When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Comex roadblock

danielv2000

Well, I'm sure you've all been there before. You gather all the parts, in my case:

MBW/MBK old school 1665 case

Gen dial

Gen insert

Gen crown and tube

Gen 1570

MQ Comex dial and hands

Beautiful Comex caseback purchased right here from a great and trusted member.

Input everything in the box and off to the Zigmeister it goes.

Then, BOOM! The movement won't sit in the case correctly. Machining is required which may or may not work. What's a guy to do??

Not to worry, all that is needed is a slight reshaping of the calendar ring (which can be replaced if you transplant the works into a gen case later) to fit the case. Ziggy is quite capable in that dept. My DRSD is all gen except for the MBW mid-case (modded to include a working Hev) & aftermarket dial & I had to do the same thing

pre-sandy16650162__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Hmm, i think it will work! Havent rolexaddict done this in the past? I have to go back anf check my emails.

But yes its a bummer when you get slaped in the face like that :(

Thanks guys! I'll see what Zigmeister says. Nice to get some support as my wife simply said - "I don't get it, they all look the same. Black face watch, same bracelet." As for the dial, it's a "refinished Comex dial on original gen plate" as per MQ.

Update!!! The Zigmeister has hit a road block. It appears this particular case won't accept a gen movement. What are my options? A Phong case? I'm somewhat concerned about getting another MBK/MBW. Help! Anyone have a spare 1665 case that can accept a gen 1570?

As per The Zigmeister, "the placement of the movement was found to be too far forward, the stem is sitting on the very edge of the tube hole, no where near where it should be in the center of the crown tube." Conclusion : this case was not made to accept a gen movement.

I wonder if your movement has the wrong calendar ring? If the ring is too shallow, the movement will sit too far forward, leaving the stem in the position Ziggy describes. I did not have this problem with mine, but I did have it with my Phase II GMT, which was cured by replacing the ring on the 1036 movement I sourced from another watch with the correct 1 for the 6542. My guess is that your movement came from a watch with a shallower case. Alternatively, you could use a thin, flat spacer, thick enough to raise the stem to the required height, between the dial & case opening.

Is your case one of the old MBW cases, or is it one of the newer ones? Not sure that there is any difference between the cases, but it's possible? Would a movement out of a model like a Datejust have a thinner calendar ring?

It's an old school MBW / MBK case. I had 3 1665's. One is already fitted with a gen 1570, a second was sold and the 3rd is giving us a hard time. This last one was sourced from a member who purchased it from George many many years ago.

• 1 month later...