When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 on Bracelet or Leather

Ronin

Keep 7206 on 1016 or Not  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should I stick with Steel or Go Back to Leather?

• Steel C&I 7206 Bracelet
    • Genuine Tegu Lizard Leather Strap
    • Install 9315 w/558 endlinks

So, I have a dilemma.

I finally installed the C&I 7206 bracelet, with minimal stretch for its age, on my 1016 project (Project: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/151625-1016-wip-almost-fin/).

I then received an offer of $750 from an acquaintance who wants to buy the bracelet from me.  I am on the fence.  I don't need the money, but I am also luke-warm on the "fit" (primarily endlinks).  I also need to remove a link (which is no big deal, I have a tool that makes quick work of R&Ring these links).

Finally, I could install a 9315 w/558 end-links (558 are the correct link for the 160x case).  This would proved the best bracelet fit, but I loose the rivets.  It does fit the "Service Theme"

Photos to help with decision.

iNzxVKXmK5G26.jpg

iAVAPSB5fDMCy.jpg

iMQpsfDOIoGY0.jpg

ibu6V92My5AapD.jpg

ibgpujbCkwklly.jpg

ibznh5oggy3Ccx.jpg

i4kPlic3jlHYQ.jpg

ibatIXta641AkB.jpg

ibh3OMbgdxNy1K.jpg

iPGjIfrSk4Dfq.jpg

On the Fence...

Definitely the bracelet. What's C&I?

C&I were the USA Market 7206.  Key differences are the clasp is a bit larger, and lack the Steelinox marking, etc.  Also, the Rivets have dimples in the tops of them.

Personally I don't like the 1016-leather combo, doesn't work for me since the Explorer is the pure toolwatch.

Over all I don't like the 7206 that much and I think I would put a 7836 or 78360 on it. Imho it would be more correct since you have a service dial.

I would sell the 7206 and get a nice 7836/78360 instead and you have probably a bit money left as well.

• Like 1

Personally I don't like the 1016-leather combo, doesn't work for me since the Explorer is the pure toolwatch.

Over all I don't like the 7206 that much and I think I would put a 7836 or 78360 on it. Imho it would be more correct since you have a service dial.

I would sell the 7206 and get a nice 7836/78360 instead and you have probably a bit money left as well.

I have to say, you make some excellent points.  Thus, my 3rd choice.  While the 7836x is the correct, non-safety clasp counterpart to the 9315x, I have a MINT 9315 sitting in my safe.  With the correct endlinks (558) for this DJ 160x case, it could be the perfect mash-up for a 40+year old watch.  (I am not a purest, and matching a 783x vs 9315x is a plausible real world scenario).

You mentioned "I have a tool that makes quick work of R&Ring these links" could you share a pic with the forum? I'm sure there are others here that would like to make "quick work" of adding and replacing the links on these Vintage Rolex USA C⚜I* Rivet Oyster Bracelet's as well as the Swiss made counterparts.
*The mark between the C and I is named a Fleur de Lis (flower of the lily) which is of French origin and in auction's it is replaced with a plus (+) sign,erroneously.

I have to say, you make some excellent points.  Thus, my 3rd choice.  While the 7836x is the correct, non-safety clasp counterpart to the 9315x, I have a MINT 9315 sitting in my safe.  With the correct endlinks (558) for this DJ 160x case, it could be the perfect mash-up for a 40+year old watch.  (I am not a purest, and matching a 783x vs 9315x is a plausible real world scenario).

Hi Ronin,

totally understand. To be honest I'll do the same and wear my 1016 on a 93150 (78360 with 93150 clasp) I want that extra bit of "safety". And it's not uncommon, when you ordered a Explorer back then it was possible to get it with a Fliplock clasp.