When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Increasing PITA to Mail Overseas From CONUS?

jmb

I mailed a small package (padded envelope) to one of our Brothers across the pond last week (like I have done many times over the years) and to my surprise found it returned to me yesterday with a sticker on the front stating:

Attention Mailing Customer

We regret to inform you that your mail was not collected or is being returned to you due to heightened security concerns.

The following must be presented by the customer to a retail service associate at a Post Office location for shipment.

• Any mail that bears postage stamps and weighs more than 13 ounces.
  • Any international mail with a Customs declaration that was not completed and submitted online.
  • Any International mail that requires a Customs declaration and bears postage stamps.

It looks like everything except Priority or Express mail (done online) will require a trip to the Post Office. There goes the gas bill...

I mailed a Marathon TSAR to the UK last month.

It was returned to me for postage error.

So I took it back up to the post office, paid them the additional .46 and off it went again.

I inquired about this since THEY weighed it the first time I mailed it.

It made it there in about 6 days afterwards.

Is there i higher risk at the moment shipping to UK?

What is the best shipping method to use?

Planning shipping a watch from a Canada member to UK member and then forwarding to me in mainland Europe.

Customs is backlogged with the quest to track down replica Olympic Merch, so not only delays are highly likely, but confiscations will probably be on the rise too for a while :(

I had some problems last year (Summer) with a couple of packages mailed from Australia to me. It seems like the US Customs folks along with the USPS didn't tell anyone that anything shipping Airmail over 13 oz. was going to be scrutinized, and there had to be a customs declaration attached. In the past low value items could be put in a padded envelope, and sent airmail, no customs declaration, etc. Not now!!

In the USA, I believe that it is one method to make folks opt for the higher priced Priority or Express mail. Incidently, has everyone noticed how much international shipping has gotten thru the USPS. I would say that in the past 5 years, the price of International Priority mail has almost doubled. It's no bargain to ship overseas today.

Yeah, International Priority Mail and Express Mail are ridiculously priced... The package returned to me was 2oz going to Singapore. I guess the "red-flag (according to the sticker) was a customs declaration and Stamps for postage...

Recently I keep getting questions like "are these watches you're shipping?" from random clerks in the post office. I have since switched to a different location to ship from, but unfortunately I have no control on where I can get my mail from unless I move.

E

You guys are whining about overseas shipping costs ? LoL

I've had the postman charge me postage because a domestic idiot mailed me a strap without putting enough stamps

That happened to me last Monday. He offered to pay the difference :)

I told him, not to worry about it, wasn't enough to worry about.

But I am still not sure it explains why it took 2 weeks to go 2 states.

Haha me too. I bought a Gen. Tudor a couple of months ago, and had it shipped to me Express mail from Northern to Southern California. The postman brought it to me and said there was something for 80 Cents due. So I went to my office and found 80 pennies to give to him :) The postoffice in the US is going broke because they are morons. Having the postman idle his truck in front of my office and the additional paperwork that had to be generated costs waaay more than the 80 cents he had to collect for missing postage. The missing postage was something like 1.7% of the total cost of the package...

2 weeks for 2 states ? haha I would be tempted to drive over by day 10 and pick it up myself

but i'm guessing that inadequate postage = less than stellar service by the PO

in my case, I told the seller to start paying @ the PO in the future or at least buy a [censored]g meter

The postoffice in the US is going broke because they are morons.

Actually, Congress passed a law which forced the Post Office to pre-pay 40 Billion dollars into their own employee pension fund, for no well defined reason. Completely unheard of in either the private or governmental sector. They just said "you have to pay 40 billion dollars".

That is why they are "going broke."

You guys should try posting overseas from here it's bloody expensive :huh: I'm sure sometimes the clerks at the Po make it up as they go along! Try nearly $40 to post a watch head to fl ;)

Mind you no complaints as long as the parcel gets there!! :inverted: