When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5ATM good enough for swim?

Erict719

The "dynamic pressure" thing is highly exaggerated.  At most, you're adding 2m worth.  You aren't physically capable of moving your arm fast enough to cause a problem.

Is that the scientific answer "2m" or just a guess

As far as i know people swim differently, i am sure Micheal Phelps can put more pressure than me on a watch when swimming

Is that the scientific answer "2m" or just a guess

As far as i know people swim differently, i am sure Micheal Phelps can put more pressure than me on a watch when swimming

It's the scientific answer.  Anyone who passed Physics 101 could explain it to you.

Michael Phelps might get it up to 3m.

The idea that dynamic pressure multiplies the static pressure is just plain wrong.

So if the difference between a swimmer and a strong swimmer can be 50% how does that pan out at different depths<br /><br />How is the difference measured? is there a formular that can be applied to speedxdepth= apparent pressure and if so is this based on a solid sphere or an irregular object with joins and seals?

So if the difference between a swimmer and a strong swimmer can be 50% how does that pan out at different depths<br /><br />How is the difference measured? is there a formular that can be applied to speedxdepth= apparent pressure and if so is this based on a solid sphere or an irregular object with joins and seals?

So if I am Michael Phelps swimming in the Mariana Trench I may have to go with the Deep Sea Challenge. :)

On a serious note, here a tip for all you multiple piece PAM owners. If your watch hasn't been pressure tested don't use the rubber strap - that way you  naturally take it off before you go swimming or hit the hot tub with that playmate. I learned that one the hard way years ago. ;)

• Like 1

Way my local watchmaker explains it:

http://www.jonvincent.co.uk/trade/macticker-depth-ratings-explained.aspx  :snorkel:

Regards

Very good little cartoon explanation. Just because your pressure tester onl goes to 5-6 atmos.,and your watch passes, doesn't mean that that the watch isn't WR to more than 5, that's all you can test for. however, it may be on the verge of failure at 5 atmos, and you go snorkling and at 15 feet, your watch floods. What I'm trying to say is anything you do with your watch at depths beyond the pressure test limits are risky. A flood in fresh water if taken care of quickly may not be catastropic, but if it floods in salt water, lots of damage can occur before you get the caseback off and get it rinsed out with fresh water. One pproblem is, lots of us have tools ,etc at home that we use to open casebacks, but how many take a caseback opener on vacation!! 

Cause it survived and a lot more as it was tested to 5atm, and that is fine for surface swimming and mesing about in the pool

here is a rep double red in the pool

DSCF0910.jpg

A 5512 that i took sailng, and you get wet on a 30footer in november

DSCF1333.jpg

A DRSD a great white and 1680

DSCF0982.jpg

An ingy under water and even the gen is only 12 atm, but you have to bear in mind i have my own tester and tools and the experience to be able to seal test and retest, in dry vacume and under presure wet at home.

DSC00685.jpg

It is not realy the reps, take some thing like the Ingy, or the Breitling steel fish, all top quality components, it is the QC that they recieve that is the problem, but i make up for that by being able to do it my self

Very good little cartoon explanation. Just because your pressure tester onl goes to 5-6 atmos.,and your watch passes, doesn't mean that that the watch isn't WR to more than 5, that's all you can test for. however, it may be on the verge of failure at 5 atmos, and you go snorkling and at 15 feet, your watch floods. What I'm trying to say is anything you do with your watch at depths beyond the pressure test limits are risky. A flood in fresh water if taken care of quickly may not be catastropic, but if it floods in salt water, lots of damage can occur before you get the caseback off and get it rinsed out with fresh water. One pproblem is, lots of us have tools ,etc at home that we use to open casebacks, but how many take a caseback opener on vacation!! 

5ATM is 170 feet, not 15 feet. There are 34 feet of depth per atmosphere.

A watch which passes at 3ATM can go past 100 feet of depth. Should you do this? NO don't dive to 100 feet wearing a replica watch as your diving gear.

I've got a Big Daz 6538 here in Hawaii, fresh back from Ziggy's spa. The crystal was glued in when I first got it, so Ziggy couldn't improve that. He added an Athaya crown and tube, and greased up the seals. For two days I've been underwater for hours at a time bashing it against rock and coral :whistling: and it hasn't leaked a drop. I haven't gone below 100' yet but so far no worries. A simple Oyster case well set up is a stout piece of hardware.

You really do think I'm making this up, don't you?  OK.

The formula is:  Pressure change (in Pascals) equals one-half the density times the velocity squared.

1 Pascal = .00001ATM.  The density of fresh water is 1000kg per square meter, seawater is 1030kg/m^3.  Velocity is in meters per second.

Raising the pressure by 1ATM requires a velocity of 14.25m/s, which is 51km/h or 32mph.

Like I said, Physics 101.