When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

More 6542 ! How about this?

panerai153

I have been lusting after a 6542 for a loooong time. it is probably my favorite Rolex, and I'm wearing a genuine 16750 right now. I love GMT's they have a lot of utility if you travel, or sometimes in my case, when my wife is traveling. It keeps me from waking her at 3AM because I can't keep up with the time differences, but that's another story.

At any rate, I have been asking questions here, and looking around, trying to decide what the best route would be to go. I posted a couple of threads here, and got a few very nice and well thought out responses.Last week I got an email from a member who shall remain anonymous at his request, he had a case set that he wanted to get rid of and he offered it to me at a very, very fair price.It consists of a Vietnam case, caseback, bezel, insert , crystal (He is pretty sure the crystal is genuine) and genuine tube. I got it in Saturday, but i was on call and worked all weekend, so I just got a chance to take photos today. I really like the engraving, as well as the overall dimensions of the case, the semi bubbleback case back looks genuine, although it probably isn't. the weakest part of this is the bezel insert. Don't know where it's from, but JoeyB's inserts are better. this one is too thin, it looks like it was made with a metal insert as a pattern. It should be higher on the inside, and it should have a rounded taper down to the outside. I have a genuine 6mm crown, so that's taken care of

If i can pull it off, what I would like to do is use a genuine movement, I know that's a stretch, as finding a 1030 movement isn't a problem, but finding the calendar ring for the GMT may be impossible. Wonder if jmb could fabricate one? I'm planning to use the ingod white PanAm dial, and black hands as per most of the photos I've seen. Roulette Date wheel. Sounds pretty simple, but i know it isn't at all.

Here are some photos, let me know what you think

post-327-0-26192700-1342491622_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-73095600-1342492063_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-58948700-1342491710_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-29238400-1342491800_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-04989400-1342491879_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-41468600-1342491901_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-57047100-1342491920_thumb.jpg

Very nice! I am in complete agreement with you about everything you said on the insert.... :whistling:

I use the GMT function so I would use a DG3804B or an ETA 2846 converted. I want mine to look as close to gen as I can make it, but function is something only I will see.

Thanks very much for the response. I looked at one of Freddy's build threads last night, and until then didn't know about the calendar ring difference on the 1030 (35/36)GMT movements. how impossible would it be to find this part? using a correct 1030 would be the easiest from a "all the parts line up perfectly" standpoint, but if some of the parts are "unobtanium" then I may have to rethink the 1030 movement.

One of the big "deals" on the VRF is the variations in the dial printing which they claim is indisputable evidence that the dials are fake, at best reprinted dials on original blanks.they (the VRF folks) base their claim on the premise that Rolex would never let anything out with the inconsistencies of the dials that Stefano Mazzariol pictures in his article. When you look at the method used to print these dials, there are bound to be inconsistencies in the printing. Possibly these were the best that they could produce with the technology available at the time.Another thing, even though they are Rolex watches and have Rolex all over them, they were contracted watches. The White dial GMT's were never for sale to the general public AFAIK. Maybe Rolex submitted a few samples to Juan Trippe and he approved them. After all the inconsistencies are seen through a greatly magnified photo, normal dial size, at arms length, I doubt anyone could pick up any of the small printing flaws.

The only thing about the White PanAm is the lack of documentation. If 100 of these watches were given to executives, wouldn't you think at least a handful would have survived intact, along with a story? A watch that has a known provenance,i.e, "this watch was given to my father when he was an executive with PanAm back in the late 50,s I saw him wearing the watch for many years. He took the watch to Rolex NY to be serviced, but they told him they would have to change the dial , etc. He decided not to have them service it, but instead took it to an independent Rolex watchmaker. We still have the papers and the letter from PanAm issuing him the watch". Now if even one scenario like this ever came to pass, or Rolex SA were to come out officially and say yes we built 100 White Dial 6542 GMT's under private contract for Pan American airlines, that would put all the speculation to rest. Until something of this order occurs, the truth will never be known.

I side with JoeyB. I believe that they were produced. Why would every PanAm story about the 6542 include the part about executives hijacking flight crew watches, until they got their own. Do you think someone didn't have anything better to do, so they just made up a story?

