When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No more reason to buy Gen

Erict719

George, you're starting to get under my skin and I'm looking at gen 3035s now... :-) Maybe that could be because I just landed a refinished gen matte dial...

:1a: ...now you're talking Brother.

If I were building a 16610 I'd jump all over the dial LondonGeorge has....Beautiful patina'd...it's SUH-WEEEEET

I'm just into the 16800 series at the moment.

But regarding the initial topic of the Thread....it's all about what you want Brother.

No doubt in my mind that once the case on mine is engraved I could send it to RSC for a work-over and they'd never even bat an eye at it :)

(THAT'S the fun and enjoyment I get out of it...taking it all the way to be all it can be . I coulda bought a gen...but I coulda hadda V-8 too :inverted: )

What's  the difference in adding a bunch of aftermarket parts to a genuine case or adding a bunch of genuine parts to an aftermarket case :g:

I personally don't see the difference.

For personal consumption nothing.

However, if you ever have to sell, two serial numbers is the difference. Missing one of those and you can forget a reasonable resale value.

A forged or replicated serial IMO is going WAAAAYYYYY too far even if there are no plans to sell. At that point, I ask why bother? People don't see the serial just as they don't see a movement.  How does that have any value added benefit?

Edited by gavidoc

think your right and wrong in some areas, some of the members ARE well off and could afford a lot of high end gens, and do, but building a watch is its own experience in its self. There are some ppl who like to playoff they reps as gens, because let be honest that's kindof why we by them in the first place. I work for a living and could afford some Nice gens with no problem,.and with some of my lotto winnings maybe some even more expensive gens but to be honest I like building and Modding more than just buying a watch. In the end I love watches plain and simple, rep or gen I dint give a shit as long as it ticks I'm game.

I will agree with what you say but partially ;)

I must add that I've been building many "frankens" with some legendary members here before.

What's left from those times is good memories and friendship, not the watches from which I probably recoup 75% in the best cases.

Modding is like everything else in the end of the day: when you sourced what you wanted, have the final watch carry the parts you wanted, you spent many time and energy (which should be added to the final budget) and a lot of money to end up with a rep anyway.

I probably had the most complicated project which was to build a single red, a double red and a great white + a couple of 1680 red/white.

It took years and in the end I was so happy with my gen 1680 white when I could afford one very nice specimen that I let the reps go.

Now, I had to let the gen go too...shall I build another series of 1665 and 1680?

Nope, I'm only improving a 1665 white and a 1680 white because I like them so much, cannot afford the gens at the moment and have them in the good hands of two estimated members of this community.

In the end a 1.500$ watch, or even more, isn't truly different from a 500$ one in terms of accuracy in my eyes anymore if you compare it to its gen counterpart.

So, let's take a true example of a watch build: Andy and his daughter build me a very unique watch.

I'm the only one in the entire world to own this one (see here under). Nobody else ever will :)

I have a booklet coming with it showing "the making of".

Well, that is what I would call "build a watch".

post-4865-0-18531800-1362350479_thumb.jp

post-4865-0-69997200-1362350498_thumb.jp

I agree.. I believe lots of us could afford gen. Just for me, I think if we could get a watch which is 90% as good for 20% of price. I will save money for other area .

Hmmm, not sure if I agree.

Back to food: for 20% of the real deal you will never get the great meal, the real deal.

Same with watches.

In the end, I discovered reps a few years ago and I have never ever been called out by anybody.

So, my thing is not to "pretend" I wear the real deal, it's just about liking the design but temporary not able to get the real deal.

Just my two cents of course :g:  

For personal consumption nothing.

However, if you ever have to sell, two serial numbers is the difference. Missing one of those and you can forget a reasonable resale value.

A forged or replicated serial IMO is going WAAAAYYYYY too far even if there are no plans to sell. At that point, I ask why bother? People don't see the serial just as they don't see a movement.  How does that have any value added benefit?

Well...from a market value point of view it doesn't. (I'm not having an aftermarket replacement case engraved to fool anyone and I certainly didn't buy the gen boxes/punched paper to make a "forgery" of  my case and try to play it off as a genuine.

Granted no one but me see's what's between the lugs, inside the SEL or even what mvt is in it...but I'll know :)

And when selling a watch on the boards, if you list it as "swiss eta" you're required to "show" it. So if I have to "show" my gen 3035 there's a 1400.00 increase right there.(serviced mvt.)

Taking a build this far isn't likely something many would even consider doing....but I considered it...and had hours of enjoyment searching/sourcing everything needed TO do it.

It's about the feat and accomplishment for me.

Many would say I accomplished nothing more than wasting alot of money on a replica Submariner. And that's fine. I didn't accomplish this for anyone BUT me.

Lose money on the deal....I won't .

