When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG 6265 6263 vintage Daytona build tutorial!

janeto72

so David Wong sent me some prototype pushers he had......these look a lot like gen.....i found that they actually thread in nicely to the phong case.The next step will be to see if I can use the DW pusher tube with the gen assemby without having to retap the case......pics to follow.....

So here are the pics of the DW pusher next to the gen.Can you tell which is which?

IMG_8615.jpg

IMG_8614.jpg

IMG_8613.jpg

As well some pics of the DW pushers installed on the phong case....nice don't you think?

IMG_8618.jpg

IMG_8617.jpg

IMG_8616.jpg

I tried to swap the gen tubes with the rep ones but the assemblies do not interchange......too bad. The only way to use gen pushers on the phong case is to retap the case with the correct tap, as gen pusher tubes have a different thread pitch with more threads than the phong case does...

On another note the gen 571 endlinks and gen 78350 19 bracelet fit the phong case nicely with some very minor gentle massaging....enjoy the pics!

IMG_8620.jpg

IMG_8622.jpg

IMG_8624.jpg

IMG_8625.jpg

IMG_8626.jpg

Edited by janeto72

Looking good. I had the same experience with my NOS 571 endlinks, after shaving off a minimal amount of metal from the inner edges off the links (my heart was bleeding given the amount of money they cost me) I had a perfect fit. From memory others seemed to have issues with the lug hole positions but my case (early 80s serial) does not seem to have such issues.

Still trying to find someone to re-tap the crown and pusher bores to take gen parts.

@Janeto: Gen pusher on the left?

I really hated my DW pushers, they were poorly manufactured and just felt cheap. Ofrei/ Cousinsuk's while apparently not perfect, are a much better option. Also water-proofing shouldn't be an issue with them, this alone makes them a must in my opinion.

The DW's look very much like gen and have gen construction.They are probably pretty good for being waterproof.....i'll post pics of the DW construction vs. GEN.......Gen is on the left....correct @wiesn089.

Here are a couple ofpics of the GEN pushers vs. DW pushers......gen is on the left.......pretty similar construction....eh?

Unfortunately ...NOT interchangable in anyway....believe me I tried....LOL!

IMG_8651.jpg

IMG_8649.jpg

Edited by janeto72
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So off goes the case to Zeigmeister to retap it for the gen pusher and gen crown tubes.......

IMG_8616.jpg

Now which bezel should we use? Phong 6263 MK4? or Gen 6265 MK2? I think I like the Gen 6265 MK2 !!!!

IMG_8653.jpg

IMG_8652.jpg

Here is the Gen Tropic 21 modern production crystal...It fits the Phong case perfectly!

IMG_8657.jpg

Edited by janeto72

So i finally got my 6263/5 back from the Zigmeister affectionally also known as " The Zigmeister"....I have to say I am quite impressed with the quality of all his work on my watches past and present and this 6263/5 build was just as amazing!

The Zigmeister retapped the Phong case to accept the gen pushers and crown tubes.We decided to not use the V72 movement and opted instead for a V726 out of an old beat up Roamer.The V726 has the same beat rate and is closest to the Rolex 727 movement.It was a great movement ; but had not been serviced and was dirty, full of tar like gunk, and pretty dry; but it was unmolested.He did a full service overhual on the movement and it runs +/- 3 seconds per day.It is now just as good as a new old stock V726 and should last years with regular servicing.All the Chronos stop and reset perfectly. I could not ask for or found a nicer movement to use for this project.The Zigmeister worked his magic assembling the watch as well. He informed me all went well with the build and pretty much the only issue was to custom fabricate a couple of case tabs to secure the movement as the ones I supplied would not work.Imagine my surprise when the assembled watch finally came home to daddy!I have to say this has to be as close as your going to get to gen without buying the real mccoy.Everything is 100 % gen except for the v726 Roamer movement and Phong midcase.I even reshaped the lugs to the correct shape of the gen ever so slightly.and the midcase needed a little massaging to accomodate the gen 571 endlinks as well.However this particular case was pretty much perfect and .2mm within spec of a gen late model midcase.

Enjoy the pics!

IMG_8766.jpg

IMG_8794.jpg

IMG_8793.jpg

IMG_8791.jpg

IMG_8748.jpg

IMG_8789.jpg

IMG_8787-1.jpg

IMG_8786.jpg

IMG_8784.jpg

IMG_8771.jpg

IMG_8780.jpg

IMG_8785.jpg

IMG_8772-1.jpg

IMG_8778.jpg

IMG_8746.jpg

IMG_8749.jpg

Edited by janeto72
  • Like 1

Fantastic. I truly believe that builds like this highlight the insanity of spending the amounts of money required to buy the 'real' thing. The price tag bears no relation to the actual quality of the item because as is the case here that 'factory quality' can be replicated perfectly. Superb superb stuff. Wear it well and with great pride. I love it.