When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got Called Out!

Cromag

While much of what you say is true to some extent, the truth is that almost anyone with a job can save up the $3500 it costs to own a used Submariner. As long as you don't go hog wild and wear a $20,000 Rolex, I think it is pretty credible.

That's certainly true; I could purchase a gen tomorrow if I really wanted to, but being able to buy something and truly being able to afford it are two different things. I was exaggerating a bit with the Bentley reference, but I'm sure you get my point. I wouldn't want to be called out for wearing a replica, but I really wouldn't want to be viewed as someone who shorted their 401k to buy a watch,

Edited by FxrAndy

Edited by FxrAndy
Not fit for open forum

And in case anybody was wondering, it's not that I particularly like the taste of my own jizz, per se. It's just that I don't mind kissing my girl after I've blown in her mouth (although she's always courteous enough to swallow first).

I don't know what you think you are contributing with these ridiculous posts but I think it's time they stop. Immediately. This is the one and only warning you will be receiving.

And in case anybody was wondering, it's not that I particularly like the taste of my own jizz, per se. It's just that I don't mind kissing my girl after I've blown in her mouth (although she's always courteous enough to swallow first).

you know what I was wonde....wait a sec that never crossed my mind :yuk:

I built a decent vintage SD just for fun with an old MBW Sub case. Not quite correct but looked good. I gave it to my best friend's son (who's always called me uncle). He's a fireman and wore it to the station and got many great comments on it. Of course he just said it was a gift from his uncle. The chief of the station looked it over and tried to buy it from him. They were all commenting on how lucky he was to have such a generous "uncle". I loved hearing the stories from him.

DSCN4491.jpg

I built a decent vintage SD just for fun with an old MBW Sub case. Not quite correct but looked good. I gave it to my best friend's son (who's always called me uncle). He's a fireman and wore it to the station and got many great comments on it. Of course he just said it was a gift from his uncle. The chief of the station looked it over and tried to buy it from him. They were all commenting on how lucky he was to have such a generous "uncle". I loved hearing the stories from him.

Haha! So no-one dared call him out to his face, but we'll never know if they did behind his back. Though it's doubtful with the high level of quality I'm seeing on some of the submariner's on this forum. You have to be really well versed in them to catch a rep sub :)

I was wearing my rep Panerai 5218-201/A and a guy who was wearing a PAM 005 saw it from five seats down at the bar. He comes over and asks to see it. I told him right away it was a rep, but he seemed not to believe me. (It's certainly not because I dress like someone who could afford a $50k watch, haha) Apparently he had no idea people repped pre-V pieces too.

Guy: "No, see, the numbers don't glow anymore. The real ones don't glow because they used tritium."

Me: "Yeah, yellow model paint doesn't glow either and that's what I used when I painted the dial."

He seemed a little disappointed that he wasn't able to see his holy grail in the flesh, but also astounded that reps could be that accurate. This guy was the type that ogled every pre-V thread on paneristi and dreamed.

I was reading the thread but I stopped in the middle of it and thought, . why is it that so many of us who wear replicas would be embarrased to admit they are wearing a copy of a famous watch ?

I have about 10 gens (Rolex, Tudor, Omegas, Longines, Midos, Doxas etc) all of them I could afford. My friends know they are gens. They also know I collect replicas (of watches I cannot afford) like Pateks, Breguets, APs, and the like. So when they ask me "is that a rep or a gen"? My answer is: "You tell me" and that's the end of the dialog.

Replicas are so well made these days that no one can tell wether you wear a gen or a rep. Only those who really know about this business can have a chance to sort out reps and gens.

So my philosophy is letting people think whatever they want, keeping for myself the origin of the watch.

Never got called out but I did very nearly call out an a$$hat who was flaunting his rep PAM 390. He was a colleague of my girlfriend and we were having drinks afterwork. When I complimented on his watch he voluntarily took it off his wrist and went on and on about it being an LE etc.... oh yeah and how much he paid for it. I mentioned that it was a good catch and its value will go up. It took every once of restraint for me not to call him out in spite of him being a douche.

I guess most of us are just too polite to call strangers out.

Later that evening, in private, I told my gf that her colleague was weraing a rep.

• Like 1

Been called out when wearing my gen Datejust.......always the same ..."Is that a real Rolex?" ...I like to joke around with these people and never give a straight answer so the are never sure if it is a gen Rolex....usually, comments come from people who have only seen a few Rolex in their life.....I have a gen solid14kt Concord Panthere and get similar question.."Is that real gold?"...people are more curious than looking to out somebody. at least I believe they are.

• Like 1

I just bought my first rep and wasn't used to the whole idea of reps.One day, as I was roaming between meetings I stopped by a local Omega AD to have a look at some of the Omega offerings and, you know, to have some fun. Unfortunately I totally forgot about wearing my rep IWC Spitfire.

