When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Small update for 5512

woof*

Look what I found...... :)

5F23B662-8769-4E2C-9296-DDA9B4B94088-3693-000004E7DFC53D42.jpg

This will be this weekends project for my 5512. It's amazing the difference between a nos service lumi insert..and a nos tritium insert :notworthy:

Interestingly....I got lucky and paid half for the tritium insert than I did for the lumi...and on the board I found it.....it had been there for two weeks and no bites!

7013df73.jpg

How much for the lumi insert? ;-)

I exaggerated a bit... lol

I got the lumi in a package deal, and depending on how I look at it.. 190-260$ :bangin: But it didn't bother me as I have had such luck with inserts, I have bought so many from 50-100$

The tritium was 150$ shipped...and was delivered to me in two days.

If you look at the Rolex package by the "X" ..... brown and discolored.....the pearl had rested there according to the seller.

Installed :)

A4C08AD0-A177-496B-A183-EC5897847673-6547-00000AAC23EEA45B.jpg

AC3B0C42-89C3-408C-8C7A-7CFFD0022A9C-6547-00000AAC29A4482F.jpg

It's these tiny details that make the pieces so much nicer.

My snowflake looked really good but "something" about it was sticking in the back of my mind making me feel uneasy. It was an intangible.

I sent it off to JustAsGood and he made some very VERY minor case modifications, and now the cognitive dissonance is gone. You look at it and everything adds up the same, no little nagging twitches in the back of your mind anymore.

The right insert and pearl are like that; they make the educated brain go "ahhhh, all is well."

You are so right Nanuq,

I screwed up ordering these parts, I held back a gen T19 for it and thought I had sent it to J for this build. When he got to finishing it he had no crystal.

After putting him through a grinder (I am an idiot...poor J! ) we figured it out and he improvised.... Anyway this is an SK crystal and I hate the profile and it's gonna nag at me until I get a gen in her.

It is also gonna nag me now that I have experienced this...my 1665 GW has a thin lumi and now I must get a tritium like this one for it!...it never ends! :)

It never ends and unfortunately the smaller the details, the higher the price... exponentially.

My favorite 4 vintages are all complete now, back to almost completely original (aftermarket small-pointer red hand in my 1675) and each tiny detail to bring them back was HUNDREDS of dollars. There are still 3 tiny additional changes I could make that are technically not necessary but will be $2,500 or so.

So when I look at them do I see the 99.99% that's perfect? Nooooooooo I see the one minuscule detail.

What circle of WIS does that put us in? :g:

Ohhhh... I saw your new tiny hand!

That took that watch up several notches! I'm still collecting 1675 parts myself.

I have bezels, inserts, dials for GMT's. I think this will be long term project.

Yes tiny details, my 1665 recently upgraded with working hev..I thought I was almost done..now I need an insert and then off the zig for lume.

Your right, that 1% seems to be the big expense doesn't it?

I've been wearing this 5512 now a few hours...driving around doing errends.

How did I even wear this watch before? Lol

251A965E-BF2D-411B-874E-87DD93F05241-6598-00000AB16BFB8BE8.jpg

Between your right kidney and Ken's left nut, we have a good start to a whole different kind of "franken" here.

post-32-0-99908300-1349107585_thumb.jpg

Be careful not to hit that pearl, they're surprisingly fragile.

post-32-0-03940000-1349107775_thumb.jpg

post-32-0-39494700-1349107804_thumb.jpg