When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What type of oil to work a new bracelet

m92065

I use an abrasive paste called Flitz. I work it into all the joints, then I hold a "twist" along the length of the band, and flex the links. I make sure each link gets a little exercise. Twist it the other way and flex it some more. It works fast so be careful. It will also quickly remove the brushed finish from the band if you're not careful. The longer you do this the more "vintage" it becomes. In an hour it's easy to recreate a thrashed, floppy old vintage tinny band.

When it's lumbered up, clean it thoroughly with soap and water and use White Lightning to lube it.

I have been using a blue aerosol spray oil that's for my car's air filter. I lay a few bracelets out on newspaper and spray them and let them soak an hour.

After that I wash them off in the sink with a toothbrush and dishwashing soap. The black grime and dirt and probably powdered metal than come off is amazing.

After this treatment the bracelets feel 100% smoother and silky, even the tinny sound is gone. I know there are a ton of ways to get this done, but it is what I had handy,