When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking of a Phong... That's alottakash..

danielv2000

With all the awesome vintage Daytona's popping up lately, I'm thinking of skipping all the fun and going straight to Phong for a 6239/6241.

I've got my beautiful 6265 franken Phong based, with gen Sigma black dial. I've got a DW Silver dial v726 inbound with the basic gen upgrades.

I have always lusted after the 6239/6241 Paul Newman white dial, red outer track. I always loved the combination of colors. I also love the non-screw down look and while I am open to the existence of the Mayer dials, it's just too much to explain if ever I was asked.

This brings me to Phong. $5,500 is a lot of cash for not even a gen dial!

The pros

- the case : Valty and LH have recently posted impressive comparisons of the Phong vs DW.

- the inner markings on the movement are quite impressive

- little waiting time

The cons

- $$$$$$$$$$$$ five thousand five hundred times!

- only the crystal, crown tube are gen

I think I need to get a grip of myself!

Opinions please?

I was in the same situation recently but after spending so much on my phong 6265 I decided to just get one from dw for a lot less. Add some gen parts, send to spin for service and vintagize (don't think that's a word) the case. The next time I spend 5500$ on a watch it'll be a vintage gen for sure. Prob Tudor..

It's a lot of cash, but it's your cash, to do with what you want. The only problem with investing that much money in a Franken, and as you said, only the crystal,crown and tube are genuine, so I don't know that this would even qualify as a franken? In my estimation it would qualify as a very, very accurate rep.

The biggest consideration here, and it's something i mention in every response to folks who want to spend a pile of cash on a super rep. What do you do when at some point in time you fall out of love with one of these super expensive reps. or suddenly you need cash; lost job, illness,new house, etc. The pool of available buyers for reps like this are very very small. You will get a hundred responses to your sales ad, "Beautiful watch GLWS, Wish i had the funds GLWS" etc,etc. But, not many offers to buy. Another problem here, even if you were to break it up for parts, you only have a Crystal,crown and tube that are genuine, the movement isn't, dial isn't, the case isn't. Were me, i wouldn't but them, I'm not a big Daytona fan, so all I have is and opinion based on a a fair number of years looking at sales posts on these forums, and trying to sell watches, genuine and rep on various sales forums.

Some of Phong's pre-assembled watches are indeed beautiful. However, from what I have seen, they arrive at your doorstep already in need of a proper overhaul. You can check with Ziggy on this, but I am fairly certain his experience mirrors mine. Some movements are over-oiled, others dry, some contain obviously home-made (not gen) parts, some have parts epoxied or soldered together, the list goes on. If you do decide to go that route, I would factor in the cost of a professional overhaul & get it done sooner rather than later (to avoid damage due to accelerated wear).

To clarify, I only bought the 6263 mid-case from Phong--no bezel, crystal, or anything else. Big money for a hunk of steel, but far less than $5500. A lot of that amount goes into modifying the movement to be more Rolex-y, and I'm not interested in that.

Thanks for the input so far. I think I must have suffered from heat stroke! I have already gathered all the parts for 6239/6241 including v72, gen crown tube, crystal. Just missing the white Newman dial.

I agree. No one will ever the inside! I Even doubt that the Rolex bridge I purchased from you, M will ever be installed! I am concerned about proper fit!

I think I just saved $5,500!

I was in the same situation recently but after spending so much on my phong 6265 I decided to just get one from dw for a lot less. Add some gen parts, send to spin for service and vintagize (don't think that's a word) the case. The next time I spend 5500$ on a watch it'll be a vintage gen for sure. Prob Tudor..

I coined the word "fauxtina" works great

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I hope all of you are doing well. I was searching for information on a Phong 6241, and that brought me to this forum. I have contacted Phong and the price for a 6241 in 18k Gold with a leather strap, authentic cerificate and matching original serial number will be $14,000.00. At this cost the watch needs to be perfect in every way. How can I contact DW or anyone else associated with this obsession to pursue other less expensive options. I am still considering the Phong piece. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

The watch won't be perfect because the dial is a rep. It is way too expensive to put a gen gold pn dial on it so it will always look like a rep dial.. His dials are good but not great and certainly not perfect. That is why people including myself have opted for his ss non pn versions because then you can upgrade the dial for gen. A gen non pn dial is in the 2000$ ballpark so it's a great option. I would NOT pay phong 14k for a gold fake newman. I would however spend 4-5k on his case set and movement, and then add a gen dial and hands afterwards. It's up to you but 14k can get you an amazing gen red sub with box papers and money left over for example why would you spend that on a rep? There is a completed ss phong daytona with many gen parts and a gen dial in the sales section, you might want to look at that as an option as its already completed and has gen parts that cost the builder more than he will make selling it..

Hello,   I hope all of you are doing well. I was searching for information on a Phong 6241, and that brought me to this forum. I have contacted Phong and the price for a 6241 in 18k Gold with a leather strap, authentic cerificate and matching original serial number will be $14,000.00. At this cost the watch needs to be perfect in every way. How can I contact DW or anyone else associated with this obsession to pursue other less expensive options. I am still considering the Phong piece. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
As CC has said, too expensive. You could also get a Gen modern Daytona for less and buy something else.

5500 usd for a phong case with almost no gen part is crazy imo! Buy a gen 5513 or 1675. In 10 years they will be worth almost twice the price and the value of your phong daytona will be close to 0. Chinese are constantly releasing new and better cases, better clone movement...

Rolex is a different animal but I still subscribe to the approach of limiting cost as much as possible without a gen dial. I am doing a long term build with a DW case set and bracelet for $300 or so (yes, I know it needs mods and will never be as good), a Phong Dial at a good price from another member and a standard V72 but I expect the all-in to be closer to $1000-$1200 and I take it for what it is - a rep (not a Franken).  :)

Rolex is a different animal but I still subscribe to the approach of limiting cost as much as possible without a gen dial. I am doing a long term build with a DW case set and bracelet for $300 or so (yes, I know it needs mods and will never be as good), a Phong Dial at a good price from another member and a standard V72 but I expect the all-in to be closer to $1000-$1200 and I take it for what it is - a rep (not a Franken).  :)
That's a great philosophy. I have an outright Franken vintage Daytona with Phong case, gen everything +V72 that I picked up from another member here and have a second "budget" DW Daytona base that only v72 + gen crown tube and crystal. I got lucky with an old school DW dial that loos great. $1,500 all in. Everytime I look at Vlydog's masterpiece in the FS section,I convince myself that I cannot have 2 of these Frankens! I'm now building a 3rd - 6239/41 this time with the savings! Going to be a little pricey as I went for a Phong dial which is the only option for an exotic dial as gen is out of reach.