When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Potential Vintage Rolex buy experts needed

jmv831

I have a old friend really old who's selling his vintage rolex watch. It's an Air King Date. Just wanted to see you guys expertise as far as getting it restored to the fullest. He says its about 40 yrs old. He bought it used 15 yrs ago for 1500 and he just wants his investment back. and says that it just sat in the safe most if the time. I did some research online and the date version is the one that's rare and hard to find. Any one can shed some light as to how much the watch is worth how much should i offer him. cost in restore the case and bracelets. I plan to buy for myself since its a 40yr old watch and I'm turning 40yrs old soon.

Pics attached. Thanks

post-48610-135586928958.jpg

post-48610-13558693033.jpg

post-48610-135586931867.jpg

Edited by jmv831

I would say it is worth probably only $1500.  I have seen them go in the pawn shops around my area that do specialize in watches and have a watch maker on site for that amount.   It does need some work.  That being said it is a gen watch.

I say this knowing that an all stainless DateJust can be had at one of the said pawnshops for around $1800..   You can do a new dial and bezel as well as a band and have what looks like a new watch for a

fraction of the price of a new one.

Case could be buffed bracelet and clasp get a new one service the movement.  I know my watch maker could go all Rolex and be done at $1000 to $1250..

Edited by striker27

If it's been sitting for 15 years, you better factor in a service as well. i would decide how much you are going to need to spend on it, and then decide if it's worth it. If you spend 1500 on the watch get it serviced at and independent watchmaker for 200-250 and get the bracelet and the clasp polished. you could have a pretty nice watch for 1700-1800 USD. If you take it to a RSC, the service will cost half the cost of the watch!! They will want to change the crystal, crown/tube. maybe the dial/hands and possibly the bracelet. If you go that route, you will end up with a "like new" watch, but you will also have twice what it's worth, in it.

I spent the whole afternoon reading about the watch yesterday and goin to different forums specially at Rolex Forums. They do hold a good value and with the right collector and condition of the watch they go as high as 3K. I called my local Rolex AD here in Carmel CA and they will still service the watch. They told me they are only one of the few who services vintage Rolex because that's their stores main expertise and that's what they sell. Some Rolex AD will not service vintage rolex. The full service will cost 390 USD on this. So I went to check out the watch lastnight and talk to my friend about it...bla bla bla my typical strategy..about servicing the watch and told him that its hard to find a AD who would service it. That's since it's been sitting for years gotta have to service it. To cut the story short he asked me how much id paid for the watch. And I'm like...ummm half? How bout 700 bucks. Then he answer "deal.. it yours!" I'm like no freakin way... So I checked it out gave it a shake winded it and adjusted the time. The sweep is smooth. Just like I read on rolex forums the date change is slow not instant like new calibers. The bracelet is tight a lil scratchy but can be polished. I took off the bracelets to check the ref # and Sn it's there. It's a 5700 and serial of mid 6million makin it 1980 so it's not 40 yrs old. That's fine. 32 yrs is stil vintage. So that's my story my first Genuine Rolex for 700 bucks. I will take pictures of this beautiful vintage and post it later today. Thanks

Congratulations.

(Am I the only one who thinks, if I picked up a gen AirKing for $700 with a beautiful open six datewheel like that... I'd have the movement beating inside a MBW 1665 and be working on a franken AK to give to my son? It's a disease, I tell ya.)

Been there done that, its contagious all right ...  Nice deal

P.