When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dremel advice needed

dieselpower

i know there are some different Dremel brand models that vary in price.  I received a Ryobi version kit as a gift but i havent used it yet.  I dont know  if you have that brand in the UK because it is usually at home depots.     Basically most models will perform the way you want it too.   The more expensive ones have more features that arent necessarily useful.  

If you can find a cheap $15 one i would get that and use it until it breaks.     do research on what tips you will be using.    If you are doing really fine or detailed work remember to almost caress what ever you are working on.     If that makes any sense.

I have been using a mid-level Dremel for a number of years & my only complaint is that the cord can get in the way. If/when I have to replace it, I will probably get the cordless version. Beyond that, just make sure to plan ahead & gather all the tips you will need for the job at hand. Even Sears sells compatible tips/tools for the Dremel.

i also bought a generic brand and its rock solid, got it on sale $9 with a kit that included accesorries i use it all the time and it has never let me down it fits all licensed dremel parts too.

i was originally weary of the low price being too good to be true but i can attest to its reliability and performance, it also does not feel cheap in the slightest

this one:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/2/CordedPowerTools/RotaryToolKits/PRD~0544777P/Jobmate+24-piece+Rotary+Tool+Kit.jsp?locale=en

I bought a cheap and cheerful one from Bunnings over here and it's great, the Dremel kit parts all fit it exactly the same anyway and tbh it's only for light work so should last ok for ya  :)  Wickes will have them !

Cheers chaps. I'll try to find a cheapo that takes dremel bits. First job is to polish outer lug hole entry points to make them nice and smooth and slightly countersunk as per gen. Any tips on how to achieve this?

soft felt polishing disc and green compound, dremel may actually be too fast for fine polishing

^ And this is why I use a Foredom flexshaft with high quality rouges from menzerna for small detail work and a Baldor lathe with full kit of wheels and mops for larger geometries. I have a dremel too but that's reserved for home DIY projects, not watches.

soft felt polishing disc and green compound, dremel may actually be too fast for fine polishing

Yep, and as JMB said, variable speed is a better way to go. I have a Dremel variable, a Black and Decker variable cordless, and had cheap ones in the past. I would go cheap today. Harbor Freight, or any of the big hardware chains usually have the Chinese made, and we know first hand now how the Chinese have improved their products. 

I certainly don't do any watch modding, but i do alot of wood working, building and redoing stuff.  I bought a flexible shaft Dremel several years ago. It's pretty good, variable speed motor and you don't have to hold the tool in your hand, just the end of the shaft. i agree with the Foredom flex shaft, i had one years ago when I was doing a lot of custom stock work on Rifles. I liked the foot pedal that allowed you to change the speed without moving your hands away from the work. unfortunately, it "got lost" in a move and I ended up not replacing it. If  I remember right they were pretty expensive, even back in the early 1980's

OK. Thanks for all advices. Basically I can get one that comes with a flexi shaft and variable speed 15,000 to 35,000 rpm (135W motor). Or one without the flexi drive shaft but variable speed goes 10,000 to 35,000 rpm (both circa £20)

Should I go for the flexi even though min speed is 15k or opt for the lower speed 10k without the flexi?