At any rate, I like them, I think they are beautiful watches, much different from the normal Rolex GMT, and that's good enough for me.

If you wear a 6542 with a white dial and walk in the streets in Paris, especially close to collector shops area, people will make fun of you :lol:

but in Disneyland Paris the watch will sublimate and impress crowd of tourists who puff out popcorn :lol:

just kidding, in fact, I dont really care,

The only thing I remember from PanAm is the menu choice on a Paris/San Francisco flight :

Paris/NYC : Chicken or Pasta....

NYC/SFO : Pasta or Chicken...

:lol:

• Like 1

and the story goes like this...

It has also been debated that Rolex produced the 6542 with a white dial; story has it the watch was commissioned by Juan Trippie who was Pan Am’s founder. It was said the executives of Pan Am had intercepted wrist watches that were intended for the pilots and navigators. They had been requisitioned by senior management who felt that they, rather than the flight crews were the ones who deserved the new watches. They complained the pilots had it all, the titles, the brand new Boeing jets and now the watches. They felt shunned, seeing themselves as the reason for the company’s success they were fed up of the second class treatment. Trippe wasn’t satisfied with the situation and demanded the watches be returned for issue to the flight crew; however, to silence the executives Trippe had Rolex build around 100 or so watches solely for the so called “desk pilots”. Differing from the standard black dial version, it was believed these to be the only GMT Masters to have the white dials.

I will post some more of the GMT details very soon for everyone to enjoy...

Freddy I really think your PanAm is better than the one that Stephano Mazzariol has pictured on his website. I definitely like your insert better. the one on the PanAm on his site has a much flatter insert, it looks like the one on my case set, like a plastic 1675 insert!

Is your dial a genuine redone white dial, or and aftermarket , like J&W, NDT or Vietnam ? It is really something.

Joey, Every time i look at your build, I marvel at how you were able to meld all those really different parts together to make a beautiful watch like your PanAM.

I'm sittiing here at my computer looking at my case set, wondering how I'm going to get from point A (where I am right now), to point B where you and Freddy are with your 6542's. I wish I had some skills, but unfortunartely for me, my fine motor skills,working with very detailed and minaturized parts is completely lacking.

Is your dial a genuine redone white dial, or and aftermarket , like J&W, NDT or Vietnam ? It is really something.

Repainted gen '42 dial. The original face was patina-ed to s-h-i-t, so I decided to have it (professionally) repainted in white.

I believe the 'Official RWG.cc Rolex White Dial 6542 History' can be found here: http://www.rwg.cc/to.../page__hl__yuen

And here

Joey, Every time i look at your build, I marvel at how you were able to meld all those really different parts together to make a beautiful watch like your PanAM.

I'm sittiing here at my computer looking at my case set, wondering how I'm going to get from point A (where I am right now), to point B where you and Freddy are with your 6542's. I wish I had some skills, but unfortunartely for me, my fine motor skills,working with very detailed and minaturized parts is completely lacking.

I believe freddy and I used two different techniques in our builds. While I laid out all the parts quite orderly on a hunter green felt cloth and threw it all up in the air while canting 'ummmRooooleexxxxummm', freddy used the traditional method of falling asleep at his work desk in his chair while the watch elves finished the job. I didn't use the elves, labor dispute. It shows. Elves-and-shoemaker-1.jpg

I believe freddy and I used two different techniques in our builds. While I laid out all the parts quite orderly on a hunter green felt cloth and threw it all up in the air while canting 'ummmRooooleexxxxummm', freddy used the traditional method of falling asleep at his work desk in his chair while the watch elves finished the job. I didn't use the elves, labor dispute. It shows. Elves-and-shoemaker-1.jpg

Well, It doesn't matter which technique you use, both of you guys are masters.

I wish I had some skills, but unfortunartely for me, my fine motor skills,working with very detailed and minaturized parts is completely lacking.

That's why you and I drive old Land-Rovers. I don't know about you but my toolbox consists of a chisel, a brass hammer, a bigger hammer, a pipe wrench and a sledge hammer.

Freddy used the traditional method of falling asleep at his work desk in his chair while the watch elves finished the job. I didn't use the elves, labor dispute. It shows.

Those incorrigible Union elves...

mountain_elves.jpg