When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Called out 1st time.

baglc1

I'm not denying or exaggerating that fact. The point I was trying to make Is that It's no one's business what we are wearing.. Regardless If It's a $20.000 Rolex or a $300.00 Panerai rep. Just put the watch on your wrist and go about one's own business.

I do understand that some folks Indeed have a difficult time with this simple concept. ;)

+1 mate.. its always one's own business what goes on his wrist. :thumbs:

Amen to that. How many times this morning have you looked at your watch? Okay now pop quiz: without looking again, what time is it?

See, we just enjoy the beasties, we're not so much wearing them to tell the time.

• Like 2

Amen to that. How many times this morning have you looked at your watch? Okay now pop quiz: without looking again, what time is it?

See, we just enjoy the beasties, we're not so much wearing them to tell the time.

you put it very accurately.. thats exactly it. I actually depend on my phone for time telling :D

Confession: I called out on someone rep before.

So I took a glimpse at it, and I knew that his seadweller was a rep. I was quite convinced because of the back color on the bezel and it didn't reflect the way the gen does. Its hard to explain but the gen has a different feel to the black. I didn't get a chance to look at it closely or inspect it. Anyhow I kept it to myself for a long time, (my parent's potential business partner) I mean I knew he could afford one easily by the approximate income he was receiving. But one day in a casual meeting, with 4 of us talking about business as per usual, Someone popped the question. " So which one of the Rolex'es is gen? " At first, I grinned as i knew mine was gen and his wasn't, but he claimed he has another which he bought at Swiss that was Gen. (To diverge, We were, and still good friends,(all of us) and I think we felt comfortable with each other to be honest and straight forward)

He said claimed that his was Gen, and so I just said, "well you're gen is at home and I smiled". And he continued to pursue his was a Gen and that he got it used. So I asked to inspect his Rolex SD and begin explaining to him the faults that he had, starting with the reflection, the engraving on the bezel, etc. He didn't buy any of it, until I showed him his movement, in which the hands would reverse in the opposite direction when you turn the crown in a direction. (I learned this from the dealer which I bought my Rolex from) I'm sure not all rep movements are like that, but this one so happened to be that way. He was stunned for a minute. I felt bad and such a **** for pointing it out in his face, but it was just in the moment and I also knew we were comfortable with one another such that we wont really humiliate or put down a person for wearing a rep.

He then continued by saying, he bought it used from a friend who said that they were in need to pay for the medical bills, and he sold it for cheap. Furthermore the sale included boxes and papers he said, and therefore he was convinced it was gen. In other words, his friend scammed him. Then the discussion changed and we were giving him credit for helping a friend in need, and that the money spent on the watch was well spent. In the end, I felt bad, not knowing whether I should feel worse revealing the truth to him or whether what I did was ethically questionable. But in the end, we are still good friends, and he thanked me for teaching him a new trick about the movement. But in this sense,I think that sometimes calling out reps without any evil intentions or bringing the person down might have a "ok" outcome. Or am I just justifying my wrong deeds :(

:bangin:

Confession: I called out on someone rep before.

So I took a glimpse at it, and I knew that his seadweller was a rep. I was quite convinced because of the back color on the bezel and it didn't reflect the way the gen does. Its hard to explain but the gen has a different feel to the black. I didn't get a chance to look at it closely or inspect it. Anyhow I kept it to myself for a long time, (my parent's potential business partner) I mean I knew he could afford one easily by the approximate income he was receiving. But one day in a casual meeting, with 4 of us talking about business as per usual, Someone popped the question. " So which one of the Rolex'es is gen? " At first, I grinned as i knew mine was gen and his wasn't, but he claimed he has another which he bought at Swiss that was Gen. (To diverge, We were, and still good friends,(all of us) and I think we felt comfortable with each other to be honest and straight forward)

He said claimed that his was Gen, and so I just said, "well you're gen is at home and I smiled". And he continued to pursue his was a Gen and that he got it used. So I asked to inspect his Rolex SD and begin explaining to him the faults that he had, starting with the reflection, the engraving on the bezel, etc. He didn't buy any of it, until I showed him his movement, in which the hands would reverse in the opposite direction when you turn the crown in a direction. (I learned this from the dealer which I bought my Rolex from) I'm sure not all rep movements are like that, but this one so happened to be that way. He was stunned for a minute. I felt bad and such a **** for pointing it out in his face, but it was just in the moment and I also knew we were comfortable with one another such that we wont really humiliate or put down a person for wearing a rep.

He then continued by saying, he bought it used from a friend who said that they were in need to pay for the medical bills, and he sold it for cheap. Furthermore the sale included boxes and papers he said, and therefore he was convinced it was gen. In other words, his friend scammed him. Then the discussion changed and we were giving him credit for helping a friend in need, and that the money spent on the watch was well spent. In the end, I felt bad, not knowing whether I should feel worse revealing the truth to him or whether what I did was ethically questionable. But in the end, we are still good friends, and he thanked me for teaching him a new trick about the movement. But in this sense,I think that sometimes calling out reps without any evil intentions or bringing the person down might have a "ok" outcome. Or am I just justifying my wrong deeds :(

:bangin:

Well if you had never confessed, nobody would know. Therefore I don't think you should be judged by anyone here since your purpose of sharing is not to gloat over the incident. There are a million reasons why someone would wear a rep, why another would never wear one. We all learn about some of those reasons and what matters most is that we learn when to keep our opinions to ourselves in such matters, unless explicitly consulted.

