When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

building a franken datejust

aurelienconiglio

Hi everyone,

i am actually building an franken datejust, at this point i'm having a problem, here is what i got:

gen 1603 case with gen plexi and gen bezel,

gen silver dial

tudor hands and 2824-2 eta movement.

aftermarket oyster bracelet and gen explorer clasp

here is my question, how to hold the movement in the case?

they use plastic movement holder in the replicas, where to find one?

thanks a lot for answer

i will do a complete topic once i've fixed it

The 160xx cases use this one (with minor modification):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Movement-Ring-for-ETA-2824-or-others-that-fit-Size-2-/151005643075?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2328a34143

Not sure about the 1603 case though.

Also, just as an FYI, the gen 1603 came on a Jubilee bracelet, not Oyster.

Edited by tomhorn

aurelienconiglio, on 22 Apr 2013 - 4:37 PM, said:

alright i understand, would this one on ebay fit my 2824-2movement in my 1603 gen case?

thanks a lot guys for helping !

The enlargement ring for the 16000 case and the 1603 case would be the same ring, since both cases originally held the same Rolex 1570 movement.

Hi,

no offense, but if you really need to ask how to mount a movement ring to hold an ETA, you should better ask a trained watchmaker or one of the modders here to do the job for you.

Edith:  maybe I should be more patient: It's just a ring! You take the movement (dial mounted) and place it in the case, then you place the ring into the case in the space between the movement and the case wall, then you fix it with movement tabs and screws.

Edith 2: maybe I should be more teaching: the Rolex 1570 is a 12 1/2 ligne movement (28,3mm) the ETA 2824 is a 11 1/2 ligne (25,6mm) movement, so you have to enlarge the diameter of the ETA movement to be as big as a 12 1/2 ligne movement.

Hope this is enough...

Edited by 1680

You have recieved some good advise. Be sure, with your dial mounted on your movement, to ck the alignment of the stem in the case tube. If it is not in the center of the case tube, you need to do whatever is necassary to align it. Either a thicker dial ring, to move it down, or cut the rehaut to move it up. Good luck

hi

@1680: this is what i needed to know! and sorry to do not know as much stuff as you ! i obviously not going to do it myself and will give the job to a person that is the job. but before that i like to understand this ring thing.

thanks a lot to all for helping, this was helpfull

watch building in a topic soon

regards

Great that we are able to come here and work with each other on projects unfortunately it cost money to run so please help out.

From the Chief:

If you think $5 per month is to expensive (or $3 per month, if you pay by the year), I have created a special RWG supporter-membership( or the "cost-less-then-a-cup-of-coffee-membership" ;) ). This will only cost you $2 per month (Can only be purchased on a pay-per-month basis) This will remove the ads from the forum and you will get a RWG Supporter tag, but that's about it.. You can upgrade to this special membership here: http://account.selg....ndex/c/26QFkdw3

i do have a nice silver panpie dial yes

The conventional wisdom is the at 16000 case takes a 2836 movement and a 1600 case takes a 2824 movements, however, if you use the piepan dial (which, granted, came in the 1603) then that almost moves the stem height into a 2836 position.  It is rather "in-between".

Be sure to do what Matt said and make sure your stem in centered.  Once you clamp the movement down, it puts the stem in a serious and continuous strain if it is not mighty close to center of the tube.

The conventional wisdom is the at 16000 case takes a 2836 movement and a 1600 case takes a 2824 movements, however, if you use the piepan dial (which, granted, came in the 1603) then that almost moves the stem height into a 2836 position.  It is rather "in-between".

Be sure to do what Matt said and make sure your stem in centered.  Once you clamp the movement down, it puts the stem in a serious and continuous strain if it is not mighty close to center of the tube.

I actually disagree on the 2836 for the 16000 case. I know a lot of people use it because it's easier, but the stem position can't be centered as well as it can with a 2824. It's close enough not to cause major issues, but IMO the 2824 is better if you are willing to do the additional work (dial and DW spacing).

Edited by tomhorn

Lets keep it simple. First the 2824 is the best choice, hands down. For the movement ring they come in various sizes. The metal rings can be modified to work and are the best choice. However a plastic retainer is easier to fit, and done correctly, will work just fine. Finding the right ring, metal or plastic, is difficult. You generally have to buy a bag of movement retainers to find the right one, it is in the bag. Those can be purchased at any watch supply house like juless-borrel or cas-ker  good luck.