When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Double Double: Panerai PAM00022B "Left Hook"

w0lf

Evening gentlemen,

I've been looking forward to this build for many reasons.  First there's something about models designations that read both ways: 22, 55, 88, 111... well, maybe I didn't think this logic through because 33 is hideous...  But in any case, I like the number, it's also in the title of one of my favorite of Heller's books and the Officine Panerai Luminor 22 is a damn fine timepiece!  It's a rare model and I'm not talking about the readily available over-the-counter rep stuff right now.  I'm talking prime time, big kahuna, genuine dial franken so sweet that there was only one ever to cross the forum channels on its trajectory from Singapore to Korea.  

So naturally, when I got a line on a genuine "B" year marker dial, I had to have it, nevermind the cost.  The build was already coming together in my head as I hit the payment button when I realized that there's never been a good destro contemporary crownguard. Sure there was a somewhat decent one on the discontinued PAM239, but finding one for sale and still ending up with a part that would not mate an OEM spec case and crown I was planning to use was less than ideal.  So rather then wait and hope something would turn up I just decided to make a custom destro CG.  In addition I tried to incorporate all of the usual parts tweaks along some fresh ones that I've been meaning to try in a build so you be the judge and if anyone is interested in the final parts list I can add that later.

After the crownguard spherical taper was milled and the final luster put on, I started on the lever with the usual pin sleeve:

22_cg-1_zps2dbc0544.jpg

A facet near the lever tip for mating with the sloping surface inside crownguard body:

22_cg-4_zps57c5c74c.jpg

Finally beveled the edges:

22_cg-2_zps4771089b.jpg

A bit of caring touch goes a long way in the looks department. Nothing says OEM CG better than the above details along with an ever so slightly recessed and perfectly flat and polished lever pin:

22_cg-3_zps2ae31589.jpg

With an absolute mint, immaculate dial like this:

22_dial_zps08c337bd.jpg

You simply cannot skimp on other parts or details, no matter how small. So a gold plated brass HW was used as in the genuine. A nickel plated HW on anything other than PreV models is a big giveaway.

22_gold_cp_zpsb86d0cb9.jpg

22_movt-1_zpsa8d6bbcf.jpg

After about two weeks of tweaking all the bits and getting them to look the biz, I'm in the home stretch, ready to assemble:

22_prep_zps45deb242.jpg

You can see the JimmyZFu case crown tube finishing its curing in bottom right.  The crown is finished, albeit I forgot to take pics of the re-beveling process, promise I'll include in the next one. Time to put her together.

hands_set_zps645f3950.jpg

hands_set2_zpsd6754e2a.jpg

There's just not enough hours in a weekday night to do it all so I let her rest for the night, will pick up tomorrow:

22_dial_glow_zps7291217b.jpg

All put together with a fully serviced movement and ready to wear on my favorite B-series calf. Look at that amplitude!

22_movt-2_zps772e5e8f.jpg

And she goes on the wrist; you just can't top a genuine dial build:

22_wristy-1_zpsdd6a3137.jpg

22_wristy-2_zps0babc718.jpg

Just another great build and post from w0lf...

This one is making me miss the 115G I let go...

Those gen dial frankens you keep building are so choice!  

It must bring a smile to your face everytime you look down and see it on the wrist...enjoy that beauty!