When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6200

cc33

I've always been very in love with the no crown guard subs, so much so that I recently got a gen 5508 no crown guard. I have been planning to do a grail build after realizing that some of the older models like the 6200's or 6538's are just too expensive. I might be able to afford a decent 6536 one day but in the meantime I will try to make an amazing 6200. I spoke with Minh about it and have decided to use his services for the build. I have everything sorted out but he doesn't have a gilt seconds hand that has the extra large lume dot on it.. I think they all had this so to me it would look funny with a reg sized lume dot. I found the right ones at classicwatchparts (in the photo) so it shouldn't be too hard to get my local watchsmith to swap hands. Here's a couple pics of the look I'm going for, I'll be back in here next week to show the final product :)

post-38788-0-40606400-1358437819_thumb.j

post-38788-0-90569600-1358437832_thumb.j

post-38788-0-86136800-1358437855_thumb.j

post-38788-0-84736200-1358438212_thumb.j

post-38788-0-75103600-1358438221_thumb.j

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is the correct caliber for the watch, but be prepared to have it professionally overhauled upon receipt. As is the case with most aftermarket parts sellers, I have seen some really ratty stuff going on inside movements that were supposedly 'professionally' serviced by these guys or their 'watchmakers'.

I cannot wait to see the finished project. In fact, I am so inspired that I am taking off my Newman & putting on my Bond Sub.

Good luck.

That is the correct caliber for the watch, but be prepared to have it professionally overhauled upon receipt. As is the case with most aftermarket parts sellers, I have seen some really ratty stuff going on inside movements that were supposedly 'professionally' serviced by these guys or their 'watchmakers'.

I cannot wait to see the finished project. In fact, I am so inspired that I am taking off my Newman & putting on my Bond Sub.

Good luck.

Thank you, I will have my watchsmith give it a service before he changes the hands and crystal.

Nanuq, I just realized I can finally use that tropic 17! I think it's the right one for this watch just hope it fits! It didn't fit on my 5510

Hot dog! As rare as that crystal is, I'm glad you found such an impressive use for it!

Wow Joey, awesome 6204!!

Well, the saga continues... I've been emailing Minh back and forth all night trying to chose my dial. I wanted this one (pic 2) but he said they had none left. He offered me the one in the first pic but it wasn't up to par at all imo. So after a bunch of back and forth I settled on this dial (third pic) which is for a 6538. I guess it makes sense in hindsight to build the watch around the dial and that I made the mistake of choosing the model I wanted before knowing if there was a great dial to use with it. A 6538 is still a grail of mine and a big crown so Ill be happy. I still really really like the simplicity of the 6200 dial's and will make one when Minh gets the exact dial I want in the future.

post-38788-0-57629900-1358872363_thumb.j

post-38788-0-50505200-1358872521_thumb.j

post-38788-0-40050300-1358872540_thumb.j

Lol, I never seem to fall in love with the other crown guard models as much as these. Something very special about them! I wish I was older and fell in love with them in the 70's/80's when the gens could be had for very little $. Now aside from my 5508 and hopefully a future 6536/1 I don't think I will ever be able to spend 30-40+ thousand on one

What on earth do you do for a living CC, A bank robber??? Good on you though mate. Nice to see a genuine collector of these beautiful older watches who has a balanced view of the Forums and in reality what watches really are. A metal case, a movement and basically something that tells the time ;)