When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buying a gen, help me out!

josecolon47

Im buying a gen watch this month, i have a 5k budget, but im not sure wich one since i originally wanted a tag aquaracer 500M chrono, but i have seen some bad reviews lately on the net regarding quality and service. Im thinking on going for a omega or make a small leap to the rolex sub or maybee a cartier.

Any recommendations? Or opinions on gen tags

I saw a really nice Rolex 5513 from the early 70s at a Tourneau in Waikiki. It was around $5,500.

It's a classic design and its value will increase every year. If you choose to, you can wear it 5 years and get all your money back, plus some.

+1 for Rolex.

You can get a preowned Speedmaster for $1500-2000 easily and I would never pay $5k for a Tag. Vintage Rolex will only increase in price, but shop around a little, condition is everything, definitely go for a matte dial.

Are you looking to be a purchaser of an ugly little watch that you can get your money back on 5 years from now or a purchaser of a nice looking watch to be proud to wear in 2012?.

If the first choice,then get the Rolex,its like a faithful fat broad,not much to look at,but some guy will always take it off your hands when its time to get rid of it.

If the second choice,get a Breitling. Like a hot stripper,you can use it,abuse it and dump it for the next model. :)

i love the looks on this baby, i actually own a 2000 professional, but its a bit outdated, although in 10 years on daily use, it has been a flawless watch in every way possible.

max-2-aquaracer-500m-caliber-16-automatic-chronograph-tag-heuer.jpg

THEN AGAIN!, as time passes by, a man has to up his game and spend a bit more right? these are my temptations

breitling-avenger-seawolf-chrono-watch-1.jpg

Im attracted to this baby

6359513-481-490.jpg

YET, i can neeeeever go wrong with a classic timepiece, hurts the pocket, but its a champions watch, from castro, to stallone, to james bond.

82891_bild1.jpg

at the end of the day im looking for a new watch i can wear day to day, i want it to be my cup of coffee, cant run without it

btw, how much a gen sub rollie going for these days?

Go for the speedy pro moony or a classic 16610 sub (not the ceramic rubbish :D), neither will lose money (Or not much money if buying from new), neither will look dated and they both are ultimately very respected watches and always will be. It's not possible to go wrong.

I know there are lots of vintage rollie fans here, but you both need to be a fan and also know what you are looking at, which is a bit hairy, I'm not sure it is the best decision for an initial watch purchase unless you are well clued in on them (which you may be for all I know?). With the speedy or 16610 is basically a no brainer, what could go wrong. No disrespect to tag/breitling etc but as an initial gen I'm not sure it is the best decision unless you are really really drawn to one. You may be flipping it in a year or two and will probably lose significant money. You could also do something mad for that money like put together or (have put together) an IWC 3717 gen(stein) and buy a speedy pro with it...it would be near budget, two great great watches for $5K. What's not to like ;)

First off, although I'm a long time Rolex fan, you need to buy what YOU like, not what I like. I'm older and pretty conservative, so I would tend to prefer watches that are more conservative. The Speedy Pro is a nice watch, but it's manual wind and no date, so it's not for everyone. the 16610 Rolex Sub is very nice watch, but here again, you're buying a Rolex model that is probably the most replicated watch around, so you may be wearing a watch all your friends think is a fake.Follow your heart and buy something that really resonates with you.What you might consider is trying out a replica of the watches you are interested in. Pick nice examples, wear them for a while, see what fits you and what you are comfortable with and then go out and buy the genuine article.You can always get most of your money back on the replicas if you decide to sell them.

And incidently, I own a Speedy Pro moonwatch, as well as a "P" serial 16610. The Speedy gets almost no wrist time, It sits in my watchbox forlorn and sad., the 16610 gets more wrist time, but not as much as it used to. Surprisingly, my two favorite watches are my 800 USD MKII Kingston and my Rolex 16750 GMT

My vote is for an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean (liquidmetal limited edition if you can).

Just look at this beauty:

:snorkel: :snorkel: :snorkel: :wub:

You will definitely turn more heads wearing this than a rollie.

OMFG! That Liquid Metal with the orange bezel, in the first video, is just stunning!

Here we go again!! :Jumpy:

It was just a suggestion regarding the speedy or 16610 P153, I wasn't forcing his hand or anything, he did ask for suggestions ;)

Lots of nice watches out there and you have a lot open to you with $5K but If really drawn to the aquaracers jose then at least try out the reps,(if you haven't already) this is one situation you won't always get....the reps of both chrono and non chrono are very good compared to gen out of the box.

See here:

Bro a honest advice buy a nice panerai from paneristi and i am sure you want be dissapointed , everybody has rolex and breitlings and omegas but you wont find a panerai with everybody

The omega liquid metal limited edition is also good

Sent from my 

The liquid metal is really tempting me so far. As for reps, i have a 111 noob coming my way from pure, im pretty eager to wearing it, yet my faith is kinda low since from 2004-2007 i made a couple rep purchases like the sub from htk, cartier seatimer, daytona from andrew and josh and even a bvulgari and must 21 from silix. Unfortunately all of them were unreliable in a major way like bad timekeeping and loose dials and links (got rid of most watches). I hope these new noob factories restore my faith in reps so i can revive my collection.