If it ever came to that I can easily disassemble the watch and sell all the parts back to the gen world...and likely at a profit :)

But what exactly are you reffering to when you mention 2 serial numbers ??

Were they putting the case serial on the mvt. back then ??

I agree.. I believe lots of us could afford gen. Just for me, I think if we could get a watch which is 90% as good for 20% of price. I will save money for other area .

Yup. You're right.

But I had a choice....buy a gen watch or build "The Ultimate Build".....so I thought about, decided which would be more fun...and away I went :)

The 2 serial numbers are the case and the movement. If one is so inclined they can have these checked to ensure that the 2 match up as they are married together when the watch is assembled (or so I have been told). They are what make a rolex a genuine article whether it has aftermarket parts or not. Without these two matching up, you will not be able to have it returned to 100% authentic by Rolex. Let's say you buy a 16710 but the movement was replaced with one from 16570 (explorer II) and take it to an RSC. The RSC will either refuse to work on it or return it to a 16570 with a replacement case.

The 2 serial numbers are the case and the movement. If one is so inclined they can have these checked to ensure that the 2 match up as they are married together when the watch is assembled (or so I have been told). They are what make a rolex a genuine article whether it has aftermarket parts or not. Without these two matching up, you will not be able to have it returned to 100% authentic by Rolex. Let's say you buy a 16710 but the movement was replaced with one from 16570 (explorer II) and take it to an RSC. The RSC will either refuse to work on it or return it to a 16570 with a replacement case.

Ahh....sorta like an "all numbers matching" '66 SS Chevelle with Muncie and 4:11 posi..replaced with the same 396 but not the "exact same block" that went into it on the assembly line ( Ive been through that before too)

Thanks for the info 'Doc.....greatly appreciated Brother.

Ahh....sorta like an "all numbers matching" '66 SS Chevelle with Muncie and 4:11 posi..replaced with the same 396 but not the "exact same block" that went into it on the assembly line ( Ive been through that before too)

Yep. Same scenario though Chevy will still work on the Chevelle.

And no problem.

For the most part, I subscribe to all of the same ideas already mentioned here, as shallow as they are :) I'm just another man with complexes, vices and vanity.  

There's just one thing to add on my end - I don't like the finality that comes with purchasing a complete genuine piece.  I think that for me the big allure is the journey; the fact that try as you might, you're always on a trajectory to your goal but rarely arrive at the destination.  The destination would probably be an all period-correct, matching genuine parts build, which is ultimately stasis and the end of a project. 

The watches we put together are flawed, we have little to no disposable parts to replace the worn or broken ones and we spend time improving, improvising, hunting for information or parts, buying tools and learning new techniques. We connect with tons of cool people in the process and this why many of us are here and this is why this is awesome.

• Like 1

I don't buy watches with the aim to re-sell them, so to me, re-sale value is irrelevant...  I'm not in a position to buy gens, but even if I was, I wouldn't do so. IMHO, paying $$s for a 'prestige product' isn't showing class, it's nothing more than being able to pay the price of admission, and nothing more than getting ripped off by a corporation... 

Wolf....I couldn't have said it better myself Brother. It "is:" the journey, not the destination and a build is alot more fun that just dropping the dough and...POOF.... it's over.

In searching/sourcing and the likes I too have gained a fair amount of knowledge in the models I'm interested in....not to mention meeting the acquaintance of some great guys and hooking up with some real nice parts dealer.

When I found this community I didn't know how to open a case back or even pull a stem.

After a long and enjoyable journey (that's far from being over) I believe I could now pick up the phone or send an email or two and get my hands on just about any gen part ever needed for my projects.......and as long as no major modding is required, install them too.  :)

TeeJay...cost to build and resale value certainly aren't on the top of my list either when it comes to putting a build together. I'm a blue collar working-class dawg and Rolex doesn't afford me any kind of status. It's just the Brand that  appeals to me...( being a global Icon probably had something to do with that)..so I stuck with it. :)

My very first "real nice watch" purchase was a Submariner back in 1991 or so....since then the Submariner has always been among my favorites...............

When I found this community I didn't know how to open a case back or even pull a stem.

Yep, me too. What I've learned and can accomplish thanks to all of you impresses me! 

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is being tageted for a crime. In 2001 my hotel room in Waikiki was broken into and my rep GMT stolen. If it had been real I'd have been very upset. But I'm sure that I was seen wearing it and that is what brought on the break-in. I know whatever watch I'm wearing is noticed, and certainly in a tourist area. I no longer wear my good reps there! 

I've lost less dealing in gens then I have in reps. Actually I've pretty much broke even in the end. With reps I imagine I'm at the very least, $1.5k down since I started. Hmm... Come to think of it... Those 5 year maintenance costs to RSC doesn't look that bad any more.. And agreed with above.. You can insure a gen.