As I approached the counter I suddenly realized that I was wearing the watch, but what could I do? So while looking at some PO's I took the my watch off, and the shop owner instantly recognized it. She said "they just never make those IWC dials right, do they? but I love the job they've done on the case". I was a bit surprised, not because she bluntly called me out, but by her keen eye. I said "yeah, wish I could find a cheap dial to install" or something along the lines. "So you've got the bug too", she laughed and we went on talking about reps gens etc. Really cool lady and funny as hell.

As it appeared she was quite a watch expert and rep collector with over 80 watches in her watchbox (all men's watches, btw). A couple of weeks later I stopped by and she showed me part of her collection: from cheap datejusts to really high end 1:1's. It was like GTG at Christmas on steroids. :yeah:

We are still in touch, but I learnt my lesson: never visit AD with a rep. ;)

• Like 3

I am new to rep world so maybe I did not have enough time to get called out, but last week I was travelling and this other guy that attends the same events and is always bragging about everything was wearing a Rolex YM 16622, I have a TC YM 16622 and it looks very close to a gen to me. So this other guy saw mine and immediately was like hey he has the same watch as you. The guy with the other YM looked at mine and started to hide his, I was like what is going on here, then he quickly showed his and pulled the shirt down again, I could notice that his was a bit bigger than mine (fantasy maybe), the fonts were not accurate and the color was very pale. I assume his was a replica and as soon as he saw mine he decide to not compare the watches. I was baffled as this guy drives a Porsche Carrera and is always bragging about his stuff been better and what not. Go figure.

Edited by Muaitai
  • Like 1

....@ muaitai ... I think you will find that members here have some nice rides as well. It is not that they don't have cash it is that they have huge appetites. You should use the search function and check them out......And welcome to the forum :clap2:

....@ muaitai ... I think you will find that members here have some nice rides as well. It is not that they don't have cash it is that they have huge appetites. You should use the search function and check them out......And welcome to the forum :clap2:

The car was not really the differential, the guy brags about everything he has is better so I think that the rep did not fit to what he sells of himself. I myself wear reps and I drive an RR Evoque.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Entry level RR? I checked one out but couldn't fit in the doorway easily. How do you like it?

Indeed it is but with the accessories becomes more expensive than BMW X6.

I like it a lot, the design and the engine.

Mine is white but I saw a post about plast dip, a plastic material that covers your entire car and I was thinking about the black.

http://www.dipyourcar.com./

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is precisely why I'm not going to be ordering any Rolex reps (despite how much I love the Submariner). I figure Rolex is the only high-end watch most people can easily recognize, and reps are so common that the "Fauxlex" has become a cliche. I sort of expect everyone's first reaction would be to assume it's a fake. I feel like people would see right through me unless I arrived in a Bentley. I think the average mouth breather on the street probably isn't very aware of the rep market for other brands, so they're unlikely to think much of it if I have a nice Tag on my wrist.

Sigh... This whole logic of it is a Rolex and therefore must be fake is the stuff of myth if you ask me. A Genuine Rolex can be had for the price of fully loaded MacBook Pro. Quality Vintage Date/DateJusts for well under $2k.

Where I live, and travel, the MAJORITY of Rolex's I see are Gen. Rolex makes on average 750,000 watches a year. That is 2885 per day or 360 per hour. DO THE MATH.

As for Rolex, id counter that they are so common and accessible (affordable) that they are the best to rep(wear).

Yup.

• Like 1

Here's a great story from arcadia over at the RWI board;

TRF boys VS rep boy

Subtitle: It does happen in real life and it just happened to me!

As I have stated in the past, I am part Chinese and like many of you here, own gens too. Most, if not all, of my peers only buy gens and despise reps. This is despite the fact that they likewise came from the same counterfeit country of the world.

For any Chinese from all Asian countries, whether Malaysian-Chinese, Filipino-Chinese, Singaporean-Chinese, Indo-Chinese etc, you know that us Asians have a different way of inquiring that other nationalities may find pushy or offensive. We find it normal to ask forward questions like how much net price our friend actually paid for a product; we ask if we can personally check the stuff our friends buy as if we own the thing; among other intrusive ways of conversation.

I was with some of my peers who ironically were all wearing gen Rolexes at that time. As I am currently enjoying my TC, it didn’t enter my mind to wear any other watch, gen or rep. This was the first time they saw me wearing this particular 16610. No one knows that I enjoy reps and even a member of a rep forum. This is what actually happened:

DSSD guy: Hey arcadia, you bought a new sub?

Arcadia: No, this is just an old one (the usual vague answer).

Datejust guy: I never saw that before. Let me see (signalling arcadia to stretch his arm for Datejust guy to check).

