When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new thoughts on a TW after owning a sean case :/

irolexu

All I have to say is I am EMBARRASSED! I just bought a sean case from a local member and I never quite realized how bad my franken TW was till I saw this bad boy up close and personal! Here is what I noticed immediately flawed on my TW. the case is WAY to fat and clearly needs a diet plan where as the sean case is nice and thin all around with a great appearance over all. Crown on the TW sits way low and now looks very awkward compared to how dead center the sean case is. bezel is completely off on my TW. the teeth are not nearly as defined and seems a little thinner? Also a huge dislike on my TW is the "original rolex desing" so that is my little rant on the TW now that I own the sean case all I can say is I can not wait to fire up this bad boy into a super rep that no one can tell unless I tell them :) here is my grocery list for my super rolex build coming up soon:

Sean case

gen bezel

gen crown

gen insert

gen crystal w/ AR

gen dial

gen bracelet

gen case back

TW clasp or WM9

the new SA3135 improved version

I have most of the parts all I mainly need is that new movement to launch so I can wrap this up and toss that TW in the parts bin.

I agree it's the best case around. But with gen parts and a SA3135 you'll be close to 3000$. In addition a gen crystal w/ar is not correct for that sub, unless you want to copy a serviced sub, and more expensive than a normal LEC one. Too much

If you have most of the parts, then you are probably correct in saying that it would be more costly to sell everything and buy a genuine. On the other hand for those that are starting out from scratch, genuine 16610's are all over the place, WUS, Rolex Forum, Ebay,etc. I bought one a year or so ago, "P" serial with lugholes for about 3.5k in mint condition. So for most rather than a uber franken, gen would be the way to go.

I pretty much stick to the 20-25% rule when it comes to reps. That is I won't spend more than 20-25% of the genuine price on a rep build. So a 4k gen watch, max would be 1k.

If you have most of the parts, then you are probably correct in saying that it would be more costly to sell everything and buy a genuine. On the other hand for those that are starting out from scratch, genuine 16610's are all over the place, WUS, Rolex Forum, Ebay,etc. I bought one a year or so ago, "P" serial with lugholes for about 3.5k in mint condition. So for most rather than a uber franken, gen would be the way to go.

I pretty much stick to the 20-25% rule when it comes to reps. That is I won't spend more than 20-25% of the genuine price on a rep build. So a 4k gen watch, max would be 1k.

I agree! To invest all that "gen" into a watch and, at the end of the day, still have a rep doesn't make sense to me.

M

this is the "dimple" that I was talking about. another thing to note, usually the head of the gen dimpled pin is larger than the rep head. hopefully this is not the case on the new v3 clasp, as the stamping looks amazing! not a deal breaker by any means, but its something that is very easy to "fix"

post-4085-0-80815200-1342027004_thumb.jp

this is the "dimple" that I was talking about. another thing to note, usually the head of the gen dimpled pin is larger than the rep head. hopefully this is not the case on the new v3 clasp, as the stamping looks amazing! not a deal breaker by any means, but its something that is very easy to "fix"

Is the dimpled pin a dimpled springbar?

I agree the tw case is not as good but the v series tc (wm9 v4) is almost as good IMHO. Have you checked that out ?

I too agree.

I was more than pleased with the TW and crown height wasn't ever an issue for me....until I landed a TC 16610.

HUGE difference....though I couldn't ever say the TW was ever embarassing for me

The BK TW 16610 is still a VERY convincing Sub rep and a GREAT value.

I too have acquired the gen crystal, dial, complete bezel assembly,crown/tube and 93250 clasp along the way and am not sure if I'll even use the dial.

The gen bezel assembly has been allocated to the 16800 project I'm currently gearing up for.

My point...? Where the 16610 is concerned I'm stopping with the Franken TC.

(but I said that with the WM9 v2..then the v3...then the TW...and now the TC :) )

Edited by correctime

Guys what i have to say is this..

If you have a TW without rehaut engraving your sub copies 2002-2005 16610 range..Then the Sean is corect with new range..This is because olders subs didn't have so deep bezel teeht while new do have..

Crown height difference is minimal..It is the same as wm9 v2..

These are minimal though...

There is something else:

The TW has the best SEL fitment of all ..Even better than the wm9 V3..With every kind of bracelet, don't know about TC v3, you have great results..TW case has to do with it..

I used to have a TW and never dissapointed me..Of course BK had to do with this..