When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new Navitimer rep.

rionrlty

I've been collecting both gens and reps for almost 20 years.  I have over 100 reps, many of them cheaper examples and many with quartz movements.  I have only been on the forum now for a few weeks. 

For the last 6 years I've been wearing, as my main, watch a Navitimer Serie Speciale black dial with an early A7750 movement that I sourced from Narikaa.  I loved that watch even though It had silver subdials and I was never sure if that was accurate.  The watch always ran slow, one minute plus per day, so had to be adjusted frequently.  Probably because of this the stem finally pulled out and would not stay in.  Also the bezzle loosened up until it rattled and and had no resistence to turning.  I finally glued it in place.  I tried to have the watch fixed but was unable to. 

A couple of weeks ago I started looking for a replacement.  I finally bought a catch and release from one of the members through the for sale forum.  It was the black and white version with the 28,800 A7750 movement, but not a Serie Speciale.  It came with SS band, plus a leather band with deployant clasp.  I am extremely happy with it, especially since I Iearned after receiving it that production had stopped and they were no longer available, even considering the flaws noted in some of the reviews.  I've been wearing it for perhaps a week now and surprise!  It seems to be keeping perfect time.  I have a small wrist and this is my favorite watch style of all time.

The SS band, which had never been adjusted, just fits my small wrist at full length, so is very short and probably would not be long enough for most people.  The Serie Speciale came with 4 links more than needed.  Per advise on the forum I soaked and lubricated the band to loosen it up.  Regrettably this also loosened some of the tiny screws in the pins and one went missing.  I had extra links from the Serie Speciale so tried one of those screws.  The threads did not match.  The pin for the old band was slightly larger than the new one so did not fit.  After reducing the size slightly it was made to fit and my band is now complete, but if I lose another screw, I am screwed (pun intended).

My biggest complaint with this watch, other than the band, is the engraving on the back. While correct, it is lazer etched and very shallow.  I have other, cheaper Navitimer reps with accurate backs but none will interchange.  I am considering changing to the incorrect back off of my Serie Speciale (if it will fit) just so it doesn't look so cheap.

Here are a few pictures of the new watch.  rionrlty

post-51783-0-40437300-1363473214_thumb.j

post-51783-0-02023100-1363473219_thumb.j

post-51783-0-46889500-1363473225_thumb.j

post-51783-0-20514600-1363473232_thumb.j

• Like 1

Congrats mate! My black Navi is my favorite watch - even with the well known flaws - since I got it 5 month ago.

I'm preferring the black leather strap, but that's only personal taste...

Wear your Navi well, and let's cross our fingers that the rumors for a new decent Navi rep in autumn this year are true...

A few years ago a cache of new old stock Breitlings was found in the old factory building they occupied before going out of business.  There were stop watches, and others but the one Iiked bestg was a gold plated Cosmonaute 24 hour watch with black dial.  It came without a band or buckle.  I had a gen buckle so I sourced an aftermarket band for it.  I wish I still had it for comparison reasons.  If I remember right, although it looked like modern Navitimers, it was only about 40mm in size (Modern Navs are near 42mm).  It was also hand wind but lacked the heft of the later ones to.  rionrlty

Its not easy to take a picture of 100 watches all at one time but I will try to take smaller groupings and post them.  Like I said, the older ones or more of the cheaper ones and many are fantasy reps.  I moved about a year ago and just got my photo gear set up for the first time since the move.  I expect I'll be posting some of the better ones in the for sale forum because want get some new ones.  rionrtly

• Like 1

Thanks, I appreciate that. I had around 50 in my old collection several years ago, and back then I was asked to take a group shot, so laid them all out on my double bed, you may want to try that too, as seeing them all is really good eye candy ;)

I'll give it a try but most of my watch picture taking is with a good digital with a super macro setting in special light box which is too small to hold more than maybe 5 watches at a time.  I'll have to experiment with settings on the camera and see what happens.  rionrlty

First thing, wow over 100 reps, that's a lot!

Nice Navitimer you've got there! wear it well 

Congrats mate! My black Navi is my favorite watch - even with the well known flaws - since I got it 5 month ago.

I'm preferring the black leather strap, but that's only personal taste...

Wear your Navi well, and let's cross our fingers that the rumors for a new decent Navi rep in autumn this year are true...

You know my fingers are crossed for that new Navi mate!  ;)

My biggest complaint with this watch, other than the band, is the engraving on the back. While correct, it is lazer etched and very shallow.  I have other, cheaper Navitimer reps with accurate backs but none will interchange.  I am considering changing to the incorrect back off of my Serie Speciale (if it will fit) just so it doesn't look so cheap.

Here are a few pictures of the new watch.  rionrlty

I think that you should be more worried about the sunken date wheel and wrong number fonts rather than the engraving on the back, since this is barely noticeable when the watch is on the wrist.

and the slide ruler alignment

Other than that is a beautiful watch, wear it in good health mate :)

J

• 2 weeks later...

The Navitimer is a true classic. One of my first expensive replicas! :) 

Personally, I think the Serie Spesiale caseback, with the misspellings of Messerschmitt Bf 109, is way more of a tell than the regular Navitimer caseback. ;)