When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Life in Alaska - First Snow!

Nanuq

WoW! we really all do live in diffrent parts of the world! the last 22 years im living in cyprus current temperature in the shade is around 36c and very sunny has not rained for many months, your part of the world has always interested me the coldest place i have ever been to is iceland i was raised in the uk!

Is this normal for there or is it unusually early ?

It's a little early but we're way up in the mountains so winter comes sooner.

We got about a foot, it tapered off by about 9AM :tu:

post-32-134895863509.jpg

Nanuq! You live in such an awesome place. I'd love to experience for a couple of months. Don't think I could live there. But I'd love to visit :)

Come on up buddy! Got lots of room in the igloo!

It's not all white and fluffy though. Here's another perspective from the climb above my house to McHugh Peak... the wind blows so hard that it sculpts the ground into "waves" of stones.

post-32-134984823887.jpg

Snow sucks! Just my opinion.

I can definitely get on board with fluffy white snow, covering the trees and crunching under my feet under a clear blue sky. What I can't take however, is the wet slushy snow covering the roads, brown from the salt and sand they cover the roads with, the biting gusty winds off the shores of Lake Huron and the -7C @ 85%RH that feels more like -20C no matter how many layers you are wearing, and the Sun, Where the F#*K is the Sun...... EFFF Winter

Disclaimer - 7C may not seem cold, but with the wind and humidity, it's just about unbearable, it's sounds crazy but it's true.

Thankfully it's fall and Kincardine still looks like this

Lake Huron2.bmp

post-44290-0-14660200-1349870178_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

post-27094-0-83814100-1351446404_thumb.j

This is the my usual scene where i live in Larnaca Cyprus

post-27094-0-90990800-1351446589_thumb.j

I have not seen the snow for 24 years ! but this is a stunning photo that must be from your part of the world Nanuq !

That's a beautiful scene! It looks like what I see out my windows but the mountains start at my door, not at a distance.

Here is my outing yesterday, trying to track that wounded brown bear. The river is freezing in the middle and water is flowing over the ice like a waterfall. It's called "overflow" and can choke a river. The river level has come up 6 feet already, it's almost over the blanks.

post-32-135144920048.jpg

post-32-135144922098.jpg

• Like 1