable on the wrist imho

very nice watch, triplehd, and nice mods to boot. shame about the second hand in particular, but them's the breaks, i guess. seems the gmt poses a lot more obstacles to using genuine parts, as compared to the base seamaster (2254.50). regardless, great looking watch -- seamaster gmt is where it's at! -- and i'm sure you'll definitely be enjoying wearing this one. thanks for sharing the pics and everything. best,

jsph

very nice watch, triplehd, and nice mods to boot. shame about the second hand in particular, but them's the breaks, i guess. seems the gmt poses a lot more obstacles to using genuine parts, as compared to the base seamaster (2254.50). regardless, great looking watch -- seamaster gmt is where it's at! -- and i'm sure you'll definitely be enjoying wearing this one. thanks for sharing the pics and everything. best,

jsph

actually Jsph, The 2254.50 gave me alot of problems. The version that i got was the Paul's version, which was the same that other dealers were providing.

The bezel also didnt fit well, so i had to milled down the bezel insert for it to sit flush. The Genuine crystal will not fit into the case, so i had to secure it with other methods, i think its not much better in terms of taking in OEM parts.

marrickvilleboy -- thanks for your note on that. i guess i wasn't thinking beyond the movement, hands, and dial, like we discussed before ("rwg is dead, long live rwg!")... certainly are a lot of things to go wrong with bezel, crystal -- anything, i guess, that requires the case dimensions to be exact (like mbw submariners).

by the way, when you (and others) say you milled down the bezel insert, what exactly is that process like, and what tools are you using there? take care,

jsph