Not judging anyone here but its an interesting subject and I'd have to agree with legend, and add my 10 cents being that if it's your nearest and dearest, then chances are you know about each others collections in detail and geek out together. If not, best to sit in quiet wonder, or simply take another tactic and find an opportunity to raise the subject of watches per se, then perhaps the conversation will move towards rep. If the watch wearer in question admits, or indicates a rep awareness - then low and behold you have a new buddy. Also best to do that in private if the moment arises, to avoid embarrassment for yourself and the watch wearer. If the subject of reps doesnt arise, be safe in your own awereness and knowledge. Because after all thats really what this is all about.

Not judging anyone here but its an interesting subject and I'd have to agree with legend, and add my 10 cents being that if it's your nearest and dearest, then chances are you know about each others collections in detail and geek out together. If not, best to sit in quiet wonder, or simply take another tactic and find an opportunity to raise the subject of watches per se, then perhaps the conversation will move towards rep. If the watch wearer in question admits, or indicates a rep awareness - then low and behold you have a new buddy. Also best to do that in private if the moment arises, to avoid embarrassment for yourself and the watch wearer. If the subject of reps doesnt arise, be safe in your own awereness and knowledge. Because after all thats really what this is all about.

and now you tell me.. *puts bullhorn and speakers away: :lol:

The company that i used to work for which is a family business they all wear rolexes one of there sons has two datonas two datejusts and a hublot they saw me many times wearing my reps and he used to say hey nice watch any way one day we were talking and i told him that they were reps he stood there and said get outta here they are gen

he could not believe they were reps i was wearing a noobmariner tt blue anyway after that he got very interested in reps and often gets me to order him some on condition that i never tell his brothers or anyone else they are rep the guy drives a aston martin and a jag and he wears his reps with pride i have seen him on a number of times at meetings wearing them i asked him why would he want to wear a rep when he can buy a gen like we buy a pair of shoes he was only called out once when showing it to his brother he picked up on the bezel click sound

these guys are not like us they no nothing about details of gens or reps or there contruction they just wear them !

Edited by aeromatic
  • Like 1

If you wear fake; you wear fake! Your own choice, why make a big deal off it?

Sometimes people ask me if my watch is fake or real (especially with Rolex). I always answer the same:

"Is that a real Rolex?"

"No, it's fake, a real Rolex might be like €400,- or even €600,-!"

"No way, a real one can cost you a couple of thousand!!!!"

"Oh really,... that's just crazy!"

Edited by Bidle

The company that i used to work for which is a family business they all wear rolexes one of there sons has two datonas two datejusts and a hublot they saw me many times wearing my reps and he used to say hey nice watch any way one day we were talking and i told him that they were reps he stood there and said get outta here they are gen

he could not believe they were reps i was wearing a noobmariner tt blue anyway after that he got very interested in reps and often gets me to order him some on condition that i never tell his brothers or anyone else they are rep the guy drives a aston martin and a jag and he wears his reps with pride i have seen him on a number of times at meetings wearing them i asked him why would he want to wear a rep when he can buy a gen like we buy a pair of shoes he was only called out once when showing it to his brother he picked up on the bezel click sound

these guys are not like us they no nothing about details of gens or reps or there contruction they just wear them !

Bro, you need to use ur punctuation. I kinda get your story, but find it hard to read. hehe. But yes, many gen owners don't know the exact details of many models and don't know what to look for. And with high quality reps as what we have, the construction is fairly good. But except, many details are not as well made. Like what you pointed out, the clicking noise probably does not sound as smooth. But then again, you get what you pay for, and gotta mod it to get the best out of it.

Bro, you need to use ur punctuation. I kinda get your story, but find it hard to read. hehe. But yes, many gen owners don't know the exact details of many models and don't know what to look for. And with high quality reps as what we have, the construction is fairly good. But except, many details are not as well made. Like what you pointed out, the clicking noise probably does not sound as smooth. But then again, you get what you pay for, and gotta mod it to get the best out of it.

give him a break.. its keyboard malfunction :D

give him a break.. its keyboard malfunction :D

How did you know? :) actually my laptop is suffering from (flashing screen) ribbon cable problems plus i have tired twitchy fingers and cant stop ordering watch parts for projects that i dont have ! :bangin: i used to build hotrods like that too i would buy a nice set of wheels then find a car to sit on them ! :) i promised myself i would not do this with watches !

I am sorry ! i forgot to write my post in english ! :) i have been out of the UK for 22 years (in my location its all greek ! ) :g:

believe it or not, J, I have rep rolexes which bezels "click" better than my gen one ;)

believe it or not, J, I have rep rolexes which bezels "click" better than my gen one ;)

the best click was on my first swiss noob tt blue sub it was smooth enough to add a few more oooo in the word smooth. and also i was checking out a gen datesub and its bezel clicks sounded like a ratchet. Edited by aeromatic

Wow A, gotta see it when I go to Singapore. The ones I've seen so far wasn't great, even the BK/TC modded ones. Guess ur one of the few :D

@ Aeromatic, not trying to picking on you or anything and sorry about your keyboard, but I found it difficult to read despite it being very interesting. hahahaha.