Arcadia: (Stretching his arm a bit) Nothing fancy, just a regular sub.

Red Sub guy: Let’s see? What year?

Arcadia: 2003, just an old sub (continuing the brush off).

DSSD guy: How much you pay? With papers?

Arcadia: It’s okay. Hey guys, I heard our Mayor is in trouble for (trying to change topic)....

Datejust guy: Let me see from close up. No lug holes uh.

Arcadia: (Now it’s getting awkward) Yeah it’s just okay.

Red Sub guy: Let us see (holding Arcadia’s arm for a closer look at the TC!)

Damn! First line of defense gone, as the TC is now in close visual inspection. I was still cool. I know my stuff. Until...

DSSD guy: Looks nice for a 2003 watch. How’s the bezel? (Turning the bezel clockwise).

Arcadia: Haha, hey guys enough, let’s order.

Datejust guy: Remove it, let us check. We’ll help you know if it might be fake.

Arcadia: (F%%ck! If I don’t remove it, they will immediately have suspicions. If I remove it, they will know it’s a rep) Hey guys, you have your own watches, tinker with them instead hahaha.

Red Sub guy: Take it off, we’ll check it for you.

Now, I was asking myself if I was just dreaming or is this actually happening. How did I even end up with 3 gen Rolex guys inspecting my watch! But I continued to be cool. I know I can answer them. I told myself might as well remove it and take this battle to the next level. No more running around the bush.

Arcadia: Surely, it’s a little old.

DSSD guy: No more sticker?

Arcadia: Old owner may have taken it off, usual stuff.

Datejust guy: Bracelet a little worn off but still good.

Arcadia: Yeah (still playing the innocent card).

Red Sub guy: Lume is still okay for a 10-year old watch.

Arcadia: Thanks.

DSSD guy: Is it a little lighter?

Now this surprised me. Out of all the usual tells: SEL, crystal, LEC, clasp, crown, insert, etc. None of them called these out: a testament to TC sub’s great build. But weight?

Arcadia: Nah, it’s okay maybe a little off due to wear and tear.

As I was saying this, Red Sub was now unscrewing the crown! That was my final line of defense. I took my watch from his hand.

Red Sub guy: Crown rotation not as smooth, have it checked.

Bam! He was right. We all know how precise the gen 3135 movement is in its winding. I just smiled. He didn’t have time to change the time nor date. If he did, he would have immediately discovered the ETA counter clockwise hand turn. Still he offered these tips (as if I don’t know them..):

Red Sub guy: You will know a fake once you change the time and date. True Rolex has precise mechanism, you’ll just feel it. Yours wind a bit weird but I’m not sure.

Arcadia: Maybe it needs servicing?

Red Sub guy: Maybe, but have it checked from RSC just to protect yourself.

Lessons learned:

1. The TC sub can hold the fort, so to speak. This is even in the midst of gen owners in dreaded close hand-me-over proximity.

2. But it can hold the fort up to certain extent only.

3. Sub is the most scrutinized watch. I learned this now first-hand.

4. We need the new version SA3135. As in now....

Here's a great story from arcadia over at the RWI board;

Datejust guy: Remove it, let us check. We’ll help you know if it might be fake.

Arcadia: (F%%ck! If I don’t remove it, they will immediately have suspicions. If I remove it, they will know it’s a rep) Hey guys, you have your own watches, tinker with them instead hahaha.

Red Sub guy: Take it off, we’ll check it for you.

Now, I was asking myself if I was just dreaming or is this actually happening. How did I even end up with 3 gen Rolex guys inspecting my watch! But I continued to be cool. I know I can answer them. I told myself might as well remove it and take this battle to the next level. No more running around the bush.

Arcadia: Surely, it’s a little old.

DSSD guy: No more sticker?

Arcadia: Old owner may have taken it off, usual stuff.

Datejust guy: Bracelet a little worn off but still good.

Arcadia: Yeah (still playing the innocent card).

Red Sub guy: Lume is still okay for a 10-year old watch.

Arcadia: Thanks.

DSSD guy: Is it a little lighter?

Now this surprised me. Out of all the usual tells: SEL, crystal, LEC, clasp, crown, insert, etc. None of them called these out: a testament to TC sub’s great build. But weight?

Arcadia: Nah, it’s okay maybe a little off due to wear and tear.

As I was saying this, Red Sub was now unscrewing the crown! That was my final line of defense. I took my watch from his hand.

Red Sub guy: Crown rotation not as smooth, have it checked.

If someone spoke to me like that, I'd outright tell them to go fuck themselves. They might know their shit, but at the end of the day, it's none of their damned business, and to behave like that is just outright rude and overstepping the mark :thumbdown:

• Like 1