When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Gen would you buy ?

HartDoc

Which Gen   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which gen would you pick

• Rolex Sub nodate - 14060M
    • Rolex Sub -116610
    • Rolex GMt - 116710
    • Explorer II - 16570
    • Tudor Black Bay

Ok, I've on the rep side for over a year. I'm going back to the gen side for a little bit. So my next purchase will be a gen.

If you could pick JUST one which one would you go for ?

BTW I've already decided which one Im going to get just curious which way my rep brothers would go.

Here are the choices

Rolex Sub nodate - 14060M

Rolex Sub -116610

Rolex GMt - 116710

Explorer II - 16570

Tudor Black Bay

I didnt post pics because everyone knows what they look like.

I have some guidelines in picking my few gens:

1. There isn't any "super" rep for the watch.

2. The watch has something special about it that would give significance for owning the gen (history, great in-house movement, materials, etc...)

3. I can get it at a resonable price comparing prices of that watch anywhere in the world.

Hands down (extra hand in this case). I'd get the new GMT. The subs are way too common. I wouldn't even get one in rep. The new GMT is one of the top Rolex models right now IMHO. I wish they made a proper rep. And that's another reason to get the new GMT. Too many tells on the rep. Ceramic insert and CHS being the main issue for me.

Angus is working on the black bay if you like a bit more bling, like I do. So the rep is a good choice there because not many recognize the Tudor brand anyway. Even some who do look at it as sub par(no pun intended again). I know people who do. Whatever.

GMT hands down.

No love for the new Sub? I'm going to come out and say that I would buy the Submariner, I really like the new case with thicker lugs and crown guards. The new dial is also much nicer for my tastes.

2nd choice, I'd go GMT.

How about a nice Fifty Fathoms ?

The only one worth getting is the 5015-1130-52

Its on my list but they go for ~ $13k new and the best price used I've seen is around $9k. Since BP's resale value is horrible most people would rather hold onto them to sell them at a $6-7k loss.

But if one comes up within striking distance. Oh yeah it will be mine.

1. There isn't any "super" rep for the watch.

DOXA: Check. No reps.

2. The watch has something special about it that would give significance for owning the gen (history, great in-house movement, materials, etc...)

DOXA: Check. Original dive watch, Jacques Cousteau out the wazzoo.

3. I can get it at a resonable price comparing prices of that watch anywhere in the world.

DOXA: Check. A fraction the price of a Rolex, and far more rare. A certain equally-rare Rolex just sold for $500,000, Antiquorum.

No brainer. Get the DOXA. :tu:

Nope, this Doxa is the ultra rare Black Lung, of which 12 known examples exist. It's arguably the coolest Doxa too, with the orange Professional dial and domed plexiglas, from the very first months of production.

And it can be yours for under $2,300 :o

No brainer.

@Nanuq, I almost brought that darn black lung last night. Damn you again.

But this is what I actually did.

Traded

Gen 500m, Sinn u1, and a little cash for a Pam zero - face to face

I have a pending trade for the zero for a Ploprof plus a little cash.

But, I have email the black lung seller for a potential trade - a gen PO pumpkin for the doxa.

So hopeful I can have two cool dive watches with very little cash out of pocket.

Plus I can also reduce the volume of watches I have.

Okay that sequence almost gets you off the hook. Almost.

Just don't let me hear about you winding up with a *gag* PAM :nono: when you could have had a real watch.

Edit: Reading again, I stroke my craggy chin and nod my head. You have chosen wisely. Dump the *gag* PAM and score a sweet Plop.... nicely played.