When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the Clear Coating Over the Pearl Made of?

tc670207

Experts chim in PLS!

What is the Clear Coating Over the Pearl Made of? The one Pearl that is on classic Submariner bezel insert.

My Chinese friend told me that clear coating is made of a tiny chunk of sapphire crystal. Some on other forums said it's epoxy. My Swiss friend said it's RC Tritec UV820 - a sort of better form epoxy. Which one is true?

That's correct.

The pearl luminova on a genuine insert actually has a saphhire lense covering it.

From what I gather an "epoxy" coating is what's used on rep insert pearls as a mod and can be made to look quite convincing.

Edited by correctime

Experts chim in PLS!

What is the Clear Coating Over the Pearl Made of? The one Pearl that is on classic Submariner bezel insert.

My Chinese friend told me that clear coating is made of a tiny chunk of sapphire crystal. Some on other forums said it's epoxy. My Swiss friend said it's RC Tritec UV820 - a sort of better form epoxy. Which one is true?

TC, on reps it is an epoxy. There are different epoxy covers from cheap clear epoxy to a better UV basedso the epoxy doesn't yellow.On gens.....there is a clear sapphire lens over the luminous dot.The sapphire lens are prone to fracture.....

C'mon guys are you 100% sure of it?

I got an answer from a crystal factory last night they say the kind of sapphire crystal would be very very hard and expansive to make.

I mean, c'mon do the math, a replacement insert from RSC is only $35 to $50 depends on which one you go. That kind of sapphire dome would set you back for over $70 it doesn't even add up.

My Swiss friend says it's for sure UV820 or she'll let me do whatever I want with her.

Man, chim in here! This is the last mile for me on this insert mini project.

Thx!

Looks good, T. Only try to keep the correct measures of the seat, it would be great to use it on gen inserts. Because there are often cheap inserts to find without or with cracked pearl...good luck with the project!

This is driving me mad. I know I saw these for sale by the bag!! I can't seem to find I now but I will.

I still have never seen sapphire series pearls for sale..anywhere. Someone said they knew where to get them once, but when pressed they didn't have a source.

As for the plexi subs, Ofrei, Yuki, and a few ebay sellers have those acrylic pearls. The 16610 sapphire pearls are not for sale anywhere I know of. There are a few horrible inaccurate ones on ebay..like the crap that come on most of our reps, but gen or aftermarket.. the only ones are wm pearls...and they are not all that good.

If Tc can produce these..that would be great :clap2:

Yeah, but you gotta get three or four wm pearls to get a good one, and then the metal cup has a yellowish tint..

Also there's 10$ shipping...but other than that, it's our only option till TC saves the day.