When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken builders on VRF

dieselpower

I think that it's more a case of people trying to find period correct parts to replace on an existing watch that might need something here or there. The term Franken over there means that a watch has been put together using non period correct parts. There's a fine line but if someone over there has a 1675 from 1967 for example and wants to replace parts then they have to have a lot of expertise. They could get a nice faded insert for it but that insert has to be period correct, it has to be a 1967 insert that it would have left the factory with. That's all ok. There are some I'm sure, who don't care and just use any parts they find to construct a watch. The bezel could be a later one used with an earlier dial and a case number that pre-dates it all. That's a Franken. The buyer is supposed to know these things as well so it is important to do lots and lots of homework before buying something. They frown on frankens but not replacing an old damaged part with one that is period correct and correct for that exact model. For example I bought a 5508 from Jacek over there recently. The bezel has seen better days so I did lots of research and found a replacement that is period correct and correct for my model. If and when I decide to sell it, it's not considered a Franken. I don't have to mention it because its irrelevant. The watch would have left rolex with that exact bezel in 58' so it's ok. If it was nos or a later service replacement one, I'd have to mention that.

post-38788-0-20508900-1351863669_thumb.j

post-38788-0-15490200-1351863683_thumb.j

post-38788-0-78385000-1351863692_thumb.j

Who else besides me is now convinced cc33 is in fact James Dowling? Or Mike Wood......... :g:

That's one fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine 5508 my friend. What year is it? If prior to 1960 then the Brevet crown is okay. Otherwise you need to send it to me and I'll send you a nice Twinlock.

:whistling:

Oh man, that's a beauty. Absolutely gorgeous. Your insert and pearl are exactly the same color as my 6536, slate with a hint of blue.

Consider a silver seconds hand for it. That works well with the silver/gilt depth rating and really looks nice.

And is that an exclamation point dial I see? :cc_detective:

That isa a beautiful 5008. Congratulations :inverted:

I also agree with what you said about the VRF and frankens. As long as you replace a part with one that is period correct, there is no reason to worry. AFA building one from parts, I would say it would be cost prohibitive, and probably take you quite a while to assemble all the parts.Best not try to sell 0ne that's been cobbled together from non correct parts, that will get you called out as som as the photos are posted!

Something changed at VRF about 2 years ago. Previously, the merest mention of elective parts swapping, regardless the reason, would likely result in your post being edited, heavily, & your account possibly terminated (speaking from experience). Now, threads detailing searches for & installation of faded bezels, brown dials, iffy lume & the like are commonplace & some of the most popular. While I think it is good to tone down the iron grip a bit, I am not sure that their currently open & free attitude towards modifications is a good thing, as it adds to the confusion & liabilities involving gen collecting. :g:

The availability of parts through the internet, especially on forums like VRF (Market) Ebay, etc.have created a minefield when it comes to Rolex vintage models. You really need to know what you are doing or have someone else who does when it comes to authenticating and buying these watches. I'm sure a lot of neophytes with their jeans full of cash have gotten stung. It' would be pretty disheartening to spend a ton of cash on a vintage Rolex, only to find out that some of the parts are not really correct for that model, or that time period. I would never buy a vintage that I was adding to a collection without having someone who knows that particular model inside and out evaluate it and pass judgement as to whether or not it was what it was supposed to be.

I spend quite a bit of time on VRF, and I would agree the tone has changed a lot lately. Of course... there's also been a lot more of "this isn't what you advertised..." As much as I know their are guys there who know a lot, I also think there are a lot of biases that lead them to turn not as finely tuned an eye on some "trusted member's" watches. That's why if I were ever to sink a small fortune in a piece, I'd have my boys here look at it first. Just given the nature of our hobby, I believe we have a more discriminating view of watches than most people, as we're always looking for the flaws!