When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Marriage watch.. Good investment?

Lil princess

Hi everyone.

I posted recently about Patek pocket watches being turned into new marriage watches.

I love the look. Ticks all the boxes for me.. Gen, BIG, see the movement, beautiful face. I want one! No, I need one!

What are people's thoughts? Do you think they would go up in value over years?

I'm looking at this at the mo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1906-IWC-Schaffhausen-chronometer-wristwatch-/230922686937?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item35c41091d9

Other than its parts value (for the movement, assuming it is all correct), there is no real long-term value in these since they were not made by Patek, are not a design that Patek would ever consider & would never be authenticated by a Patek representative or collector. I hate to seem harsh, but these are monstrosities, nothing more. Patek made its name by producing finely-crafted works of horological art for men with style, not fads for the fashionable (the era of watches that can be seen from space ended some time ago, so it is difficult to even call them fashionable anymore).

Please do not waste your money on 1 of these. If you want a Patek, get a Patek. If the price is too steep, buy used or get a nice (simple) Patek rep. Or, if you must have a gargantuan watch, get 1 from a watch company that makes gargantuan watches.

I agree 100%. these aren't worth anything as far as investment value. they are huge, difficult or impossible to make water resistant, and are overall just a bad deal. If you look at the listings, almost all of them are coming from Eastern Europe. Those watchmakers (term used loosely!!) Are using redials, bogus movements and supposedly silver cases. but they well may be brass with silver plating, who knows. Those guys are experts at identity changing. They are the original "shape shifters" If they pull a few scams, Ebay shuts them down, they just resurface as a different person, and do the same thing again..

Save your money and get a real wristwatch. If you want a Patek, save up and get a simple dress Patek.

The sad part is the original IWC 1908 gold pocket watch would be a much better investment than this fantasy piece.

Like it was said before these conversion pieces are barely worth the parts value and in this case the only part worth anything could be the movement. However without the other original parts for the pocket watch who would need a 1908 IWC movement?

Stuff the investment chat who gives fig .

It is  a classy looking dress watch. Petek'esq  in style and its for your wedding day . You dont want some cheap old rep .

I say go for it , get some sniper tool to bid for you at the end.  I reckon you will look the biz on your day with that on one arm and new wifey on the other 

Stuff the investment chat who gives fig .

It is  a classy looking dress watch. Petek'esq  in style and its for your wedding day . You dont want some cheap old rep .

I say go for it , get some sniper tool to bid for you at the end.  I reckon you will look the biz on your day with that on one arm and new wifey on the other 

Good advice, just not a good investment, but then how many watches are? Outside of most Rolex models and a select few exotic, one off or classics like Patek, Breguet, etc most watchex actually depreciate in value. If you don't believe it, go over to WUS or TZ  and look at 95% of the watches for sale. most are selling at considerable discounts from their retail price when new.

Buy em cause you love them, wear them cause you want to!! Any good investment counselor worth his/her salt will try their best to steer you away from Art, watches, exotic cars,etc, as investments. Most are fairly illiquid Is this a word?), especially when times are tough and high end markets are slow.I knew a guy back in the 80's who was into Ferraris, especially the really exotic ones, he was making money hand over fist bying and selling, and then all of asudden the Japanese market crashed, the Japanese quit buying, and he lost about 3.5 million in six months on cars he bought and had to unload at fire sale prices. the big buyers left and all that were left were the vultures to pick the bones of the dead and dying.