When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Modern Vintage" 16610 Project

fidhle007

I've been questing for a decent lughole 16610 for quite some time and built one with a sterile case a little while ago but I was never totally happy with it. The case is just too bulky: the lugs and and CGs are too fat/stubby for what I wanted. The lugholes and endlink fit is freaking awesome though so rather then try to brutalize one of my expensive ETASwiss cases into lughole submission I set to work with a file and sand paper. I roughed out the basic shape with a file and worked up to some fine sand paper and once I was pretty close I hit the critical surfaces with some ScotchBrite. Finally I dug out my unused Dremel Cleaning/Polishing kit and gave the whole thing a once over. I've never polished anything before but I'm pleased with the results!

177116_618854209785_1025248722_o.jpg

177116_618854214775_1248663882_o.jpg

177116_618854219765_1502910882_o.jpg

I have an older gen bezel/insert to go on this as well as a gen dial but I still need to source a good crystal. I'll try the clark one I have but I'm not enthralled with the edge bevel so I'll have to take a wait-and-see approach there.

This will probably get a 2824 movement for reliability but down the road I'd love to swap that for a high-grade 2892.

One thing I'm undecided on: the dial I have is a "SWISS MADE" 16610 dial. Would it look too out of place to sell that off and buy a matte 16800? I know there's a slight difference in rehaut depth between the 16610 and the 16800 but I think it might be close enough for my purposes here...

Let me know what you think, I'm still open to ideas!

Best,

Brendan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all, kudos on the case mods :good::drinks:

I may be wrong, and am always happy to be corrected, but I didn't think that the 16610 ever had lug holes :g: Maybe the earliest incarnation of the 16610? If so, I'm not sure what kind of bracelet would go with it, but I'm guessing the dial would be a standard 16610 dial :) As you've drilled the lugs, you always have the option of going for a 16800, which is certainly my favorite modern vintage :tu: For the circa 1981 look I'm going for, I'm going to re-finish the dial for the 'flat marker' look (assuming my plan will work...) but another easy option, would be to remove all the dial markers, matte varnish the dial, then replace the markers, and you'd have a circa 1984 :victory: Best of luck with the project :good::drinks:

When the 16610 came out in 1988 it had a tritium dial- 'Swiss- T<25' with the white gold hour marker surrounds, drilled lugholes and a 93150 bracelet with 501B end pieces. First SN was an Rxxx,xxx.

Tritium dials went away in 1998-9, replaced by 'Swiss' first and a year later by 'Swiss Made'

SEL bracelets came out shortly thereafter

Lugholes in the case went away around 2003-4.

I would go for a 16610 with lugholes. This case is copmpletely off for a 16800 and the DW with open 6 and 9 could be hard to find.

3035 case from startime looks good instead, if you want a 16800.

With a 16610 with lugholes you have these options:

t<25 tritium dial, hands and insert, 93150 bracelet, open or closed dw

SWISS dial, luminova hands and insert, 93150 bracelet, closed dw

SWISS MADE dial, luminova hands and insert, 93250 bracelet, closed dw

The third one is the easilest, just put a modern dial and insert, TC bracelet and TC dwo, and you'll have mine: ;)

photo.jpg

edited: sorry alligoat you replied while I was writing..

When the 16610 came out in 1988 it had a tritium dial- 'Swiss- T<25' with the white gold hour marker surrounds, drilled lugholes and a 93150 bracelet with 501B end pieces. First SN was an Rxxx,xxx.

Tritium dials went away in 1998-9, replaced by 'Swiss' first and a year later by 'Swiss Made'

SEL bracelets came out shortly thereafter

Lugholes in the case went away around 2003-4.

I happily stand corrected :good::drinks: Out of curiousity, would there actually be any visual differences between say the circa 1984 16800/0, and the circa 1988 16610, or would it only have been a difference in movement caliber and maybe a different clasp? :g:

I already have a gen "SWISS MADE" dial but the gen bezel I have is kind of early. I know that's splitting hairs but I'm like that sometimes! I wanted to power this with a 2824 that I have but my frustration with movement rings is leading me down the SA3135 v2 train of thought at the moment...

Rolex used the same dial from 1984 till 1998 in the 16800 and 16610- tritium. Same insert, bezel assembly, crown and tube, and hands.

Like genzo says, the big difference between the two is the rehaut of the case- the 16610 is deeper- because of the different movements.

You can also order a #2 movement ring from raffles-time over in HK for about $7- I would think it would work.

I have some spares and can check tonight after work- most fit an eta 2824/2836 on the inside and then it's just a question of getting the right OD.