When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Been away for years but my obsession is killing me.

fitmic

Hi.

I've been away for some time, and most of you guys don't know or remember me.

That's fine.

The reason I quit buying reps are the quality issues and the feeling "I knew that pos would brake down" when something happens to your watch.

My local watch repair guy died last year, and a new guy continued the business. He's scratched dials, broke a movement completely. So I won't go to him anymore.

I've spent thousands of dollars buying and repairing broken watches.

I have some questions regarding the market today:

1. How do the Asian etas compare to the swiss ones?

2. Will they accept swiss parts if they need to be fixed in the future?

3. Any reliable watchrepair guys in Europe (who will service and waterproof watches)?

4. Anyone in Europe who's reluming dials?

I guess that's all my friends.

Thanks for taking time reading this!

Welcome back my friend, I too was away for several years.  Many things have changed, some not so much.  All the answers to your questions can be found by looking around, and you will see plenty of scope on your answers :)

welcome back to the whackiest of hobbies! the asian eta clones of the 2824-2 etc are pretty highly regarded, im pretty sure 99% of genuine swiss movement parts will fit if needed, i replaced the keyless works assembly with swiss on 2 of mine with no fuss. there are modders/watchsmiths in the EU, many members will point you in the right direction. 

quality and choice has got better, but they are still reps and do still have problems. a quick search through old threads will give a wealth of info! just dive in and have fun!

Welcome back. Some of us have come and gone and come back, some have come and gone, others never left!!

I have to second what several have said before. When we started years ago, there weren't many really good quality reps, Eddie Lee had some nice Pams, River as well, George, Maria with the MBW Rolexes, but after that the reps were for the most part pretty crappy, at least the ones I had. One thing that's different, back then, the Swiss ETA's were and option in pretty much all the upper end reps, not so much any more, as the ETA's are getting scarce and expensive.

Several very good modders/ watchmakers in the EU, so if you get back in, shouldn't have a problem with modding and service.

Great to see you back again. Yeah, the rep business is now a full fledged industry with real factories, higher prices and much more broadly available higher quallity pieces. I don't remember when you went on hiatus but now the stakes are higher with the more expensive reps and the dealers even provide QC pics.

Welcome back Fitmic.

IMO the quality of the current reps improved dramatically .

I'm in the same situation were I have to send my watch out to get the work done cause I have no to do it myself.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah...welcome back....I've also been in and out a few times since the old days, and since I usually only buy asian movement models, I haven't been keeping up to date with the repair end of things...When they break(which only has happened a few times), I just drop them into my junk box and move on... 

Yeah that's the same with me. I left a few years ago because RWG was turning into a real cesspool but I've come back just because I could not resist the watches. It looks like some things have changed for the better around here at least from what I can see... they are not begging for money like they used to LOL

We'll see.

Hi.

I've been away for some time, and most of you guys don't know or remember me.

That's fine.

The reason I quit buying reps are the quality issues and the feeling "I knew that pos would brake down" when something happens to your watch.

My local watch repair guy died last year, and a new guy continued the business. He's scratched dials, broke a movement completely. So I won't go to him anymore.

I've spent thousands of dollars buying and repairing broken watches.

I have some questions regarding the market today:

1. How do the Asian etas compare to the swiss ones?

2. Will they accept swiss parts if they need to be fixed in the future?

3. Any reliable watchrepair guys in Europe (who will service and waterproof watches)?

4. Anyone in Europe who's reluming dials?

I guess that's all my friends.

Thanks for taking time reading this!

1. Swiss is better, obviously ;)

2. Theoretically, yes

3. Domi ( http://www.domiontime.com wilerwetta@gmail.com )

4. Domi 

Btw, welcome back ;)

Edited by ressmeplz