When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For those who clip dial feet..

bones

In the process of getting this manufactured / 3D printed. Hopefully should take the guesswork out of re-fitting new feet on dials that had originally the Rolex (or other) dial feet positions. Of course I will have to test the accuracy of the manufacturing and see if it works as well as I hope it does. 

3 Spacer discs (1mm/1.5mm/2mm) so you can adjust the height that the dial sits for different feet, also marker at 12 for alignment. Just waiting to hear back on costs etc. (This is not a sales thread, or an advertisment, or a pre-order process)

pZWCXMQ.jpg
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

"This is a good idea...anything that keeps people from clipping feet on a gen dial is a good thing"

+1

I went so far as to drill dial foot holes for 1530 base rolex dials on Bulova 11BLACD movements.

Iirc this works best on no date dials with shorter dial feet, it has been so long ago I can not remember. The 11BLACD is a slow set date movement that runs at 18000 bph and the 9mm date offset matches rolex dials although the font is wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a good idea...anything that keeps people from clipping feet on a gen dial is a good thing.

This is for the other way around, you clip the gen dial feet and then install ETA feet on it

Kinda surprised there aren't ETA clones with Rollie dial holes yet---

You can't, one of the dial feet goes through the balance wheel

"This is a good idea...anything that keeps people from clipping feet on a gen dial is a good thing"

+1

Is no one listening? It is not possible to install a gen Rolex 3135 dial on an ETA 28xx movement without clipping at least one of the feet. 

This device is designed to let people install ETA feet on Rolex dials that have had their feet clipped, not to prevent people from clipping the feet off of gen dials.

a small test run was done..and all the pieces were sold off....I got one of them...so if anyone wants dial feet repositioned I could do it for them....I don't know if anymore will be made in the future...

thanks for your offer, were are you located? If you're in the EU i have two dials that need ETA positioned feet.

I'd love one that would take ETA dials and help convert them to Rolex feet! I have access to a 3D printer, if someone has the file, I can see about getting one made up.

I'm working on a jig to do this myself. I have a few gen dials, and a few ETA that I can use to see if I get the positioning right.

So you're thinking of using an ETA dial on a Rolex movement?

Mind if I ask why? Usually people go the other way around, since the dial is the part you can see...

• 3 months later...

As an update to this project that some people might be interested in. I've uploaded some more designs to a website called Sculpteo who can print and send you the designs as you wish. There are three available, one compromising 2836/2824 and 7750 feet locations, one with added 6497 feet and another with Hamilton 917 feet locations for those who build vintage pams. 

They can all be found here; http://www.sculpteo.com/en/s/richardminton/main

UvY6v1L.png

F5XjX4X.png

0IYrM3M.png

Edited by bones

Bonessey, you can read thoughts!

Yesterday, I bumped over some similar platforms and immediately thought of your positioning tools.

I thought, it would be great if your alignment tools can be ordered over such Rapid Prototyping platforms ... and today ... you have made them available!

Great job!

Just a thought, why not put holes for the common rolex movements (1030, 15xx, 3150) as well. Here's why. The most accurate way to position a watch is using the feet. If you keep the rolex feet on and align the dial using them in holes on the jig, you can be sure the ones placed in the eta holes are aligned perfect. No room for in intended movement either. Then clip the feet after and you have perfect alignment.

Also allows you to go back if you score a gen movement.

Very good ideas, especially including rolex 1030, 1530 and 3035/3135 holes.

A little bit off the subject but I wonder if industrial epoxy like used in manufacturing would be strong enough to hold platform type dial feet (Bergeon etc) to a dial?

All the consumer epoxy you get is made for idiots (so they will not glue their nose holes together) and not very strong at all, it's not much better than Poligrip.

I know there is some strong stuff out there because a friend who does commercial printing had an O ring inside an 'Edge' printer break (the O ring drives it) and he got an O ring repair kit with super duper glue of some sort and cut the new O ring and put it in the machine without taking the machine apart. It is still holding after 15+ years and miles of printing. The O ring was a couple bucks and the one step (no mix) glue was over $20USD for a little bitty tube.

(the guy who sold it to him said to keep it away from the bathroom and bedroom...)  ;)

Anyone ever try this stuff on anything?

Permatex® PermaPoxy™ 4 Minute Multi-Metal Epoxy

"Versatile, easy-to-use, multi-metal epoxy adhesive is two-part adhesive and filler system that eliminates the need for welding or brazing. Sets in four minutes, no clamping needed. Dark grey appearance. Fills gaps and will not shrink. When cured, can be drilled, sanded, threaded or filed. Resistant to water and solvents. Temperature range -60°F to 300°F (-51°C to 149°C). Permanent strength up to 4500 PSI."

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/adhesives-sealants/epoxies/permatex--permapoxy--4-minute-multi-metal-epoxy-detail#sthash.XAgJBn1s.dpuf