When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

There's just something about a vintage Sub

Nanuq

At the spa.....that piece looks totally awesome as pictured.

Mr. Nanuq....enough please already....you're killin' me...THAT'S SUH---WEET !!

If I may, what is the breakdown on the builds of these 2 beauties you have ??

Well, the first one you'll have some trouble recreating... it's a gen from 1958. 

The second one sprung from the hands of our very own Big Dazza, via Denimhead, in roughly that form.  I did some enhanced lovin' on it and pooched the movement (hence the spa).

Big D is a newly minted Modder here in the hallowed halls of RWG.  Give him a whistle and I bet he'll set you up.

• Like 1

I wish!  Multip

No wonder the first one..."simplicity at it's finest" caught my eye.

WOW....a gen 5510 "James Bond"... that's a very nice $ub :)

I wish!  Multiply that model number by 1.1862068965517241379310344827586 and you'll get the real model number.

My friend, and let me say, yes we are older than most of you, bought a new submariner, rolex of course, not tudor, new in 1967. He paid, get this $59.00 for it. He still has it today, with the box and papers from where he bought it. In fact he still wears it on occasion. Never been open since he bought it, and still keeps pretty good time. I also have a friend, well he died a couple of years ago, who was given a new 1968 tudor snow flake from the Navy. After he passed, his son asked me to service it, which I did, and he has worn it every day since. Just thought I would share some history on these old watches. I think that lends crediability to the saying "whats old becomes new again". For years these watches were out of style, but now they are a hit amongst the younger men. I love it

Edited by mymanmatt

For years these watches were out of style, but now they are a hit amongst the younger men. I love it

Rolex out of style? Never been in the nearly 30 years since I have been collecting. Vintage Rolex watches may not have been as valuable as they are now, but they have never been out of style. The thing is that younger men tend to follow fashion, not style - 2 very different things (fashion is temporary, often changing with seasons &/or the wearing habits of celebrities; while style is permanent).

My feelings are that Rolex is moving in that direction. i''m certain their marketing department is telling the designers to design "what the public wants right now" unfortunately, classic is in style for a long long time, fads are just that, they are all the rage today, tomorrow, they are as cold as ice. i certainly wouldn't want to tell Rolex what they should design, only time will tell if they are right or wrong. Another thing that is in play here, what someone in their 6th decade like me, finds "in style" may not be what a 20-40 year old would wear.

Lovely pieces, and I couldn't agree more with what freddy333 said about style vs fashion. Fashion is stupid to me as it is by definition transient and therefore shallow. Now style, that's a whole different ball game and yes, vintage rollies have it in spades. The fact that the pieces we're raving about were created during the 1950-70 period is also of no surprise. Look at the great cars that are commanding multi million pound prices now, same period of time. Come to think of it the films and music that was being made then takes some beating too! It was a purple patch for mankind.

Lovely pieces, and I couldn't agree more with what freddy333 said about style vs fashion. Fashion is stupid to me as it is by definition transient and therefore shallow. Now style, that's a whole different ball game and yes, vintage rollies have it in spades. The fact that the pieces we're raving about were created during the 1950-70 period is also of no surprise. Look at the great cars that are commanding multi million pound prices now, same period of time. Come to think of it the films and music that was being made then takes some beating too! It was a purple patch for mankind.

And the People! Think of the truly great and supremely handsome who were born in the `50s.  :whistling: