When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Black Dial Stainless Steel Tag Heuer Carrera Chronograph 43mm

SSTEEL

Had a bit of spare time today, so started on the Carrera frankening work, but today I only wanted to remove movement to inspect the pushers construction to see if they were gen like, but sadly they are not, so I will not be able to use my gen pushers in this project, but no problem. I will buy a cheap quartz model to experiment on further with the pushers, so alls not lost yet.

Onto the photos..

Movement complete with dial, and movement holder. Photos for reference in case I need to refit the movement holder to the same position on the gen Calibre 16 movement.

SANY0562_zps953d38db.jpg

SANY0563_zps31c57786.jpg

SANY0564_zpsa5b169bd.jpg

Photos of fitted rep pushers, notice the lack of small flat screwdriver slot..

SANY0565_zps89ec2fed.jpg

SANY0566_zps906c6c9d.jpg

Gen pusher, showing the screw end..

SANY0567_zpsa4f7476f.jpg

Another, better (I hope) photo of the rep internal end with no screw slot..

SANY0568_zps3a568255.jpg

The rep pushers are held in place with what looks like tiny cir-clips, and on closer inspection, they do have rubber o-rings for water resistance, which is a bonus.  

I have decided at this point that I will only complete this project once I have received my water resistance tester, and hand press, so I apologise to those who have been following this project, and looking forward to the finished project, but alas it won't be completed now until August time due to family vacation, and parts/tools arriving.

Photos below after movement holder ring removed from the movement.  The holder is machined to exact tolerances to simply push fit onto the movement, and it was not screwed in place as I first thought.  Lets hope I don't need to rework this holder for the Calibre 16.  We shall see.

SANY0569_zpse2a39ee1.jpg

SANY0570_zps61ce023f.jpg

Rep movement holder..

SANY0571_zps992a247a.jpg

And to close, a photo of where the rep movement will reside until I get that cheap quartz Carrera to play with ;)

SANY0572_zps96aedcfa.jpg

There is a case back gasket, and crown inner gasket I discovered, the latter seals on the non-screw-down tube, so whilst not a tight water resistance seal, it is sealed nevertheless.  As mentioned above, I will be carrying out a water resistance test when I get my tool, and obviously post results in this thread.

Thanks for following :)

Curiosity got the better of me, I wanted to check if the Calibre 16 gen movement would fit the rep 7750 movement holder, and it looks very very tight, and unsure if it will actually fit at all, I didn't want to push too hard in fitting it just yet, as I will need to get to the dial feet holders on the sides of the movement.

Once dial is fitted, I will try again.

Someone asked over on RWI if my red tipped Gen hands were shorter that the reps, so I took the photo below.

My gen sub-dial hands are very slightly bigger/longer. (The red tipped ones, the seconds hand, non-red tipped is shorter than these, as per gen, and rep)

Rep fitted, gen in tweezer.

8764805053_6bb38f21ac_b.jpg

Just after I took this photo for you the hand went flying from the tweezers, but luckily I found it not too far away on my work bench :D

Another update for you all, and some more eye candy, yes I said I wasn't going to complete the transplant fully until August, but I just couldn't help myself, and had to finish the job :)

Fitted the gen dial to the Calibre 16..

SANY0574_zpsb12c3650.jpg

Photo of one of the dial feet anchors..

SANY0575_zpsf3c6f51f.jpg

Rep movement holder fitted, it was tight, but fitting over the crown and pushers side first made the job much easier.  

Just a note, the movement in this model is held down with three screws, and plates, the tiny plates have an angle on the end that goes into the groove on the inner case, you need to make sure this angled part is facing upwards, facing you with the watch dial facing down.  If you fit these the wrong way round, the movement will move.

See photo below of one of said clips..

SANY0584_zpsc7579216.jpg

SANY0576_zpsac2814a0.jpg

Then it was time to fit the hands, and I thought I would tackle the hardest ones first, the sub-dial tiny hands..

SANY0577_zps295d8c8e.jpg

SANY0578_zpsa7b54bca.jpg

SANY0579_zps78bf03cd.jpg

SANY0580_zpsa0cae2f4.jpg

SANY0581_zpsbcbbf5b1.jpg

SANY0582_zps25b0c1d4.jpg

Fitting of the sub-dial hands was tedious, but patience is paramount here, just take your time, use your loupe, and easy does it.  

Refitting the hour, minutes, and chronograph hands was easier, but at first I hadn't pushed the hour hand down enough, and when testing the hands to see if they rubbed, rub they did, so off they came, and refitted correctly, checking clearance this time round with my loupe.

Then back into the case..

SANY0583_zpsd0ddd45f.jpg

SANY0585_zpscb5d7656.jpg

SANY0586_zps91efea60.jpg

SANY0587_zps5143d35f.jpg

Admiring my work, I realise in my excitement, I forgot to use the blower, and then I spotted this next to the C of Carrera, ARRRRRRRGGGGG

SANY0588_zps65733ae7.jpg

So, whipped the back off again, removed movement, then gave everything a good blow, and rodico treatment to make sure.

SANY0589_zps6925e20d.jpg

SANY0590_zps5a70f5ee.jpg

SANY0591_zps9ac97d6d.jpg

Now, before fitting the hands earlier, I set to what I thought was midnight.  How I came to this conclusion was with the crown in the right position, I turned anticlockwise until the day changed, then I turned clockwise so the date changed, then to double make sure, I then pulled the crown to the time set position, and continued to turn the crown clockwise until the day, and date changed.  When they changed I assumed it was midnight.

You know what they say about assumption, well, yes, it fcuked up lol, once I fit everything, and checking the day/date flip over, I got to midnight, and it didn't change.  I continues to turn the crown, and the day, and date finally switched to the next day'date at 3AM DOH!

I will correct this next time I remove the movement when I do the water resistance test.

As of right now, everything is pretty much done, just need to trim the stem as its a few mm long, and also fit the gen bracelet resize, and enjoy my franken Carrera.

If you have been following, and actually reading as well as enjoying the eye candy, then well done, congrats, and thanks for following my progress on this project.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask away!

Cheers

Micky

• Like 1

I tried to remove those smudges from the hands with rodico, but alas the marks are still there, and although they cannot be seen with the naked eye, looking at my photos above, they are clearly seen, so need to do something about those.

Anyone got any ideas on how to remove those smudges on the hands?  Q Tips with something wet?

Ok, and all done with the transplant, and stem cutting :)  Onto some photos for you all, more later with the gen bracelet fitted, and more importantly, the infamous wrist shot :D

SANY0592_zpsf5fabc37.jpg

SANY0593_zps29e520ca.jpg

SANY0594_zpsfa22e6bc.jpg

SANY0595_zps5102c2f6.jpg

SANY0596_zps1010d4af.jpg

SANY0597_zps851f1fac.jpg

SANY0598_zps9a04096c.jpg

SANY0599_zps09b66eed.jpg

SANY0600_zpsd5383adf.jpg

And the heart, the Genuine Tag Heuer Swiss 7750 ETA Calibre decorated Calibre 16 :)

SANY0601_zps2382e497.jpg

SANY0602_zps85a3ac16.jpg

SANY0603_zps5d0d60ea.jpg

Just about to have lunch now, so after I've eaten, I will fit, resize, and wear this beauty, and of course give you some more eye candy too ;)

Thanks for following everyone!

Ok guys, a little more eye candy for you, I removed a full link from the gen bracelet, but it still wears a little too loose, so will remove a half link, and see how that feels.  Here's a few photos of the Carrera on the bracelet, enjoy!

SANY0604_zpsc5a883d0.jpg

SANY0605_zps275f08a9.jpg

SANY0606_zpsf161750c.jpg

Beautiful, stunning....jealous!

You done real good there, congratulations.

Just one question, is there any noticeable external difference in the gen vs rep pushers that you can tell? (i know you didn't fit the gens)

Cheers.

Thanks again guys.

@ceejay - No notice difference with the pushers at all :)

The only thing I need to do to the exterior is change the bezel, as the Y is crap in the word TACHYMETRE

• 3 weeks later...

This will be a great piece when all together! How much did the dial cost? Did you order it direct from tag?

It's pretty much done now, and have been wearing the Carrera every day since.  The gen dial cost $350.

The only parts I need to replace for gen, are the bezel insert, and chapter ring.  These two parts alone cost another $320

I did plan on replacing the crystal, and case set for get, but the price I have been quoted is $1000 for the case set, (Only available from TAG themselves) and that is too much for me really, so will try and get my gen pushers fitted in my spare rep case set I got.  This alone will involve tap and die work, as the gen pushers are screwed into place on a gen, whereas on the rep they are slotted into the case, and retained by tiny cir clips.

As to the gen crystal, I am unsure if it will fit the rep case, so have requested measurements of the gen crystal, and will compare to my rep measurements.

Edited by SSTEEL

I was outside the TAG AD yesterday and had mine on my wrist, I was comparing to the gen in the window, with the distance between the glass and the gen I really couldn't see much difference.

All that was in it was just a certain 'look' about the gen, it had a clarity about it through the crystal that made the difference in textures and finishes stand out a little more.

Very close.

I think if you can get a gen crystal on it then it will be the icing on the cake!

Keep us updated :)

P.S. I done the first little mod on mine, I removed all the obvious blue screws in the 7750 and polished them, it's a start ;)

I was outside the TAG AD yesterday and had mine on my wrist, I was comparing to the gen in the window, with the distance between the glass and the gen I really couldn't see much difference.

All that was in it was just a certain 'look' about the gen, it had a clarity about it through the crystal that made the difference in textures and finishes stand out a little more.

Very close.

I think if you can get a gen crystal on it then it will be the icing on the cake!

Keep us updated :)

P.S. I done the first little mod on mine, I removed all the obvious blue screws in the 7750 and polished them, it's a start ;)

I'm hoping the measurements of the gen crystal match the rep measurements :)  Then the icing on the cake will indeed ring true here :)

Congrats on your first mod.  You managed to remove every blue screw, and replace for silver?  I know one or two are quite tricky to get to.

EDIT - Oh you polished the blue off.  I would of advised against that due to how thin, and fragile the screw heads are, but if you managed it ok, then all well and good :thumbs:

Edited by SSTEEL

My mail man Jason has this in gen.that he paid $2800.00 for and I can't wait to show him this, I'm slowly getting him into the rep world and he will be amazed at this.  And I can't wait to see your finished product, I know it will be a true work of art. I am personally very impressed with what you are doing, I just wish my old hands aren't so shakey so I could get the enjoyment and self satisfaction of completing a  project such as this.

• Like 1