When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 the ultimate expression?

dieselpower

I read somewhere that some 5512s had 5513 dials(no COSC wording on dial) but had the better movement, this is only one way.

5512s have a chapter ring that runs around the circumference of the dial, which is how you can tell them apart from the standard 5513, which contains a non-chronometer-rated 1520 movement (5512, depending on vintage, is powered by 1530, 1560 or 1570).

IMHO the chapter ring is a design throwback, if you see what I mean. Given the period of time that the 5512 was designed the chapter ring is a nod to the past. The 5513's lack of chapter ring sets the tone for the future. Now don't get me wrong - I'm no modernist but I do tend towards simplicity of design with no added unnecessary flourishes and as such I prefer the 5513. As far as I'm aware there is no functional reason to have a chapter ring on the index. So if you like the 5513 is the 'purer' design, there is nothing on it that I can see has been put there for 'show' or aesthetic reasons, everything is functional even the wording. I also realise that there is no hard and fast rule, some 5512's had no chapter ring and some 5513's did (according to Urul & Skeet).

Hmmmm,

Now I'm lost. My Ingod 5512 has no chapter ring, but the Ingod gilt dial 5512 does. Doing a google image search further confuses me.

I don't agree with Freddy- some early 5512s had a chapter ring and some didn't. Also, you wouldn't expect to see a 5512 with a 1530 movement, but I'm not saying it's not possible. 1560 and 1570 movements are most typical since they are chronometer grade. But as we all know, anything is possible w/ vintage Rolex. Who would have thought we'd be studying these early watches ad nausem- certainly not Rolex!

Now I'm lost. My Ingod 5512 has no chapter ring, but the Ingod gilt dial 5512 does. Doing a google image search further confuses me.

Very simple. Your 5512 dial without the chapter ring is a 5513 dial. Your 5512 dial that has a chapter ring is a 5512 dial. The chapter ring indicates the watch is powered by a chronometer-rated movement (the 5513 is NOT chronometer rated).

Alligoat - (Of course, with the usual disclaimer in effect that in vintage Rolex world anything is possible) I think those non-chapter ring dialed 5512s had their dials swapped sometime after the watch left the factory, because the only 55xxs I have seen in official Rolex documents that lack both the chapter ring & SCOC text are powered by non-chronometer-rated movements, which make them 5513s.

Hmmmm,

Very simple. Your 5512 dial without the chapter ring is a 5513 dial. Your 5512 dial that has a chapter ring is a 5512 dial. The chapter ring indicates the watch is powered by a chronometer-rated movement (the 5513 is NOT chronometer rated).

IMHO you're wrong Freddy, chapter ring was used on gilt 5512 during the "radium era" (till end '62 more or less) with "swiss" at 6.

During the end of 1962 and early 63 you can find some gilt 5512 with "swiss" at 6 without chapter ring but with the famous underline (people still debating if this underline means tritium instead radium but who knows...).

From early 63 to the matte meters first dial there are some 5512s with gilt dial without chapter ring but with "swiss - t<25" at 6.

So, depending on your serial you will find gilt (or glossy) dials with and without minute track. The only combinations that doesnt exist are matte+chapter ring and gilt+chapter ring+ "swiss - t<25"

My 0'02€

Own a '66 and will never let it go. :)

I still think about that Saturday morning when it popped up for sale at that crazy low price. I had already composed the near-hysterical FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I'LL TAKE IT!!!!! message when I saw you looking at it too. I quietly deleted my message, and I'm glad you own it now.

You dirtbag! :tu:

I still think about that Saturday morning when it popped up for sale at that crazy low price. I had already composed the near-hysterical FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I'LL TAKE IT!!!!! message when I saw you looking at it too. I quietly deleted my message, and I'm glad you own it now.

You dirtbag! :tu:

B-

As always the consummate gentleman and I will always be much appreciative. :)

1959 of course!

By 1959 the Impala was top of the line, Bel Air 2nd in trim packages. `55, `56 and `57 were Bel Air's 'best' years, though I really did like the 'cats eye' look on the 1959. From 1958 on the Bel Air was offered only in sedan form , 2 door or 4 door except in 1962 when it was offered in a very limited 2 door 'bubble top, supposed to be for racing.

American Iron was like that, but today's American cars rival Europe and Japan's cars in handling, dependability, and of course are #1 in the world.

At the time the old muscle cars were pretty much only great in a straight line, Brit cars had electrical systems that were a step down from a cigarette company lab rat on a hamster wheel, Italian cars introduced us to the world's first disposable cars, Japanese cars rusted through by your 4th car payment, German Cars used as taxi cabs in Europe sold here for more than Cadillacs, and then there was the Yugo. I didn't mention the Peugeot or the Renault. I'm trying to be nice... :whistling:

And Joey, doggone if the new Shelby GT-500 isn't the world's first 200mph muscle car.

Wait wasn't it the Viper that outhandled the Ferarri in that test?

Hmmmmmmm. Both American cars.